Head-Fi mentioned in New York Times article about headphones!
Feb 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #46 of 149

Quote:
They won't know amps exist or are important until Dr.Dre or Ludacris or 50 Cent says they are, makes a flashy one that doesn't even stack up to the E7/E11 and sells it for 400 dollars.
And then the New York Times will write an article about all these raving audiophiles and their love for their creme de la creme Amps By Dre®.

True champion lol

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #48 of 149
The direct link to the headfi site was nice.

But apart from that the article sucked!  Is this really written for the new york times, or is it a fake mock up version- the grammar and punctuation is weird.

A good place where headfi can get exposure is from places where people who want to buy themselves a standard headphone go. Amazon reviews for example. Reviews on the apple site (these cx300 suck- go on headfi to see the multi iem comparison thread. All info is contained within!!)

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #49 of 149
But apart from that the article sucked!  Is this really written for the new york times, or is it a fake mock up version- the grammar and punctuation is weird.

Not to dwell on this but... Thank you, at least I'm not the only one wondering if the NYT writing quality (as well as research) is supposed to be this... poor.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #50 of 149

Quote:

Not to dwell on this but... Thank you, at least I'm not the only one wondering if the NYT writing quality (as well as research) is supposed to be this... poor.

I'm sure most of us had higher expectations, the praise for Bose, Beats and Skullcandy just added to the disappointment.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #52 of 149
Mention in NYT is awesome even if it's in a badly written and hardly researched article.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #54 of 149
I didn't think the article is that bad. Of course they're going to mention Bose, Skullcandy and Beats -- these are the headphones that *everyone* buys. The fact that they mentioned Audeze and head-fi at all suggest that the writer knows what's up in the real world of headphones. There's probably a word limit on articles, though, and focus had to be done on what the majority of the readership would relate to and understand. The world sees Bose and similar as the face of Hi-Fi headphones; so the fact that this article is aware of other, finer brands at all -- speaks volumes.  

Don't be so hard on this, this isn't that bad!

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #55 of 149
Stuff like this has come out in the past. It's even been on uk television 7pm prime time on a weekday- where people from the gadget show were auditioning headphones including the denon d7k. 'Great bass, but a crazy price. Yea they sound good'

I think sometimes when stuff like this comes out, were actually being mocked.

It's more like 'do you know people, there are a band of crazy people on earth (visit headfi) who would spend £2k on headphones. Woa'

Not like how it should be 'headfi is where the best headphones available are discovered and discussed FOR EACH AND EVERY PRICE RANGE. Do you know here you'll find some cheap and almost unknown headphones that'll bash the beats and bose ' Now that will bring the crowds in.

Disagree?
the ny times article says;
'There are Web forums, like www.Head-Fi.org, devoted solely to discussing high-end personal audio and headphones'

Re-read the part in bold. That is not at all what headfi is about. Anyone who reads this will get the wrong impression about this place.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #56 of 149

Quote:
Disagree?
the ny times article says;
'There are Web forums, like www.Head-Fi.org, devoted solely to discussing high-end personal audio and headphones'

Re-read the part in bold. That is not at all what headfi is about. Anyone who reads this will get the wrong impression about this place.

Very good point!

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #57 of 149
It's more of an article on consumer trends and ad-fueled fads, though it's nice to see that Head-Fi has gained some prominence as an authority on those weird things we wear on our ears.

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #58 of 149
I'm rather disappointed in this article... It is well written and it covers a fair amount of brands, but I find it doesn't go into too much depth about more "Higher" end products you see at Head-Fi and at other forums, stores, general public, etc... It really seemed like she didn't know what she was talking about and she only went very shallow on the specifications of Headphones. But on the other hand, congrats to Head-Fi for even making it to the NYT. I find this to be a rather large milestone in Head-Fi history.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #59 of 149
Well, I enjoyed the article.  Although, the examples were not true audiophile in quality, it did show that there is much more out there than the buds that comes with the mp3's of today.  Let's be happy with baby steps into our world.  It can't hurt and may be the link that will excite a newby into our world of audio.  Having wrote in a newspaper, I understand that sometimes the best you can hope for is that they spelled your name correctly.  This is far better than that criteria.  Thank you Jude for bringing this article to our attention. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back