Head-Fi Pop Quiz: IC Match this system.
Apr 14, 2004 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Chinchy

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all, given my tax return, I'm in the process of upgrading my system, and I'm hoping y'all can help me get some proper IC's into my system to get the best synergy. Here's my current/upcoming setup.

Source:
Sony SCD-333ES,
-> Modwright level 1 Mod, clock upgrade, bybee filters
-> Power Cable: VD Power 3 Cryoed

IC:
Grado Signature IC

Amp:
Melos SHA-1
-> Mezzobated by Carlo, including either an Alps Black Beauty or dACT CT-2 stepped attenuator
-> Power Cable: Tortie's group buy Quail PC
-> Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8

Headphone:
Joe Grado HP-2 with Ultra wide bandwidth cable
Grado SR-225
Occasional rotations with Ety ER-4P

I can also switch the power cable between my amp and source, unless I decide to spring for another one. Also contemplating getting a power conditioner of some sort.

I favor: Detail and good bass.
I listen to: Pop/Rock, some electronica. Not really any jazz/classical (hence the choice of Grados).
Current leanings: VD cables, Grover cables

Price range: Hopefully in the $150-300 range.

Make me proud Head-Fi. I want to cry when I hear the music.

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 14
Hey Chinchy shoot me a PM if you wanna try out some Acoustic Zen Matrix References. I have both 1 meter and 1/2 meter lengths sitting around. They're in about the middle of your price range, 250 for the Version 1s although I understand the Version 2s are much better, I just haven't tried them...

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 14
What do you hope to improve upon from the JG Sig's?

Non-IC related:

1. Get the dACT stepped attenuator.
2. Consider another VD power cord for the Melos.

No matter what you decide, it will be a rockin' system!

Apr 14, 2004 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 14
Awesome info guys! Just what I was looking for.

jpelg: What kind of improvements can I expect in the dACT over the Alps? As Carlo can attest to, I was debating for a long time which stepped attenuator to get.. It's looking like it's probably going to be the dACT, but I don't want to just spend more money if it's not going to be a noticeable (at least to me) difference.

Also, any other suggestions for specific VD power cord?

Apr 14, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 14
Well, a quick update. I just hooked up my VD Power 3's to my source today, and it's sounding pretty good. Noticing some details that are brought more to the forefront which I didn't notice before, bass seems to be a bit deeper and not sure if it's what I'm hearing or not, but the noise floor has dropped a tiny bit. Rather than saying the blacks are blacker, I'll say that the nothingness seems more apparent. It could be all psychological though, since I'm listening straight out of the headphone jack, which I haven't really done. But anyways, this power cable is heavy, man! How do people normally reduce the strain on the IEC receptacle, because on my 333ES it's already a bit jiggly loose... Hahaha, right now I threaded some string around it and have it kinda tethered to my wall to reduce the strain.

Back to topic though, this is what I'm looking for in my IC upgrade. To notice things that weren't there before, to make the sound richer (which the tubeyness of the Melos will accomplish), to give the bass impact, etc. I would like the same feeling of when I went from the Signal Cable Analog 2's and Zu Oxyfuels to the Grado Sigs. A feeling of things opening up, becoming more lively and vibrant.

I'm listening to "A Voice Within" off Christina Aguilera's Stripped album, and it's extremely moving. But I'm still not at the crying stage yet..
biggrin.gif

Iron_Dreamer: thanks for the info on the XRS. I've seen a little info on it, and I'll check it out.

Apr 14, 2004 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
What do you hope to improve upon from the JG Sig's?

Non-IC related:

1. Get the dACT stepped attenuator.
2. Consider another VD power cord for the Melos.

No matter what you decide, it will be a rockin' system!

Larry at Larocco Audio is currently fitting a DACT stereo stepped attenuator to my PPA (see sig.) The cost was $230 with parts and labour.

Apr 14, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 14
The Grover SR should be a good interconnect for the system. I've been using it with my carlo-modded SHA-1 with excellent results. I've had excellent results with the VD Power 3 (and also their top of the line PC's), and can suggest the K-Works Empowered Cable as an excellent (and flexible) alternative to the Power 3.

Do not ignore the tubes. The Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 is a decent tube, but there are much better ones, and not always expensive. See if you can find some JAN Sylvania 6922's on eBay. They used to be a bulk seller pricing them about $6.49 ea, and they are a nice little tube. Amperex white label (earlier production) tends to be better than the later production (orange globe). I've locked in on Telefunken's, though. Be ready to pay if you find real ones
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 14
re:

1. dACT - Truth be told, while I've heard different amps both with & without the dACT installed, I've never done a controlled A/B. Also, my Melos was sent directly to carlo for Maestrobation upon purchase so I never heard it with the stock photo-pot. But the photo-pot has been known to incur problems over time, and the cost of shipping round-trip is almost what carlo charges to install the dACT at the same time he does the other mods (obviously less than LaRocco). Given that I was going thru all this trouble to mod my SHA-Gold Ref, rather than always wonder, I just had him do it. Soundwise I have no complaints, and it feels like a million bucks.

2. Power Cord - I use a VD Power 3 Cryo on my amp which is (or was) a great value, imo. I've never heard higher end VD's. Most noticable improvement was increased bass response. Made me a believer in PC's. Yeah, the VD is really thick and stiff. But the Melos IEC is solid, and I support the cable horizontally for a few inches along the back of the shelf before it drops down to the floor.

3. Tubes - I use Amperex CEP (US) 7308's. Sound is a nice combo of detail and tubey warmth. I've never heard the Orange Globe 6DJ8's, but I'd think that tube changes will yield the most obvious sound diff. I assume you've checked out the two Melos tuberolling threads?

Apr 14, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
re:

1. dACT - Truth be told, while I've heard different amps both with & without the dACT installed, I've never done a controlled A/B. Also, my Melos was sent directly to carlo for Maestrobation upon purchase so I never heard it with the stock photo-pot. But the photo-pot has been known to incur problems over time, and the cost of shipping round-trip is almost what carlo charges to install the dACT at the same time he does the other mods (obviously less than LaRocco). Given that I was going thru all this trouble to mod my SHA-Gold Ref, rather than always wonder, I just had him do it. Soundwise I have no complaints, and it feels like a million bucks.

Good to hear, jpelg. I'm in a similar boat regarding shipping and that's also why I had Larry do the whole lot directly. Fedex shipping from the US to Spain several times would soon add up to the price of the DACT...

Apr 14, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Fedex shipping from the US to Spain several times would soon add up to the price of the DACT.

Yeah, not to mention the potential of loss or damage with each shipment.

Apr 14, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Chinchy
I'm listening to "A Voice Within" off Christina Aguilera's Stripped album, and it's extremely moving. But I'm still not at the crying stage yet..
biggrin.gif

You need to come over some time and hear my HP-4, I've got a nice combo of Amperex and Sovteks in it that is just amazing...
biggrin.gif
You'll cry when I tell you it's time to go home!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 14
On a side note, this is post #500. Yay! Go me!

Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Do not ignore the tubes. The Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 is a decent tube, but there are much better ones, and not always expensive. See if you can find some JAN Sylvania 6922's on eBay.
I've locked in on Telefunken's, though. Be ready to pay if you find real ones
tongue.gif

Some other tubes I have are:
Mullard Special Quality E188CC
Philips Special Quality E188CC
JJ/Tesla E88CC
Amperex USNCEP 7308

All the other good tubes that I want are snapped up by gpalmer..
very_evil_smiley.gif

I haven't done much tube swapping as of yet because my Melos had a weird left channel hum issue, and I didn't want to risk damaging the tubes or my headphones. Which is also why I sent it off to be Mezzobated by Carlo. But once it gets back.... it's all over baby. People are gonna start referring to my SHA-1 as that "tramp of an amp" because of all the tubes she's gonna go through. Well, at least until the money runs out..

jpelg: thanks for that. Yeah, I'll probably go with the dACT. And yep, I've gone through the two Melos tube rolling threads. Sounds like my ultimate attainment will be the pinched waists.. Hm, I wonder who has those.. Yeah you know who you are...
very_evil_smiley.gif

gpalmer: Yeah yeah, stop tempting me. I'm afraid to go over there because I know it'll make me cry...
evil_smiley.gif
I'll be like Cuba Gooding Jr in Jerry Maguire at the end when he's on that TV Show..

Happy 500th post day!
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Chinchy
Awesome info guys! Just what I was looking for.

jpelg: What kind of improvements can I expect in the dACT over the Alps? As Carlo can attest to, I was debating for a long time which stepped attenuator to get.. It's looking like it's probably going to be the dACT, but I don't want to just spend more money if it's not going to be a noticeable (at least to me) difference.

Also, any other suggestions for specific VD power cord?

It'd be more transparent than the Alps Black. Although, you may have a slight issue if you have a comfortable listening level smack between 2 steps. In which case, I'd recommend a Noble pot over the Alps Black. IMO, it's more transparent sounding than the Black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back