Head-Fi mentioned in New York Times article about headphones!
Feb 9, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #76 of 149
First of all, congratulations Head-Fi! More public awareness of high-fidelity headphones, and headphone brands in particular, makes me smile on the inside. 
smile.gif

Quote:
Sennheiser, Etymotic, Klipsch and others are also mentioned, with specific mentions of the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Originals (adidas), which is one of my favorite portable over-ears, and the Sony MDR-V6, which is the headphone that got me started down the path of better headphones many years ago.

Secondly, I don't think they mentioned the HD25-i-ii's in the article Jude.

One of the top new sellers in this market, he said, is the Sennheiser Adidas headphones — the result of a partnership between the German-based audio company and the sporting-goods company. With a price between $50 and $100 this “neckband” headphone has cables reinforced with the highly durable Kevlar, making them capable of withstanding sports like running and exercise as well as adventure sports. The headphones even have a reflective yellow and black striping for added nighttime visibility.         

I believe they were referring to these earphones:

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #77 of 149
I would rather the HiFi to be a niche for a few chosen people, rather then for it to sell out to the filfth magazines out there, just to attract a few guys i would hate share interest with anyway.

I would say that HiFi was a fad that died out. People just dont care _enough_ to spend money on it. Most are happy with a free spotify account and the headphones that came with their iPod. Let the genuinely interested people have their interest, and let the simple eared people be content. I like it in this corner as it is, how about you?

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #79 of 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharfrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I, too was disappointed by the NYT article and found it a gross departure from other fine writings in it.  Perhaps you might want to post a comment in the editorial section about the fingerwagging the article's writer got from those in the know and it may lead to further exposure to the truly great gear out there.

Potentially, that's a constructive idea as long as commenters leave out the "finger-wagging."

Write a letter to the editor regarding Conlin's recommendations:  Where they fall short due to an understandable lack of familiarity with the subject (which she mentions in the opening) and what long-term denizens of Head-fi might recommend instead.  Be constructive and respectful while pimping this site.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #80 of 149

Quote:
First of all, congratulations Head-Fi! More public awareness of high-fidelity headphones, and headphone brands in particular, makes me smile on the inside. 
smile.gif

Secondly, I don't think they mentioned the HD25-i-ii's in the article Jude.

I believe they were referring to these earphones:

The HD25's were mentioned - they are the senn addidas:

[“In the last six months to a year, the exercise headphone market has grown enormously,” Mr. Cervera said. One of the top new sellers in this market, he said, is the Sennheiser Adidas headphones]

Quote:

haha :p
Bose, skullcandy & beats is what came up.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #81 of 149
The NYT was among the first credible newspapers to get rid of the -- in their view -- unnecessary expense of staff proofreaders.  The disillusioning evidence of that decision has been apparent ever since. 

The copyediting tends to be better than this particular article suggests, but then again, so does the writing.  We should look up Jennifer Conlin to determine whether she's ever written anything decent.  Apparently, her magnum opus is The Perfect Parents Handbook
ir

(note the absence of a possessive in the title -- that's intentional).

On the nether hind, the NYT also publishes articles regularly by people like E. L. Doctorow, who's hardly one of my favorites but at least knows how to offset appositives and punctuate correctly.

I don't know much about the workings of the NYT., but i take it this article was only for their website, right? They surely couldn't have printed this on their newspaper.

If it's limited to the web, how many readings do you think it would have got? I’m asking purely out of interest really!

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #82 of 149
That's not specific to the HD 25...As I said before...There are other ADIDAS Senn headphones.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/adidas-originals-headphones

Quote:
The HD25's were mentioned - they are the senn addidas:

[“In the last six months to a year, the exercise headphone market has grown enormously,” Mr. Cervera said. One of the top new sellers in this market, he said, is the Sennheiser Adidas headphones]

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #83 of 149

Quote:
That's not specific to the HD 25...As I said before...There are other ADIDAS Senn headphones.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/adidas-originals-headphones

Apologies.
That said for me its between the 2:
220 and 25's

As earphones are something else (although many people say headphones instead of earphones)

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #84 of 149
A friend of mine, who has worked as an investigative reporter for several major newspapers for the last thirty years and has won a number of prestigious awards, said it best - the NY Times and similar papers are "news processors" rather than investigators: that is, given the economics of things, they are generally "fed" articles rather than developing their own stories.  The best articles typically will come from the smaller publishers. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #85 of 149

Quote:
Apologies.
That said for me its between the 2:
220 and 25's

As earphones are something else (although many people say headphones instead of earphones)

I think you guys missed my quote earlier:
One of the top new sellers in this market, he said, is the Sennheiser Adidas headphones — the result of a partnership between the German-based audio company and the sporting-goods company. With a price between $50 and $100 this “neckband” headphone has cables reinforced with the highly durable Kevlar, making them capable of withstanding sports like running and exercise as well as adventure sports. The headphones even have a reflective yellow and black striping for added nighttime visibility.  

Hence why I said they are probably these:

From HeadRoom's website itself:
Amongst the best-built, top-sounding 'neckband' headphones, the Sennheiser PMX 680 are co-branded with Adidas for sporting looks and max durability in tough wet conditions. Designed for running or exercise and perfect for the woods or beach, the bulletproof Kevlar construction easily withstands heavy-duty action. Built-in volume control and reflective yellow/black striping for added nightime visibility.

They couldn't have been referring to the HD25-i-ii's since those cost $200+.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #86 of 149
Good catch, miceblue, I'll edit my post that mentions the HD 25-1 II.

Quote:
I think you guys missed my quote earlier:

Hence why I said they are probably these:

From HeadRoom's website itself:

They couldn't have been referring to the HD25-i-ii's since those cost $200+.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #87 of 149
I've been lurking here for a couple of months now and decided to finally chime in on something that I don't really need to have a high level of audio expertise in.  My first post!  Yay!  I found the article to suit its audience quite well.  I believe this article is written for those, like the writer, who are new to the world of headphones.  I believe that this article has enough information to launch the odyssey of a great many new headphone listeners in search of better sound through education.  Maybe if I had read this article two months ago, I would have found Head-Fi earlier and make more sound decisions in my initial purchases.

My first introduction to headphones were in-ear Skull Candies.  Which I had no problem with.  They were a lot better than the ear buds that came packaged with the iPod.  They lasted for a good two years without any problems. This past Christmas, my wife purchased me the Beats Solos.  It was because I mentioned, at one of our shopping days at Best Buy, "Who the heck would pay $200 for headphones?"  She bought them because she thought with that price tag it should be terrific and wanted me to have a great set of headphones.  I love my wife.  After having them for a day, I thought I was missing something so I started researching... strictly the Beats line through bestbuy.com and amazon.com reviews.  I then decided to return the Solos and spend an extra $100 to get the Beats Studios, which I thought sounded worse than the Solos in some areas.  Maybe my ears are a little weird.  Guess what,  I returned the Studios and spent an extra $100 to get the Beats Pros.  I have to admit I really love those.  I am a bass-head at heart, but unlike the Solos and Studios, I could hear the mids and highs clearly.  Yes, I know I will probably get flamed for liking the Beats Pros, but it's true.  I did say my ears may be a little weird.

In any case, I believe that everyone needs to go through a learning period and try different headphones to find what they like.  At this moment in time, I have the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80, Sennheiser HD650, AKG Q701, V-Moda Crossfade LP2, V-Moda V80, and am thinking about picking up the Grado 325IS within a month or two to add more variety to the mix.  I run them through a Fiio E7 and E9 combo which is hooked up to my Mac. Most of my music is ripped from my CDs in lossless format and I have a few jazz albums I purchased from HD Tracks, which includes the Head-Fi sample mix and the other binaural album that Jude did a review on.  My main tastes in music lies in rap/hip hop, 70% of the time, but I also listen to R&B,classic rock, reggae, Hawaiian and jazz.  I am thoroughly enjoying all of my headphones and the differences in sound they have.  I guess I have to thank Head-Fi and the forum here for providing the plethora of knowledge and information on the different brands and sounds that are available.  My wife is not too happy about that just to let you know, but she takes a lot of the blame for buying me that first set of Beats Solos that set off my new addiction.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #88 of 149
This article is not only poorly written and researched, but did she really use Apple, a rich banker, and her son's friend as authorities on headphones? What a joke article. Sure Head-Fi was mentioned, but all this article does is reaffirm to the general public what Head-Fi is completely against. Why would Head-Fi support an article that advocates Beats, Bose, and the new Soul headphones when those brands are the exact reason we come here to get away from? So what if it means new members, it's going to mean a huge influx of "Are Beats good?" "Which Skullcandy to buy?" and "Are the Souls any good?" posts that no one wants to read as it is.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #89 of 149

Quote:
This article is not only poorly written and researched, but did she really use Apple, a rich banker, and her son's friend as authorities on headphones? What a joke article. Sure Head-Fi was mentioned, but all this article does is reaffirm to the general public what Head-Fi is completely against. Why would Head-Fi support an article that advocates Beats, Bose, and the new Soul headphones when those brands are the exact reason we come here to get away from? So what if it means new members, it's going to mean a huge influx of "Are Beats good?" "Which Skullcandy to buy?" and "Are the Souls any good?" posts that no one wants to read as it is.

True... But technically Head-Fi doesn't intentionally support other companies like Westone and Shure, just to name a few. Head-Fi isn't a real supporter in any company really, the companies just come to Head-Fi for Ads and Sponsorships. And with that said, Head-Fi isn't against Beats, Bose, and Soul. It's more of the users being against some companies like Beats; NOT Head-Fi itself. And new members are always good. So what if the new members ask questions like "Are the Souls any good?". Everyones been through that stage and I find myself asking the same questions about other products like AKG for example. There's no difference when someone asks a question like "Are Beats good?" or "Are AKGs good?". Both the same questions and I find it unfair that the Beats question is hated so much by some members in the community. If you don't like seeing it, don't bother looking at it because it's not going to make a difference either way. There will always be questions and always people willing to answer those questions. It's a free forum.

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #90 of 149
This article is not only poorly written and researched, but did she really use Apple [customer reviews], a rich banker, and her son's friend as authorities on headphones?

This one sentence I think expresses my frustrations with this article better than my previous whole-paragraph rant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back