HeadAmp AE-2 impressions (w/ burn-in updates) (over)
May 6, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #107 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiSaMuRaI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard that AE-2 has been discontinued, is it true or just a rumor?

I can't possibly think this is true. I just visited Justin's web site and he is taking orders on his order page and the black is available now. The only reason it may not be otherwise available could because of the orders he is getting for the GS-X. The GS-X is very high demand right now and rightly so.

May 6, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #108 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't possibly think this is true. I just visited Justin's web site and he is taking orders on his order page and the black is available now. The only reason it may not be otherwise available could because of the orders he is getting for the GS-X. The GS-X is very high demand right now and rightly so.

I believe that the AE-1 has been discontinued in favor in the AE-2. I can't believe that the AE-2 has been discontinued. It's starting to take off as maybe the hottest portable out there.

May 7, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #109 of 142
Has anyone compared the AE-2 to the Hornet?

May 7, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #111 of 142
I will be comparing the AE-2 to the RSA Tomahawk and Larocco PRII very soon.

May 7, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #112 of 142
So what will the outcome be? just kidding.

May 7, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #113 of 142
LOL! Actually, the AE-2 looks so cool, I hope it will be better than the AE-1 was, which I found had a nice midrange but was lacking at both frequency extremes.

May 7, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #114 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone compared the AE-2 to the Hornet?

I did at the meet but I don't know how fair it was given the time I spent a/b and the unknown number of burn-in hours the AE-2 I used had.

Based on my brief impressions I would say the Hornet had more sparkle in the top end and maintained better instrument separation. It sounded like there was more space between the instruments. Vocals sounded a tad clearer as well. The AE-2 had a fuller and warmer sound with more umph in the bass dept. The music had a very natural sound and balance was very impressive. I agree with ASR about the top end being slightly rolled off but it actually was nice with the ES2's since they can be slightly sharp on the top if paired with the wrong amp/source. Vocals were very smooth and natural sounding.

I know I will have much more to say about it once I've gotten mine and spent some post burn-in time with it. I plan to burn it in for a good 200-300 hrs before really doing some critical listening and or comparing to the Hornet. As it stands right now I'd say I still prefer the Hornet to any sub $450 portable I've heard however, the AE-2 sounds so good and different from the Hornet that is is easily worth owning both... obviously
very_evil_smiley.gif

On a side note if the TTVJ Millet Hybrid can correct the background noise issue it may be top of the portable heap based on what I remember hearing at the meet... and IMO of course.

edit - my AE-2 testing was done with my iPod using a reference lossless playlist of varied genres and artists, ALO Jumbo Silver Cotton and Westone ES2's.

May 8, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #115 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...On a side note if the TTVJ Millet Hybrid can correct the background noise issue it may be top of the portable heap based on what I remember hearing at the meet... and IMO of course.....

Interesting, I have not heard any noise with the TTVJ Millet. Unless you mean the high pitch noise while plugging/umplugging. Thanks.

May 8, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #116 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, I have not heard any noise with the TTVJ Millet. Unless you mean the high pitch noise while plugging/umplugging. Thanks.

I'll assume Wakeride74 was listening to the TTVJ Millet with his ES2's. ES2's are easily the most sensitive IEM I've ever used. If an amp has even just a faint backround hiss, the ES2's will easily pick up on it.
I was considering the TTVJ Millet to use with my ES2's, but if there's detectable hiss with them I'll have to pass. Even the Larocco PR II had too much hiss with the ES2's.

May 8, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #117 of 142
It wasn't a hiss and I heard it with the GS1000 as well. It was like a airy or wind-like sound. Not really noticeable when music is playing but I'd imagine it would be somewhat detectable on slower songs or songs with more stops and breaks. Again this was the one Todd had at the meet and I have no idea if this was a bug that has since been worked out but I talked to a couple other people about it that heard it as well. Other than that the amp is one hell of a portable with the most energetic sound I've heard from something that small.

May 8, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #118 of 142
Maybe loud tube rush, which can be changed by getting different tubes. Was it both sides or one?

May 8, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #119 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe loud tube rush, which can be changed by getting different tubes. Was it both sides or one?

It was both

May 8, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #120 of 142
Last Friday I had the opportunity to compare the AE-2 to The Hornet with my portable rig. In terms of sound quality they were equal. Lots of detail, nice tight bass and not too bright highs. The Hornet seemed a lot "tenser" though. The AE-2 is very quiet with a black background while the Hornet is faster and less relaxed. Ultimately it's a stroll in the woods vs lying on the beach. Both are very pleasant. Just bear in mind that the Hornet was burned in for 30+ hours and the AE-2 was straight out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back