Head-Fi FAQ??
Nov 12, 2001 at 7:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

stymie miasma

500+ Head-Fier
Do you think it would be a good idea? It would be a great source of information that gets repeated ad nauseum on the main boards. Some FAQs that come immediately to mind would be:

Are Sony MDR 7506s and V6s the same?
Are Sony MDR V600s and V6s the same?
Where do I get Beyer pads for my V6s/7506s from?
Are Koss KSC 35s discontinued?

Main problem is, many people's postings (including my own!) would suffer sever deceleration
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2001 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 25
I've been thinking about this as well...I just wonder how many people will check it before posting.

Nov 12, 2001 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 25
nobody used the search function at Headwize before posting.

zipping through a FAQ is a lot less timeconsuming tho, provided you keep it very short and to the point. could be usefull mainly for questions like the ones stymie posted. don't try and put full reviews int here..

I also think the featured reviews hould be put in a list with a link to it on the frontpage. and maybe put a link to the original thread in there as well as there are usually lots of usefull comments in those threads that aren't in the reviews themselve.

just brainstorming tho
cool.gif

Nov 12, 2001 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 25
It really does amaze me how many (though not all) new visitors fail to use the search function. Maybe until you get member status, any attempt to post should first display a message asking if you've used the search function.

A general FAQ is also a good idea. Let me propose an additional question, "Why can't I send PM or e-mail to anybody?", be added, because I seem to see one of those a few times a week.

Nov 12, 2001 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Maybe until you get member status, any attempt to post should first display a message asking if you've used the search function.

perhaps only do that with new threads? everyone will cllick on yes anyway ... I would
rolleyes.gif

Nov 12, 2001 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 25
Bah, if you clicked yes and still asked one of the constantly repeated questions w/o searching, I certainly wouldn't bother to respond. Sorry, but that sort of thing irks me...

Nov 12, 2001 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 25
I think this might be worth doing, teh FAQ should be just that, only for questions that are asked over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

Nov 13, 2001 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 25
Plus the search engine doesnt seem to be very good, i typed in "New York" and just came up with tons of posts on anything but "New York." SO, yes i definitely favor a FAQ database.

George

Nov 13, 2001 at 12:54 AM Post #10 of 25
Being a junior member, I think there's a learning curve.
hey guys, this forum is new for me.
Don't expect me to ask good questions.
Also, if all basic questions can be found on the FAQ section, then guys like me will have no chance to post.
And be honest, most of the time I find that FAQ is helpless, at least in my experience.

Nov 13, 2001 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 25
I think a FAQ would be great. The articles at headwize and audioasylum certainly helped me jump into the fray without making my self look like (too much) of an idiot.

Nov 13, 2001 at 3:29 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Plus the search engine doesnt seem to be very good, i typed in "New York" and just came up with tons of posts on anything but "New York." SO, yes i definitely favor a FAQ database.

George

I find the search usually finds me what I'm looking for. Try searching for "New York" and in the Search Options click on the "Show results as posts" radio button.

Nov 13, 2001 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

gloco said...

That's not too surprising, since the majority of threads here are not about New York, and the terms New and York can be found in lots of things. If you want miraculous results from a broad, vague search, then convince Google to help out Head-fi. Until then, just try being more specific.

Nov 13, 2001 at 6:02 AM Post #14 of 25
since an FAQ may start off being small and approachable we will no doubt come up with new things to add to it and it will eventually become huge. so make sure that if an FAQ is added make it searchable. also if the FAQ is searchable it should be smart, ie: a search on V6 will produce stuff about the Sony MDR-V6 headphone
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2001 at 6:35 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin

That's not too surprising, since the majority of threads here are not about New York, and the terms New and York can be found in lots of things. If you want miraculous results from a broad, vague search, then convince Google to help out Head-fi. Until then, just try being more specific.

I agree with you, it was way too broad, so i tried "New York Stores" and nada. I just gotta keep refining it, i'm sure theres posts about it in here and headwize as well. Cant imagine how much info is logged between both sites!
smily_headphones1.gif

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back