Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Mar 4, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #3,122 of 9,902
I would agree that some head-fiers tend to undervalue the quality of their source. However I personally think a $10,000+ source isn't necessary. The Resolution Cantata ($6000), Reasonessence Invicta ($4000), PWDmk2 ($4000), and even NAD M51 ($2000) would be excellent choices in my opinion. Similarly for CD players a used Accuphase (~$3000 - 5000) would be fine. I've heard some of these pairings at meets and know some head-fiers with them who are very satisfied, and personally speaking I'd be rather suspect as to just how much return you'd see investing twice as much.

Unless we're talking turntables / tonearms / carts. In which case the ceiling seems much higher than DACs and CD players IMHO.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #3,123 of 9,902
Quote:
I would agree that some head-fiers tend to undervalue the quality of their source. However I personally think a $10,000+ source isn't necessary. The Resolution Cantata ($6000), Reasonessence Invicta ($4000), PWDmk2 ($4000), and even NAD M51 ($2000) would be excellent choices in my opinion. Similarly for CD players a used Accuphase (~$3000 - 5000) would be fine. I've heard some of these pairings at meets and know some head-fiers with them who are very satisfied, and personally speaking I'd be rather suspect as to just how much return you'd see investing twice as much.

Unless we're talking turntables / tonearms / carts. In which case the ceiling seems much higher than DACs and CD players IMHO.

For me a source hasn't only got to sound good, it must also look amazing and be built like a tank. My source although very expensive, gives me all three in abundance.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #3,124 of 9,902
Quote:

^ to wit !

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #3,125 of 9,902
Quote:
Looks like that umbilical from power supply to amp is plenty long... Is that the stock length? 

Or maybe I should just ask, how long is the stock umbilical?

You're seeing three cables going up to that BHSE.  RCA's which are super short, far left is the umbilical, and the longer cables in the middle are XLR's, maybe for loop out.

The umbilical is ~5-6 feet (estimation, without measuring).  It's not too long, but it is very thick and doesn't bend well (unlike say the BA umbilical) so if you have it too close to a wall it just doesn't work.  

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #3,128 of 9,902
Well said... I think I was in the "sources are not that important camp" for a while until I started hearing what a good source can do.  I have most definitely changed my tune.  I couldn't agree more that there are some fantastic options out there that won't require double your BHSE investment! 

Quote:

Thanks for the details!
Quote:
You're seeing three cables going up to that BHSE.  RCA's which are super short, far left is the umbilical, and the longer cables in the middle are XLR's, maybe for loop out.

The umbilical is ~5-6 feet (estimation, without measuring).  It's not too long, but it is very thick and doesn't bend well (unlike say the BA umbilical) so if you have it too close to a wall it just doesn't work.  

Quote:
My BHSE's umbilical is 4 feet which I believe is the standard length.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #3,129 of 9,902
As well as my 009 / BHSE, I also use my source with my HD600 / Pico Slim [ I'm using my Pico Slim until I have the GS-X ] and while the SQ isn't to the same level as the 009 / BHSE, it's still very good.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #3,131 of 9,902
Quote:
The amp is 15.5" wide, 12" deep (plus rca jacks and volume knob) 3" tall plus 1.5" feet and about 4" for tubes

The power supply is 7.75" wide 12" deep 3.5" tall plus 1" feet

Thanks Justin,

I am looking at 12 inch deep shelves, but will have to see if I can perhaps move it 2 inches out from the wall to handle the cabling behind the amp.  Looks like 12 inches of space above it would be about right.  I am trying to put the BHSE closer to my desk, and don't have room in the audio rack currently either.

Getting closer to April !

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #3,133 of 9,902
Quote:

Certainly not necessary, but that went out the window long ago. I meant a source where you reaching a point in which you no longer can clearly identify which component is limiting the systems reproduction quality. I think most people will have a system where the source component is the limiter.

ADD: I heard the Rega Saturn a while back and it was not bad for around $3000AU. Enjoyable.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #3,134 of 9,902
Any opinions on the Musical Fidelity CD players. Would they be up to snuff for the bhse/sr009 combo. Is the Rega Saturn better? Are these similar enough to the oppo bdp95 that they wouldn't be a real upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back