Head-Fi mentioned in New York Times article about headphones!
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #106 of 149
Someone sent me a comment on Facebook asking me that since I'm involved in headphones that I must be a pretty prominent member of Head-Fi and then proceeded to ask me about the ATH-M50's which I then linked him to a review here vs the HFI-580's. Great place and always will be. :)

Don't worry not even the New York times could bolster Head-Fi's credibility more than it already is, this is pretty much the premiere headphoning forum with many members who spend a good deal of free time (and money) here.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #107 of 149
Not on topic, but what's the current lead time on a set of LCD 2 cables?

Quote:
Someone sent me a comment on Facebook asking me that since I'm involved in headphones that I must be a pretty prominent member of Head-Fi and then proceeded to ask me about the ATH-M50's which I then linked him to a review here vs the HFI-580's. Great place and always will be. :)

Don't worry not even the New York times could bolster Head-Fi's credibility more than it already is, this is pretty much the premiere headphoning forum with many members who spend a good deal of free time (and money) here.

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #108 of 149

Quote:
Dude, I don't think the beats hype has peaked at all...

http://www.freshnessmag.com/2011/11/02/beats-by-dr-dre-the-beats-store-nyc-opens-today/

If I was in NY I'd go into that store every week with the Pro900 or similar bass cannons and ask people if they'd like to try them. I'd be the most beneficial troll ever.

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #109 of 149
Just stand outside with a milk crate of bass cannon headphones and a soup box to stand on. XB1000, XB700, Pro 900, etc.

Quote:
If I was in NY I'd go into that store every week with the Pro900 or similar bass cannons and ask people if they'd like to try them. I'd be the most beneficial troll ever.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #110 of 149
Just stand outside with a milk crate of bass cannon headphones and a soup box to stand on. XB1000, XB700, Pro 900, ATH-PRO700MK2, etc.

Fix'd.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #111 of 149
Ignorance is bliss i guess. Most people have never even heard a full size headphone.  When given the opportunity, even the worst sound could seem like fun as it is a new experience.  Full size headphones offer a lot to the user.  Most of the companies like skullcandy and beats give people what they want.  not what they could have.  usually that is simply put, bass.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #113 of 149

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss i guess. Most people have never even heard a full size headphone.  When given the opportunity, even the worst sound could seem like fun as it is a new experience.  Full size headphones offer a lot to the user.  

Completely spot on.

beats/ bose/ skullcandy are many 100% improvements to the standard ipod white buds. And this is where the 'amazing sound quality' quotes originate from. They simply are amazing compared to the ipod buds.  

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #114 of 149
I don't know how many of you read the posts on Lifehacker.com, but I found this article and it has a shout-out to Head-Fi and a quote from Jude! 
smile.gif

If the link doesn't work:
http://lifehacker.com/5883665/how-to-be-an-audiophile-on-the-cheap

More public awareness of high-fidelity audio, and of Head-Fi of course. ;p

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #115 of 149
And in response to previous posts as well . . . 

So, I think the masses are particularly clueless and for most a name like Bose and $100 is a big deal. It's sort of like the idea that America is a democracy and our government works for the people. A brief jaunt into common-sense land would convince anyone otherwise, but no one is making the trip.  

As an example, a good friend of mine uses as his main audio component a $120 JVC receiver I gave him 12 years ago because I bought a better one for my bathroom. I have astounded him with Grado/Ultrasone/Senn headphones, amps, and top-notch IEMS, which he always seems to appreciate. But, alas, he will never, I'm convinced, buy anything other than what is on an endcap for $14. He and his wife also bought a 46" HD television only to change the aspect to a regular 1980s set--I tried, god knows, I tried. One day, he will announce triumphantly that he bought a pair of Bose somethings and I will be happy for him. They do sound better than what he has, better than what comes with an iPod, and better than anything else he will probably ever buy. For that matter, I think I would be happy with him if he bought Skullcandy, though it would kill me to do it myself.

We are elite in the sense that we are knowledgable and care enough to seek out what does sound better to us. Most people never will. Senns sound like crap to me, but I appreciate that a lot of people hear something great in those cans. It would be hard to explain how I love Ultrasone 900s, AKG 702s, and UE TripleFi 10s as my goto set, but it is. I've heard all kinds of inconsistent opinions about what other folks prefer, though. And I disagree wholeheartedly with a lot things I read hear, but it's nice to know what others think. 

Not sure what I'm trying to say other than a few people other than the people on this forum might take notice of an article like that, but I'll lay a crisp $1 that not too many will. Nothing wrong with that. Artists and producers, however, need to get there **** together and start producing music that sounds better. Am I right?   

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #117 of 149

Quote:
I don't know how many of you read the posts on Lifehacker.com, but I found this article and it has a shout-out to Head-Fi and a quote from Jude! 
smile.gif

If the link doesn't work:
http://lifehacker.com/5883665/how-to-be-an-audiophile-on-the-cheap

More public awareness of high-fidelity audio, and of Head-Fi of course. ;p

Oooh, nice article. That was more like what I would have liked to see from an NYT article. The depth of research and explanation, I mean, even if the how to guide can be excluded.

Quote:
And in response to previous posts as well . . . 

So, I think the masses are particularly clueless and for most a name like Bose and $100 is a big deal. It's sort of like the idea that America is a democracy and our government works for the people. A brief jaunt into common-sense land would convince anyone otherwise, but no one is making the trip.  

As an example, a good friend of mine uses as his main audio component a $120 JVC receiver I gave him 12 years ago because I bought a better one for my bathroom. I have astounded him with Grado/Ultrasone/Senn headphones, amps, and top-notch IEMS, which he always seems to appreciate. But, alas, he will never, I'm convinced, buy anything other than what is on an endcap for $14. He and his wife also bought a 46" HD television only to change the aspect to a regular 1980s set--I tried, god knows, I tried. One day, he will announce triumphantly that he bought a pair of Bose somethings and I will be happy for him. They do sound better than what he has, better than what comes with an iPod, and better than anything else he will probably ever buy. For that matter, I think I would be happy with him if he bought Skullcandy, though it would kill me to do it myself.

We are elite in the sense that we are knowledgable and care enough to seek out what does sound better to us. Most people never will. Senns sound like crap to me, but I appreciate that a lot of people hear something great in those cans. It would be hard to explain how I love Ultrasone 900s, AKG 702s, and UE TripleFi 10s as my goto set, but it is. I've heard all kinds of inconsistent opinions about what other folks prefer, though. And I disagree wholeheartedly with a lot things I read hear, but it's nice to know what others think. 

Not sure what I'm trying to say other than a few people other than the people on this forum might take notice of an article like that, but I'll lay a crisp $1 that not too many will. Nothing wrong with that. Artists and producers, however, need to get there **** together and start producing music that sounds better. Am I right?   

Basically, you're saying that most people don't care that much about how the receive their audio and visual, as long as they get it when they want it. Convenience over quality, I guess, and priorities take their place.

Head-fi would pay more attention to this, being the type that pays more attention to cans in general. I think this makes for a better lounge discussion than front page news, though our premier NYT fan can take as much pride in this mention as he can.
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #120 of 149
Sorry, but this audiophile loves my Bose AE2, because of COMFORT more than anything else.

And anyone who says they have no bass needs to come try mine. Put on Moves Like Jagger and you'll see, they have *plenty* of bass. Its *amazing* what burn-in can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back