Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jun 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #3,437 of 9,902
Unless someone asks, this will be my last comment regarding the EL34PH. I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm trolling...

I'll go out on a limb here and say it wouldn't surprise me if the EL34PH receives some type of Audio award this year.

The only analogy I can think of, is that all the tubes I've tried before was like putting regular gas in a high performance engine, when it should have been using supreme gas (high octane). If anyone has done this, they'll know what I talking about.

The synergy with the BHSE is at the highest level you could imagine.

Thank you Golfnutz for this clear and strong assessment. What about the price of the EL34PH compared the Shuguang? Will you also test the EL34PH, Justin?

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #3,443 of 9,902
I plan on running the XLR balanced out of my pre-amp to the BHSE (the potential one, that is still in parts at Justin's new shop). The pre-amp has the turntable, DAC, cable box, and Oppo 95 running into it.  It just seems simpler to keep the pre-amp in the loop, rather than trying to run all the sources through the BHSE first. I do tend to listen to the speakers primarily.  Will see if this changes with the BHSE.  I am assembling the shelves this week which will be holding the headphone amp, I will have a Bottlehead Crack with HD650s as a place holder until this batch of BHSE ships. (hmm, I will  have to see if there are 2 pair of RCA outs on my pre-amp, the Crack does not do balanced.

My power amp only has RCA single ended inputs, so it already has a long pair of RCA cables from the pre-amp to it and therefore the speakers.

I plan to run some sort of input from my non-music server computer into one of the RCA pairs on the BHSE just to be able to listen to random stuff from the computer through the headphones, rather than the computer speakers. (Currently those are an AudioEngine D1 and some Bang & Olefson powered computer speakers)

Undecided about getting different tubes.  I will run in the BHSE in with the stock tubes, I have a nicely broken in Quad of Sed Winged C EL34s to try before considering another set of EL34/6CA7 tubes.  I have a quad of the Shugang Treasure 6CA7 tubes in my power amp, which I might try, and see whether I prefer the EL34 or the 6CA7.  I know I liked the 6CA7 better in my power amp.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #3,444 of 9,902
Phil95, With all due respect, why do you so consistently ask - urge - Justin to respond to your questions/suggestions via public posts?   Can't you PM him rather than do all this via the public forum?

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #3,445 of 9,902
Quote:
Phil95, With all due respect, why do you so consistently ask - urge - Justin to respond to your questions/suggestions via public posts?   Can't you PM him rather than do all this via the public forum?

If I may, and with all due respect, of course, I think that he does it once in a while because he assumes that it makes life easier for Justin to respond once to one question, rather than having to answer many PM from different people.

Why are you -- you are not alone, I know -- so annoyed by this? Just skip his posts, don't read them if it disturbs you that much. It is not as if he were saturating this thread with questions about an order...

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #3,446 of 9,902
You know satora ...I can't put my finger on why he elicits that reaction ... it could be the imperious tone of his messages (Justin, you 'should' ...) or simply the nagging and repetitious content of the messages, or just the predictability of them at this point.  Free world and all that, so he can post what he wants ...

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #3,450 of 9,902
Hello everybody at Head-Fi My latest questions were about Justin's opinion about the tubes that best fit the BHSE -a matter that is frequently raised, and that probably interests several persons; valuable views have been expressed on this topic, and I think Justin's opinion is more than valuable. It's also interesting to know if tube options will be proposed (as suggested by J. himself a few weeks ago) and what the price will be. As for being abrupt or too forward when asking questions to Justin, I thought that "should" was polite compared to "must'" or "have to"... For instance: "Justin, the BHSE delivery period shouldn't be so long" is quite polite in my opinion -but English isn't my native language. Best regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back