HeadAmp AE-2 impressions (w/ burn-in updates) (over)
Apr 17, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #31 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

The amp is fully charged when the LED goes out. Then, the charger will turn off until the battery drops to 2/3 voltage, or power is removed and reapplied. So you won't actually be powering the amp with the DC adapter unless it is charging.

Thank you for the quick answers.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #33 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverPilot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like Justin has updated the website with hi-res pics of the AE-2.
Must resist...

I saw those last night. A NICE alternative to the Beloved Hornet. Something new to drool over the 350.00 dollar price point.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #34 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverPilot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like Justin has updated the website with hi-res pics of the AE-2.
Must resist...

AHA!
blink.gif

I didn't know that Justin had updated his site. I've been checking every few days for months.

resistance is futile
evil_smiley.gif

580smile.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #37 of 142
Woohoo! Am I the only smelling an imminent announcement somewhere here on Head-Fi? And maybe another announcement at the 2007 International Meet?
biggrin.gif

DEATHMATCH: HEADAMP AE-2 VS THE RSA HORNET!!!!!!!
tongue.gif

Oh, and I depleted the battery today too. 30 hours seems accurate to me, it ran just about that long powering the AD2000 on Mid gain - the volume knob was at about 10 o'clock.

Whoa, HeadAmp says this puppy can drive up to 600 Ohm headphones now? Hah, I gotta try it with my K340!!!
biggrin.gif
I'll let you guys know what goes down!

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #38 of 142
I really like the looks of the silver one and the laser engraving is ideal for a portable amp.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #40 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The battery life of the AE-2 should be 30 hours. This is about 3 times longer than it would be with a 9V rechargeable. The amp operates well into Class A as one of the improvements from the AE-1.

Thanks Justin for clarify this subject! (I thought that my AE-2's battery was defective)

I can't compare it to The Hornet, but when I received my LaRocco ISA Diablo (I hope to receive it this year
confused.gif
) I'll post here some impressions (with the limitations of my poor english level)

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #41 of 142
Wish gain switch had a cleaner design. Looks like some sort of after thought patch; must let all sort of crap inside the amp through that hole.
frown.gif

But silver case looks classy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #42 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wish gain switch had a cleaner design. Looks like some sort of after thought patch; must let all sort of crap inside the amp through that hole.
frown.gif

But silver case looks classy.
smily_headphones1.gif

You could always put a piece of clear tape over the hole if the small slots around the gain switch is a worry. Double it over at one edge so that it can be pulled back, then restuck. This is what I do with the power switch on my Supermini with black electrical tape to prevent accidental turn on...lithium batteries ain't cheap.

The gain switches are tiny but it isn't very difficult to use.

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #43 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always put a piece of clear tape over the hole if the small slots around the gain switch is a worry. Double it over at one edge so that it can be pulled back, then restuck. This is what I do with the power switch on my Supermini with black electrical tape to prevent accidental turn on...lithium batteries ain't cheap.

The gain switches are tiny but it isn't very difficult to use.

Sad, it could have been perfect otherwise.
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #44 of 142
Access to the gain switches is on the bottom of the amp - do you expect detritus to crawl under the amp and jump up into it?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by skai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review Asr! Do you think the AE-2 will beat the hornet?

I've never heard a Hornet so I can't say. I only wrote that as a rhetorical statement btw, didn't mean to imply that I would be the one to do a comparison between the two.
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #45 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Access to the gain switches is on the bottom of the amp - do you expect detritus to crawl under the amp and jump up into it?
tongue.gif

Let's not forget that it's meant to be a *portable* amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back