Head-Fi FAQ??
Nov 13, 2001 at 4:46 PM Post #16 of 25
concerning "New York stores" - maybe we should have a commercial area where members list audio shops of note in their respective cities. also if these audio shops were aware we did this that might incite them to advertise here....

Nov 13, 2001 at 5:28 PM Post #17 of 25
Perfect idea Gorgon!

George

Nov 13, 2001 at 5:28 PM Post #18 of 25
Yes, I agree that it can be annoying seeing the same questions over and over again... but, if someone did do a search, and found exactly what they wanted, never to return... the forums would eventually die a death through lack of discussion (imo)

although the same questions are asked over and over again... the replies are always different, and so are the discussions...

think about it this way... in your work / studies - don't you do the same thing over and over? - what is the difference?

Nov 14, 2001 at 9:25 PM Post #19 of 25
Well, lots of good points here. I also tried doing a search for New York but it failed miserably. I have succcessfully searched for other things in the past however (7506, minidisc etc) - so maybe New York wasn't a good example.

Duncun's comments were interesting in that even the most redundant thread/post will more often than not give rise to something new and previously unknown - even if it is miles and miles off-thread!
biggrin.gif

Oh, and I do like the idea of everyone contributing their fave local audio stores to audition/buy (thnx Gorgon). Perhaps listed by Country/City/Brands and models carried?

Nov 14, 2001 at 9:38 PM Post #20 of 25
The list would be far too long. Your best bet is to try to find any high-end audio stores in your area and call them to see if they carry any headphone products. Grado, Beyer, and Sennheiser are quite ubiquitous, and you'll often find the Creek OBH-11 headphone amp at high-end stores (as well as the Grado RA-1). Tweeter carries Sennheiser, and some other chain stores not normally associated with high-end audio may carry some decent headphones.

Nov 14, 2001 at 10:40 PM Post #22 of 25
Fair enough Dan - the list idea appealed to me as higher-end headphone equipment can be a bit hard to find in Australia. But like you said, the yellow pages and a few spare hours is probably the way to go
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2001 at 2:00 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by stymie miasma
Fair enough Dan - the list idea appealed to me as higher-end headphone equipment can be a bit hard to find in Australia. But like you said, the yellow pages and a few spare hours is probably the way to go
smily_headphones1.gif

********! The yellow pages doesn't tell me if the store is good or bad as far as real customers are concerned. This could be a real valuable info source. If I want to know how a pair of phones sounds should I read the company literature or the reviews on this site? IMO.

Nov 15, 2001 at 3:20 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

********! The yellow pages doesn't tell me if the store is good or bad as far as real customers are concerned.

eek.gif
This is also true - that didn't really cross my mind I have to admit. Once again - this is coming from an Australian perspective where it doesn't matter so much how customers are treated, so long as the store stocks the required items! For instance, only one place in Melbourne sells Grado - so if you don't like their customer relations, you have to turn to the internet
wink.gif
That said, I still rate customer relations highly and will avoid places with **** customer service unless, as I alluded to, I have no choice...

I also forgot to address your earlier comment morphsci - regarding travelling and shopping. Perusing a list of HeadFi-approved stores prior to travel would certainly save valuable time.

cool.gif

Nov 20, 2001 at 5:06 AM Post #25 of 25
What's the difference between V6 and 7506?
- This is how to use the search function...
Where can I get pads for my 7506?
What stores are good for people buying headphones?
- Supplementary - this is how to search the net...

On that note -- does anyone know how the "timestamping" works? Specifically, when I come here, how does it figure out when I was last here for the "Show New Posts" function? I think I'm using it wrong. (I.E., I don't "Show New Posts" every time I'm here, sometimes I go straight to the thread, e.g., if I received an email.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back