HeadAmp AE-2 impressions (w/ burn-in updates) (over)
Apr 12, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #16 of 142
I've posted this pic before. I haven't taken any more since...

simple silver
IMG_0524.jpg

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #17 of 142
That looks pretty BLING BLING! How many colors are there for the AE-2?

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #18 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That looks pretty BLING BLING! How many colors are there for the AE-2?

I think officially only black and silver but you can pick from other colors for the volume knob, atleast this is what I remember from exchanging e-mails with Justin.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #19 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think officially only black and silver but you can pick from other colors for the volume knob, atleast this is what I remember from exchanging e-mails with Justin.

THANKS

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #21 of 142
36-hour burn-in update!

Another holy shmoly! The sound of the amp continues to evolve! I have to say right now that the AE-2 is without a doubt the first portable I've heard with the best soundstage, hands down! It's actually 3D - there's space and you can hear air & reverb! There's depth to the image - it's getting forward and backward info, so a really good recording really does sound like the musicians are right there surrounding you. The AE-1 sounds completely flat in comparison, it's like it just throws everything at a wall, flinging pieces apart hoping to lead you into a sense that you're getting soundstage when you're really not.

Bass continues to fill out - still could use some improvement but it's trickling in. Not yet equivalent to the AD2000's extension.

The treble refinement is becoming clearer and clearer. I'm starting to think it's just not aggressive in nature and this is how it's going to stay. It could still really use better attack to make super-quick notes stand out more, but it's definitely grabbing tiny details that show up only on the AD2000.

Overall the AE-2 has a quality that makes it feel spry, lightweight, and quick. Rhythmic might be a good word. The AE-1 doesn't sound very "speedy" in comparison.

Now might be a good time to add that the AD2000 and the AE-2 are turning out to be a nice pair. I think the AD2000 has better synergy with the Gilmore Lite (for me at least) but the AE-2 is a good partner too - unlike the Gilmore Lite it doesn't compact the air in the soundstage and bring the presentation forward, it's very natural.

The burn-in cycle continues!

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #24 of 142
48-hour burn-in update!

Well, sort of. Nothing new to report. No significantly discernible changes since the last listening session.

Overall sound of the amp is developing similarly to the GS-1. Not that it's as refined, deep, smooth, or has as much black background of course, it just sounds like it has a similarly-shaped frequency response graph, and it has the GS-1's sense of space too.

I guess I can post some impressions on other aspects of the amp though. It's operating at Mid gain and can give plenty of power to drive K701 and K601 without breaking past noon. Shall I test it with High gain for the K340?
tongue.gif

I also really like the finish of the amp body. Nice and smooth, the AE-1 feels a bit grainy in comparison.

Haven't done any tests on battery life so far, will do so this weekend.

And did I mention this AE-2 is going to be at the 2007 International Meet?

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #25 of 142
Hi all! I'm new here.
I also have an AE-2 (serial#AE2010). I can't make a review becouse my poor english level, but I'm very happy with its sound (and the way its sound has been changing since the first time I turn it on).
The only two things that I'm disappointed with the amp are theese:
- the battery life > my AE-2 is only around 30 hours of battery life, not 120,
- the gain switch > the inconvenience that I've to change the gain with a needle.
A very strong-built amp with very good sound quality.

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #26 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by truant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- the battery life > my AE-2 is only around 30 hours of battery life, not 120,

I'm getting about the same battery life. I did a test running it in low gain driving my Grado 325i at around 75 dB. max. using an old NAD CDP as source.

I thought the battery life would be much longer. I plan to do a 5 hour per day run time test to see if this total life changes. I had also planned to test the AE-2 in high gain with HD 650 at the same SPL. I'm changing source to a Denon CDP because something doesn't sound right with the NAD, it sounds like crap.

My AE-2 has approx. 65 hours at this point. Last night I did some listening with my 2003 DT-880 for the first time in high gain. I used my Pioneer Elite DV-45A as source feeding my PreSonus Central Station via SPDIF using its DAC, then 1/4" > RCA into the AE-2.

As ASR mentioned, this amp has a big soundstage , "3D" as he puts it. This was my first impression at less than 10 hours. With the DT-880 traits of being airy and highly detailed, this amp sounds simply amazing to me with this combo.

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #28 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The battery life of the AE-2 should be 30 hours. This is about 3 times longer than it would be with a 9V rechargeable. The amp operates well into Class A as one of the improvements from the AE-1.

Thanks Justin.

Hey, I'm not complaining, I just thought that the AE-1 had a much longer battery life. I love this thing. If the better SQ is the trade off for lower battery life then that's a good thing.

I also timed the recharge time and I believe my second charge took approx. 140 minutes.

A couple questions for you Justin.

1. Is the amp fully charged when the LED goes out? (no need to leave it still plugged in?)

2. Is it ok to power the amp with the AC adapter for normal use both before charging is complete and afterwards?

Thanks.

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #29 of 142
Sounds like the AE-2 is a winnah!

Wonder, however, when he is going to do the promised changes for owners of the AE-1?

I take a man at his word.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back