HeadAmp AE-2 impressions (w/ burn-in updates) (over)
May 13, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #121 of 142
244-hour burn-in update!

Holy crap where did this bass come from? The amp now has a nice fat bass that works great for pretty much everything! Deep and plush, it really pushes nicely.

The sound of the amp is still clear, open, and detailed. It's nowhere close to the level of the other amps I've been listening to lately, but this is a $350 portable amp, the others are AC-powered behemoths.
tongue.gif

I have found an issue with it - the AC adapter introduces some strange line noise, I noticed it with the CK7. Kinda like a static warbling. Goes away when you unplug it to run off battery.

In comparison to the other amps I've been listening to, I could easily pick out its sonic flaws now but won't - for a portable amp, this is extreme value for the price! Go and buy one now from www.headamp.com! The AE-2 is one of the best new portables in existence!

May 13, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #122 of 142
I'd never heard any noise with the AC adapter plugged into my AE-2. I've just plugged it in again to listen to be sure, nope, no noise. (iPod & HD 650)

Sounds excellent as usual. Oh great, now I'll be listening for 2 hours.
rolleyes.gif

600smile.gif

btw, mine has an estimated 210 hours.

May 13, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #123 of 142
This is a great portable/transportable Grado amp IMHO. I was very impressed by its synnergy with my RS1 Headfest weekend. Smooth, balanced superb image resolution too. Very good bass texture and resolution. Of all the portable amps I heard that weekend, this one was THE one I would pick. I would be completely content using it at home in a mid-fi level setup too.

May 14, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #124 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
244-hour burn-in update!

Holy crap where did this bass come from? The amp now has a nice fat bass that works great for pretty much everything! Deep and plush, it really pushes nicely.

The sound of the amp is still clear, open, and detailed. It's nowhere close to the level of the other amps I've been listening to lately, but this is a $350 portable amp, the others are AC-powered behemoths.
tongue.gif

I have found an issue with it - the AC adapter introduces some strange line noise, I noticed it with the CK7. Kinda like a static warbling. Goes away when you unplug it to run off battery.

In comparison to the other amps I've been listening to, I could easily pick out its sonic flaws now but won't - for a portable amp, this is extreme value for the price! Go and buy one now from www.headamp.com! The AE-2 is one of the best new portables in existence!

So the one I was listening to at the meet (it was silver IIRC) must have had as many or more burn in hours because it had bass to spare! I was really enjoying it... damn still have two more weeks to wait for mine
frown.gif

May 14, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #125 of 142
So is the amp available in black only now?

May 15, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #126 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a great portable/transportable Grado amp IMHO. I was very impressed by its synnergy with my RS1 Headfest weekend. Smooth, balanced superb image resolution too. Very good bass texture and resolution. Of all the portable amps I heard that weekend, this one was THE one I would pick. I would be completely content using it at home in a mid-fi level setup too.

I'm glad to hear this as that is exactly how I plan to use mine. It will become my bedside system (the only headphone system at home). I'm really looking forward to getting it.

Just for information, I keep my hi-fi headphone system at work. I have more time to listen to it there. The birds and cats dominate my time at home.
plainface.gif

May 15, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #127 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is the amp available in black only now?

From what's pictured at HeadAmp there are 3 colors available but other knob color options may be available...like the black w/ gold knob that Asr has. [edit]-I see where it states at the HeadAmp site that only Black is available currently, I'm betting that will change.

ae2_colors_stacked_high.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I would be completely content using it at home in a mid-fi level setup too.

I feel the same way. Using the AE-2 with my Central Station DAC was very impressive with DT-880. The big sound that I heard belied its small size.

Congrats Brian
880smile-2.png

you have made a wise choice

May 16, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #128 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the one I was listening to at the meet (it was silver IIRC) must have had as many or more burn in hours because it had bass to spare! I was really enjoying it... damn still have two more weeks to wait for mine
frown.gif

I haven't asked Justin, but his AE-2 demos at HeadFest must have had extensive "burn in" time, since their sound was leaps and bounds above where Asr's was at that time.

May 20, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #132 of 142
I will now not be writing any more impressions until my future multi-way portable amp review is posted, due to my Loaner Program #6 which starts in a couple weeks. But you can look forward to impressions from 5 other people.
wink.gif

Thus ends my impressions of this amp. I will not be adding any more posts to this thread. The next time I write about this amp will be in my formal multi-way portables review, to be posted later in the summer.

I'd like to close out this impressions thread by saying that this is a great little amp! Those thinking about making the jump should do so without hesitating! HeadAmp's design aesthetic is unique, the features on here make it very versatile, and it's not too small either (personally I have a hard time dealing with amps that are too small since I don't use portable sources or portable headphones much). Hopefully I'll get to compare to the RSA Hornet for the multi-way review too.

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #134 of 142

Users who are viewing this thread

Back