Headamp... 3months of waiting
Feb 15, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #121 of 152
It seems to me that a lot of folks are arguing that estimated delivery times ought to be ignored, given that the maker of the amp is sufficiently skilled in his craft. I don't agree. I have dealt with SEVERAL audio manufacturers who make a point of responding quickly and who give reasonable expected delivery windows. I don't think that those who feel like this ought to be waived for some folks whom they happen to favor are taking a reasonable position.

Having said that, it seems to me that Justin has taken some reasonable steps to mitigate the problem created by his inability to meet his estimated delivery time. He has apparently refunded the deposits of some folks who didn't feel like they wanted to wait any longer. This seems like a pretty reasonable thing to do IMHO...I've dealt with some folks who took the position that once your deposit is made, you're in it for the long haul. That is not IMHO a reasonable way to do business, and I think Justin deserves some credit for opting not to do business that way.

It seems like much of the grief in this thread centers around what some would claim is a PATTERN of not meeting delivery. I make no assertion one way or the other WRT whether this is or is not the case. I simply state one of the golden rules of customer service:

Under-promise and over-deliver

My last comment is saved for certain folks who it seems have come here simply to fight. I'm not interested in having this or any thread become a battleground for competing factions of fanboys to bitch and spin conspiracy theories. We've seen this kind of thing with EVERY manufacturer on this board, and it's just as distasteful here as anywhere else. It seems to me that the folks who have a legitimate concern ought to be able to post about that in a calm and cool-headed way, without being attacked. It seems to me that a lot of trouble starts in threads like this when folks who appear to have an axe to grind for whatever reason make a point of turning things personal. Most of the time, these folks on either side of the argument don't even have skin in the game with regard to the original post!!

My advice to all of you is to play nicely or go away. Maybe there is a place where you can behave that way without penalty, but this is not it.

In closing, please keep the thread on topic. Thanks...

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #122 of 152
Well said, Tom. The thread was deteriorating quickly.

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #124 of 152
I just wanted to add a few comments regarding my recent experience with headamp. I thought it might be best to attach a copy of an email I just sent to Justin. It pretty much speaks for itself:

Hi Justin,

Just wanted to let you know I received the Pico yesterday, Feb 16, 3 days after you shipped it, amazing. What's also amazing was the actual real-life size of the Pico. My God! The pic with the quarter does nothing to prepare one for the incredibly tiny form factor. I was, and am still amazed. You have done an excellent job with design and production. The packaging was also top notch. Listening impressions were also mind boggling. The Pico had no problems no matter what headphone I threw at it. Senn HD650, Sony MDR-CD3000, Sony MDR-R10 or Etymotic ER6i were all non issues which is amazing because other amps I own tend to be synergistic with certain cans but not all. As a matter of fact, the CD3000s sound the best they ever did with the Pico. As for the DAC, connecting it to my Sony Vaio VGN-TX670P (WinXP Pro, v2002, SP2), could not have been easier. The DAC was recognized and auto configured immediately. Also the audio output automatically defaulted to the DAC upon connection with no need to open Control Panel to tweak anything. Upon disconnecting the DAC, the ouput reverted to the internal sound card, again with no user interaction whatsoever. How cool is that? Thanks for the incredibly fast and smooth order. I sent payment on Feb 2, and received the Pico on Feb 16, unreal.:.

Many thanks, best wishes & Aloha,

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #125 of 152
Just to let you all know (who are waiting for a GS-1), I got an email from Justin today. He said that my GS-1 would be shipped in 2-3 weeks. I guess he got the enclosures in finally!

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #126 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd personally rather he keep making the amps he makes with the attention to detail he uses and does it in whatever time it takes, than have him take on the business model of others suggested. High inventory and high volume shops compromise in other areas.

Is this a hard and fast rule with you ?
confused.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #127 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, what is your beef lately? You deserve a new custom title like Dr. Doom or Captain Negativity. Why don't you just get back to slamming Headroom for showing prototypes at the last National Meet and how that was FUD marketing tactics...
rolleyes.gif
Oh wait, most of those products are now available, I guess you lost that to bitch about so Justin is your new fun topic.

Justin is a small manufacturer trying to grow. Is he experiencing some problems along the way, you bet. But geez, give the guy some time to adapt and over come. He's created a design for his amps and is therefore married to a case manufacturer for the time being. ONE MANUFACTURER. Maybe that was a bad choice on his part, but it's not one he can just up and change unless he wants to fold up shop. And if you've ever compared the quality of his chassis to a lot of other, not so slammed manufacturers around here, you'd think like I do that he holds himself to a much higher standard.

I disagree,I would rename him Captain Honesty.Something that is very much needed around here,instead of more frothing at the mouth fanbois lying/lining up to take one for the 'team' and defend what in the end amounts to BS.

I appreciate his comments,just that more because he is a mod.

Mar 2, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #129 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Odd for a fanboy to call out other fanboys. Do you have a pico on order, own one or are you just trolling to support the predator?

We don't even have to guess to tell. This guy is trolling in all headamp related threads.

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #130 of 152
I feel the need to show my respect for Justin. Recently he contacted me regarding a reply that I posted where I commented about noise that I was experiencing with my Pico while using the DAC with an external amp. I'm not sure of the cause but it seems to be an issue with my laptop PS being used.

He cares very much about his customers and the quality of his products, this I know.

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #131 of 152
maybe if each manufacturer, like justin, could somewhat disclose their daily schedules and disclaimers on wait time, it'll make it easier for some of us to understand the wait. and when i mean schedule, i mean something like the amount time spent each week on building amps, amount of time dedicated to other things like a full time job or school or family, etc.... nothing specific of course, but minor things like that would go a long way.

i can understand why, as a business, you try to make estimated delivery as short as possible without disclosing anything negative to impact the sale. but i think an honest person's business will always go further than someone who's dishonest.

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #132 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree,I would rename him Captain Honesty.Something that is very much needed around here,instead of more frothing at the mouth fanbois lying/lining up to take one for the 'team' and defend what in the end amounts to BS.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha, I'm sorry, all I can do is laugh...
kittyROFL.jpg

Quote:

I appreciate his comments,just that more because he is a mod.

I'm pretty sure that if you asked he'd tell you that in no way was he acting as a moderator when he made those comments.

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #133 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe if each manufacturer, like justin, could somewhat disclose their daily schedules and disclaimers on wait time, it'll make it easier for some of us to understand the wait. and when i mean schedule, i mean something like the amount time spent each week on building amps, amount of time dedicated to other things like a full time job or school or family, etc.... nothing specific of course, but minor things like that would go a long way.

i can understand why, as a business, you try to make estimated delivery as short as possible without disclosing anything negative to impact the sale. but i think an honest person's business will always go further than someone who's dishonest.

Now you want him to summarize his week instead of letting him build amps. Seems to me all the complainers make the entire process take longer and then they want to complain even more. Didn't everyone who wanted a Pico add their name to a waiting list? If your complaint is about another product then surely you know how the Pico is effecting his work load, right?

Patience will be rewarded.

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #135 of 152
Nope, but I did notice that the price of the GS-1 went up by $100. Good thing that I ordered mine when I did (in early December)!

However, I did hear from Justin, on March 1, that he almost had the enclosures finished which is what I he was waiting on and that my GS-1 would ship in 2-3 weeks. Maybe the same is true for the GS-Xs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone hear about the status of the backlogged GS-X lately? I'd rather ask the group then pester Justin with yet another email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back