HeadAmp AE-2 impressions (w/ burn-in updates) (over)
Jun 15, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #136 of 142
Simple put where the impedance curve has peaks or valleys you will see peaks or valleys in the response curve from a headphone. If a headphone is stronger/peaky in the lower mid bass then this is a result of a peaky impedance curve in the same area; i.e. HD650s. If a headphone has a prominence in the high frequencies then is probably is a result of a peaky impedance curve in the high frequencies; i.e. ET-4ys.

Note that this in reference to amplifiers where one says that it is stronger in the lower mid bass when in actuality it measures flat. It it the interaction between the amp current capacity and the headphone impedance that results in the combination having an apparent not flat response. Therefore the AE-1 possibly not having the same current capacity of the AE-2 may seem to have less and more in some areas.

Asr's post: " In direct comparison to the AE-1, the AE-2's focal point is on the upper mids, whereas the AE-1's focal point is on the lower mids" from post number 7. Both amps would measure flat over the range of 20 to 20k Hz I would think.

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #137 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simple put where the impedance curve has peaks or valleys you will see peaks or valleys in the response curve from a headphone. If a headphone is stronger/peaky in the lower mid bass then this is a result of a peaky impedance curve in the same area; i.e. HD650s. If a headphone has a prominence in the high frequencies then is probably is a result of a peaky impedance curve in the high frequencies; i.e. ET-4ys.

Note that this in reference to amplifiers where one says that it is stronger in the lower mid bass when in actuality it measures flat. It it the interaction between the amp current capacity and the headphone impedance that results in the combination having an apparent not flat response. Therefore the AE-1 possibly not having the same current capacity of the AE-2 may seem to have less and more in some areas.

Asr's post: " In direct comparison to the AE-1, the AE-2's focal point is on the upper mids, whereas the AE-1's focal point is on the lower mids" from post number 7. Both amps would measure flat over the range of 20 to 20k Hz I would think.

It must be late or something, but I am honestly completely clueless on what you are trying to convey in reference to AE-2.
confused.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #138 of 142
slwiser, I'm not familiar with the technicalities of amps and what happens with them and different headphones. It may be true the AE-1 and AE-2 respond differently to the AD2000, K701, et al, but if they do, it doesn't matter to me, and I certainly don't think about it either - all I go off is what I hear, not measurements.
wink.gif

Not that I mean to counter your argument, I'm just saying what my ears have heard. And they may well both measure flat between 20 Hz and 20 kHz. But they certainly don't sound the same when I keep all other components constant - there's a definite difference regardless of which headphone I've used. As for why, I don't know - I'm not interested in finding out why either.
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #139 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It must be late or something, but I am honestly completely clueless on what you are trying to convey in reference to AE-2.
confused.gif

That with a headphone that has an relative level normalized impedance curve the two would sound very similar instead of one being more prominent at different frequencies. The example given for the HD650 suggests that with an amp with limited current capabilities is that there would be a different roll-off in the highs while with an amp with significant current reserves this would not be apparent.

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #140 of 142
Jun 15, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #141 of 142
A well designed solid-state amplifier should not be influenced enough by headphone impedance to contribute to response variations that do not already exist in the headphone itself. Due to their inherent properties, however, many tube amps will contribute their own response aberrations for headphones of certain impedances.

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #142 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A well designed solid-state amplifier should not be influenced enough by headphone impedance to contribute to response variations that do not already exist in the headphone itself. Due to their inherent properties, however, many tube amps will contribute their own response aberrations for headphones of certain impedances.

If 2 or 3 dB can be a problem on the flatness of an amp curve what does the interaction between the large changes in impedance do to the resulting output of a headphone. An amp puts out an average voltage during any particular instance. I believe that a headphone that has large swings in its impedance will result in being harder to drive and be more sensitive to needing better components to push it; i.e., HD650. Especially in the frequency ranges that make up a large portion of the music and this is exactly where the HD650 has a large peak in its impedance relative to the rest of its profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back