Head-fi is slow?!
Apr 11, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #31 of 59
Aynjell: I did something to your account. Is it slow now?

Some of the code for Head-Fi loads from different sites -- the ads especially. I think if one of them is slow for any reason, some browsers end up rending the page very slowly.  Also, in about 2 hours after this post it will be the time that backups or something on on the servers are run (I assume that is what happening as I don't run the backend). At that time, the site does indeed become slow for a short while.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #32 of 59
Quote:
Aynjell: I did something to your account. Is it slow now?

Some of the code for Head-Fi loads from different sites -- the ads especially. I think if one of them is slow for any reason, some browsers end up rending the page very slowly.  Also, in about 2 hours after this post it will be the time that backups or something on on the servers are run (I assume that is what happening as I don't run the backend). At that time, the site does indeed become slow for a short while.

I guess you don't care if it gets better for me... :)  Just kidding...

So, I tracked the page loads in Google Chrome's speed tracer.  I noticed right away that the initial page load (i.e. the response from the initial HTTP GET request) takes a whopping 8 seconds.  After that, your flurry of ads load quickly and in parallel until you hit the v-moda ad, which stalls again.  The total page load is an incredible 18-20 seconds, consistently, starting with a consistent 8+ second delay on the initial request.

I guessed that the problem has nothing to do with ads loading... it's accessing profile information.  Dude, you have a back-end database problem.  I tested my theory by signing out and then reloading the Head-Fi site, which then loaded instantly, consistently.

Better wake up the database guy.

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #34 of 59
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/507196/chrome-update-breaks-head-fi

After testing this, I am thinking it's just a chrome issue. Sorry I was a whiny git.

Actaully nope, more testing shows it behaving the same in IE. I think it might be some kind of ISP -> head-fi issue or something. Not entirely sure, but this site really is slow. :frowning2:

No, this is not a Chrome issue.  Mac Safari performs in a similar manner and Chrome's speed tracer shows that the browser is waiting for head-fi.org to respond.

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #36 of 59
Krutsch: I know I can run some admin checks that can cause the site to run slow so I think you're right ultimately.  Still, it might be worth it if people try switching off avatars, signatures, social sharing tools, "stuff in signatures" and anything else to see if that speeds things up. Before the mobile version existed I used to do that when I knew I was only going to be on a 3G network. You could also try the mobile version (button at the very bottom of every page).

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #37 of 59
Krutsch, thanks for the information on what you're seeing.

Can you provide some sample URLs of where you are seeing the 8 second page loads? The tech team and I are trying to recreate long load times.  Since you have the net tab of your browser's dev tools open, could you also post a screenshot of that? It would also potentially be useful for us as we try to reproduce the issue.

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

Can you provide some sample URLs of where you are seeing the 8 second page loads? The tech team and I are trying to recreate long load times.  Since you have the net tab of your browser's dev tools open, could you also post a screenshot of that? It would also potentially be useful for us as we try to reproduce the issue.

Let me address this, later during the weekend... I am supposed to be working now, even though sometimes work means reading Head-Fi 
L3000.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Hey Guys.  I have been hitting the site, periodically, over the weekend and whatever was happening before seems to be cleared up.  I can move around the site, look at my list of subscriptions, go into a subscribed thread and read, et al., and everything is reasonably responsive.  There are still small delays, but very tolerable and nothing like the 8 second response delays I was seeing before.

Congratulations on whatever you found and fixed.

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #40 of 59
Head-fi is almost un-viewable for me on Safari for iPad and Mac. It would just freeze or not load for some reason. Chrome does not work either on iPad, but does work on the Mac. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #41 of 59
I'm having a lot of trouble with head-fi's site lately, and have already taken my new MBP back to Apple because I thought there was something wrong with it and I was disgusted, but they told me it was fine! I have no other trouble on any other sites that I visit at all! This is really getting rediculous, very time I visit the site my MBP freezes and I can'y even force quit!!!
WHAT'S GOING ON HERE???

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #42 of 59
Can I hazard a guess??- Head-Fi is one of the most popular audio web-sites in the World. And we are all grateful for its existence-BUT you can't want all of this without SOME sort of "payback" its only natural.This site is helped by adverts and various "tags" when you click on to change a page this is "waiting time" till they are all  "notified"
                   Even my new PC with a 3770K chip O/C to 4.5G isn't instantaneous .
                       I think this is a SMALL price to pay for this great web-site!

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #43 of 59
I agree with what you  are saying. I don't mind at all waiting a bit for a page to come up, I don't need instantaneous results, but my complaint was that once my mac freezes, there is nothing I can do, I cant even shut it down half the time ,never mind trying to force quit, and it just seems like lately its been happening more and more.

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #44 of 59
[Okay I get the  message]- Open up a process program see if  any processes are using large amounts of CPU time'
                                           if not could be a virus which might not show up [hiding itself]  If a virus scan doesnt show it up  try downloading another virus program.

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #45 of 59
The first time this happened, I took the MBP right back to Apple, and they did a scan on it and they said it was fine. I thought it was the MBP, and I was furious after spending that much on it, but it was fine. Anyway, the site seems to be running well today and this doesn't happen all of the time, but when it does its just frustrating, I'll live with it, because like you said, this is site is a world of info and good people, and its probably on of the things I look most forward to reading. Thanks for the advice and the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back