Head-Fi CES 2015 Highlights
Feb 16, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #121 of 137
Thank you,
Very interesting.
An idea of price range ?

just speculation. no official pricing announced yet. guesses range in the 1.5k to 2.5k to higher.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #123 of 137
Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sennheiser Pushes The Boundaries Of Wireless Audio

Last spring, I paid a visit to Sennheiser's headquarters in Wedemark (Germany), and was awestruck from the get-go. The entire Sennheiser compound is like a living shrine to audio engineering--old, new, and beyond new. There are fascinating odes to Sennheiser's history throughout; and, as if to remind you of their constant technological pushing, there are Audio Precision analyzers all over the place. As cool as those AP's are, Sennheiser's R&D facilities house far more interesting gear in addition, with a deep team of engineers who make extensive use of it all.

(Above) Axel Grell--the man behind the Sennheiser HD 800, and Sennheiser's Project Manager High End--gave us a tour of the new products at CES 2015.

One discipline (of many) that Sennheiser has a strong focus on is wireless audio. It's a Sennheiser core competency that goes back decades (all the way back to 1957). In 1996, Sennheiser won an Emmy for their advancement of RF (radio frequency) wireless technology. It sometimes seems the entire entertainment industry is wirelessly tied together by the ether tethers of Sennheiser's wireless products.

Back in 2010, I visited Jerry Harvey (of JH Audio fame) on the set of the Glee tour (for which he was the sound engineer), and Sennheiser wireless technology was all over the place. I took photos of the Sennheiser UHF active and passive antenna arrays...

...and these cool Sennheiser circularly polarized antennas...

...all of which were part of a wireless system serving 24 mic'd, singing, dancing stage performers putting on a sold-out show in a stadium filled with thousands of fans.

Even here at the office, when we decided to improve the audio on our Head-Fi TV videos, we bought Sennheiser professional wireless microphone systems (as well as other wired mics by Shure and Blue).

(Above) Sennheiser Presence Bluetooth earpiece. I literally spend
hours talking on the phone through this headset on most days.

All this pro audio wireless experience has paid dividends on Sennheiser's consumer audio side, too. Almost every single day, I use Sennheiser wireless technology for hours. I spend a lot of time on the telephone, and have tried many Bluetooth earpieces over the years. Last year, I bought the Sennheiser Presence, which is a Bluetooth 4.0 mobile earpiece that is far and away the best small form factor Bluetooth earpiece I've ever used. It is the only one I've tried that actually works in the wind (even pretty stiff winds won't ruffle it). The Presence's noise canceling for outgoing voice is so effective the people I talk to can't tell when I transition from a building to a moving car. Its range is also strong enough to allow me to move around my 1500 square-foot office without issue. After seeing Sennheiser's R&D facilities, it's no surprise to me that the Presence is such a standout.

In terms of wireless stereo headphones--whether on the go or in the home/office--Sennheiser also leads the pack, based on my experiences with a lot of wireless headphones. At CES 2015, Sennheiser was featuring a few new Bluetooth over-ear headphones, including a new Sennheiser MOMENTUM Wireless, available in both on-ear and around-the-ear versions.

I haven't heard the on-ear version, but I've been using the over-ear version for about a month. Put simply, the Sennheiser MOMENTUM Wireless Over-Ear is easily my new top choice in wireless Bluetooth headphones. Why? In a growing field of excellent Bluetooth headphones, the MOMENTUM Wireless combines all the features I've wanted that the other Bluetooth standouts miss. Here are some examples:

1. The Parrot Zik 2.0 has excellent sound (actively) and has active noise-canceling (which I find critical for these kinds of headphones for travel). However, the Zik 2.0 runs a bit small on larger heads (like mine), sounds atrocious in its passive mode, and, perhaps most critically, has dreadfully short battery life (around six hours in the mode I use it most in).
  2. The Sony MDR-1RBT was my go-to Bluetooth over-ear until now, with its excellent MDR-1 family sound (actively and passively), the best outgoing voice quality, outstanding battery life, and plush comfort. However, the MDR-1RBT lacks active noise-canceling--to get that with Sony means going to another more expensive model, and giving up wireless.
  3. The Philips Fidelio M1BT (now replaced with the M2BT, which we don't have here yet) sounds very good for Bluetooth, and has nice physical controls. However, the Fidelio M1BT has middling battery life of around ten hours. Also, though the M1BT is comfortable for a supra-aural (on-the-ear) headphone, it's not as comfortable as a circumaural (around-the-ear). Most critically (for me) it lacks active noise-canceling.
  4. The Beats Studio Wireless sounds better than most Head-Fi'ers would probably assume it does, but its sound quality is not at the level of the best in this group (to my ears). Its wired mode will increase battery life to up to 20 hours (versus a so-so 12'ish hours in wireless), but there it will not operate passively at all. Also, its active noise canceling is only so-so, and has high self-noise (hiss).
  5. The Pendulumic STANCE S1+ remains one of the best values in Bluetooth headphones. It sounds great, is comfortable, has intuitive controls, has excellent battery life, excellent sound, and an affordable price. Its styling and largish form factor is perhaps not going to be for everyone, though. Its outgoing voice quality is good, but not up to the standards of the much more expensive Sony and Sennheiser. The single biggest thing that keeps the Pendulumic from being an ideal on-the-go all-in-one headphone for me is a lack of active noise-canceling.

With the MOMENTUM Wireless, Sennheiser seems to have assessed all the gaps left by the competition, and filled them. It has what I feel to be the best build quality of all Bluetooth headphones I've tried, with its ample use of stitched high-grade leather and the wonderful brushed stainless steel carried over from the first MOMENTUM. The fit and finish is simply superb (as would be expected for its highest-in-class price). Also, though it's not immediately evident when you see it, the new MOMENTUMs have hidden hinges that allow the MOMENTUMs to fold without sacrificing the MOMENTUM aesthetic, making them much more compact for carrying.

The new over-ear MOMENTUMs (including this wireless one) also have substantially larger earcups than the first-gen over-ear model. While most seemed to find the first-gen MOMENTUM Over-Ear models comfortable, I think all will agree the larger cups and larger super-plush earpads only make this latest generation substantially more comfortable.

In terms of battery life, the MOMENTUM Wireless is outstanding. Its battery is rated to provide a very generous 22 hours of use in wireless mode, which puts it in the upper range of headphones of this type, and enough that I've not yet run it down completely in normal use. For me, long battery life is critically important, especially for a headphone to be suited for travel, and this headphone exceeds my expectations. It also charges rather quickly, taking only three hours to top off.

The MOMENTUM Wireless' outgoing voice quality is excellent, too, which is important for someone who's on the phone a lot (which I am). In direct comparisons, I've found it's a step behind Sony's MDR-1RBT in this regard, but not by much. Like the Sony, it doesn't do much (if anything) to actively cancel noise on outgoing voice, but the clarity of its dual-omni beamforming mic array is very good. Perhaps I'm nitpicking, but as good as its outgoing voice quality is, knowing what Sennheiser is capable of with noise-canceling on outgoing voice as evidenced by their Presence earpiece, I do wish they'd done the same with the MOMENTUM Wireless.

The MOMENTUM Wireless also has active noise canceling, using something Sennheiser calls hybrid active NoiseGard. What I find very nice about this headphone's noise canceling circuit is that it is effective at blunting travel noise, yet isn't invasive. (This is no doubt helped by the MOMENTUM Wireless' very good passive noise attenuation.) No, it isn't the crazy noise barrier that is the Bose QC25's circuit, but it does enough to be an effective travel headphone, and its the substantially better sounding headphone for music (and it's wireless). Compared to the Beats, the MOMENTUM's noise canceling circuit is more effective, but with substantially lower self-noise. Also, compared to most noise cancelers, the MOMENTUM Wireless seems less likely to bother those sensitive to the feeling of pressure that some noise canceling circuits present.

In addition to canceling noise, the MOMENTUM Wireless' version of Sennheiser's NoiseGard also has a sound sculpting effect that I actually like a lot. The bass seems to tighten up nicely when it's on, and the sense of enhanced clarity it imparts overall is very nicely executed. I also prefer the MOMENTUM Wireless' imaging with the circuit on--it's more spacious and airy, and I imagine that's owing to careful application of DSP. I suspect a lot of subjective listening tests and engineering at Sennheiser's HQ were generously employed in crafting this headphone'ss performance when the active circuit is employed. Simply put, I think most who compare the two modes will prefer the MOMENTUM when it's turned on.

On balance, the Sennheiser MOMENTUM Wireless is simply the best headphone of its type that I have yet used. It provides the freedom of wireless and long battery life. It allows me to take and make phone calls. It provides very good active noise-cancellation. It is comfortable. It is relatively compact. It is a gorgeous headphone, with build quality to match. And, most importantly, for my tastes, it is the best sounding headphone of its type that I've heard.

All of this excellence comes at a steep price, though, with the Sennheiser MOMENTUM Wireless Over-Ear priced at $499.95. This (along with the similarly priced Bang & Olufsen H8 that I haven't yet heard) is among the most expensive in this class of headphones.

NOTE: Sennheiser also introduced an on-ear MOMENTUM Wireless ($399.95), and an over-ear Urbanite XL Wireless model ($299.95) with touch controls, but I haven't had a chance to try those yet. New wired MOMENTUM models were also shown at CES, including new on-ear models, and the new, larger Over-Ear MOMENTUM, which has the same size earups and earpads as the MOMENTUM Wireless. Again, I haven't a chance to hear these yet either, but will make sure to do so before the next Gift Guide update.

(Above) The now-discontinued Sennheiser RS 220.

When it comes to wireless headphones at home, Sennheiser, a few years back, introduced the Sennheiser RS 220, which was, by a wide margin, the best sounding wireless headphone of any type that I'd ever heard. Its sound reminds me of the venerable Sennheiser HD6XX family, only with the freedom of wireless. Unfortunately, some RS 220 customers were experiencing signal drop-outs. Of course, RF traffic is going to vary from place to place, and I've not suffered such problems with my RS 220 either at home or at work (and still use it at home a lot), but Sennheiser still saw fit to substantially improve the RF performance of its latest generation of home wireless headphones, introduced at this year's CES.

(Left to right) Sennheiser RS 165, RS 175, RS 185, and RS 195

Sennheiser introduced four new Sennheiser home wireless headphone models: RS 165, RS 175, RS 185, and RS 195. All of the new models incorporate a new Sennheiser proprietary wireless link technology that has low latency and improved range (with a claimed maximum range of 100 meters, or 328 feet). Sennheiser Product Manager Oliver Berg assured me that these latest wireless headphones should have much improved resistance to signal drop-outs, even in high RF traffic areas.

The Sennheiser RS 165 ($219.95) is the entry level model, and is a closed, circumaural (around-the-ear) design. The Sennheiser RS 175 ($279.95) is a closed, circumaural design, and incorporates two virtual surround modes. I did not have
much opportunity to hear these two models.

The Sennheiser RS 195 ($449.95) is also a closed, circumaural design, but this system was designed to provide enhanced clarity for those with hearing impairment. The RS195 has several selectable hearing boost presets and a noise suppression mode, all intended to help make dialog (for television and movie watching) clearer and to provide superior speech intelligibility. There's also a music listening mode with the RS195, also to be assistive in nature, with increased dynamic range. In talking to Oliver Berg (pictured at right) about the RS 195, it was clear a lot of care and thought went into this product, to provide those who might need adaptable enhancements for a variety of specific assistive hearing needs.

The new home wireless model most Head-Fi'ers would be most interested in, though, is the Sennheiser RS 185 ($399.95). While not necessarily intended as a direct replacement for the now-discontinued RS 220, in my estimation that's essentially what it is. And, like the RS 220, the RS 185 is an open, circumaural design, and, like the RS220 was, the RS185 was designed specifically for enthusiasts of premium audio.

Like its forebear, the Sennheiser RS185 system is capable of detail retrieval that approaches very good wired headphones. Of course, it can't match up to the best wired headphone systems I've heard (and neither could the RS220), but there's no doubt I prefer it to many of my good wired headphones.

The RS185, in terms of background noise, is essentially dead quiet, which sets up a nice dark backdrop from which to show off its impressive ability to resolve fine, gossamer details. Though it has an analog input from which one can choose automatic level control or manual level control, I use (as I do with the RS220) the optical digital input, feeding it from the optical output of a Fostex HP-A4 or Fostex HP-A8C. (From its optical input, the level is fixed, with volume only controlled by the headphone controls.)

In terms of wireless range, the RS 185 does outdo the RS220, with both being easily able to cover my home's modest square footage, but the RS185 ultimately giving me more range in a simple keep-walking-until-the-signal-drops test. As I still do with the RS220, I marvel at my ability to enjoy wired-type fidelity with the RS185--fifty feet from my rig.

I've been using the Sennheiser RS 185 at home for a couple of months. In terms of overall performance, the young newcomer comes awful close to the esteemed RS 220, to my ears, and that's saying a lot, given the RS220's outlandish performance for a wireless headphone, and the fact that it was sold for $200 more than RS 185's asking price ($599.95 versus $399.95).  In doing direct comparisons between the RS220 and the RS185, the RS 185 could be described as having a more exciting sound, a touch more thump down low, and a little more shimmer, a little more presence in the lower treble--and there are times I prefer it. Overall, though, for my tastes, the smoother, more even hand of the RS 220 probably has the edge. For me, the wily veteran also just edges out the RS 185 in terms of imaging, in terms both a sense of space, and a sense of precision.

Still, I haven't heard a wireless headphone of any type that's not named "RS 220" that competes with the RS185. Given that the RS220 has been put out to pasture, there's no current wireless headphone in production that I've heard that can compete with the RS 185. In my experience, in the premium wireless home headphone space, it's Sennheiser versus Sennheiser.

When it comes to wireless audio today, nobody is pushing the boundaries like Sennheiser.

(Below, clockwise from top-left) Sennheiser RS 185 front-left view; RS 185 front view; Sennheiser RS185 (on the left) versus the RS220.

Thanks for this report and impressions, Jude! Glad you like the Momentum Wireless and RS 185 (& RS 220 too!)

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 20, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #125 of 137
people can pretend to like the look of the he1000 as 'vintage' but i think it's clear that looks were not considered when designing this phone.  HiFiMan not exactly masters of style and whoever designs their enclosures could really use a boot imo.  i'm really not a fan of the new headband crap they are doing either.  I am a big fan of the hifiman sound and I have nothing but respect for dr. fang's skills but they could really get a clue when it comes to aesthetics.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #126 of 137
  people can pretend to like the look of the he1000 as 'vintage' but i think it's clear that looks were not considered when designing this phone.  HiFiMan not exactly masters of style and whoever designs their enclosures could really use a boot imo.  i'm really not a fan of the new headband crap they are doing either.  I am a big fan of the hifiman sound and I have nothing but respect for dr. fang's skills but they could really get a clue when it comes to aesthetics.

The HE-1000 is designed with one goal in mind - to sound best it can. And there just is no other way to design a transducer that should have large enough output in the bass region and freedom from resonances across the entire working, not just  "audible range" 20-20 kHz. It has got to be large and it has got to be an asymerical elipsoid shape. 

In English, there is an awkwardnes with "design". It can mean design of a vehicle ( like construction of the suspension, motorm etc, technical part ) anddesign of the looks or appearence of the same vehicle.  In our language, these two categories have separate names - and as a consequence "engineer" is responsible for the technical side and "designer" for the looks. 

HE-1000 is av VERY good example of form follow the function - there is not that much "looks designer" can possibly do, except for colours and maybe the shape/fit finish of the headband. From the practical point of view of actually using HE-1000 over long(er) periods of time I find the solution of perforating the leather headband great - as one is likely to wear them for longer periods and sweating under the headband IS a nuissance.

I have only seen HE-1000 on the screen of my PC - but those criticicizing the look/fit/finish should bear in mind these were preproduction units meant to introduce the wonderful new concept to the public while getting feedback from the listeners whether there still is something that can be improved upon  in sound prior to going large(er) scale of production. 

I find it personally picking on looks to be rather misplaced - EVEN if these were production models. What HiFiMan has achieved in a diaphragm thick below one micrometer carrying the coil on its surface is MUCH more difficult to do than stretching a plastic film across a frame like in electrostatics; and like it or not, people have eventually come to accept Jecklin Float, Stax Lambda series & 0ther not-so-pretty-ducklings .

There are - and will be - headphones much better "designed for looks". Because it is possible to recoup the cost of tooling etc trough large volume of sales of large quantity of headphones at reasonably low price sold. A design/construction like HE-1000 is all about the performance - and the resulting price can not be lowered by any appreciable amount through large volume sales - there simply are not enough customers for this calibre of performance and hence price. Therefore, such designs are stuck with large amount of human labour - and although attention to each individual unit is assured, a human precision does have its limitations - on large scale production, machines, if made precisely enough ( $$$$$$$$$$ ), offer greater precision and consistency. And impeccable looks.

I read a similar fit and finish complaint stating that he/she would never pay for the HE-1000 anything like the expected amount of money if fit and finish does not get improved. I tend to close the eyes and enjoy the performance - be it  musicians and/or equipment that does allow me to re-live the music that happened someplace else in the leisure of my home. For those whose priority is looks/fit/finish  - there is any number of HP out there that look better and cost less ...

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #130 of 137
So what's up with the HE1000?  Any new updates?

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #131 of 137

Physically, the HiFiMAN HE-1000 is an enormous headphone--thankfully, it's more of a lean, sinewy huge; not a Jecklin Float or Abyss AB-1266 blocky kind of huge. I have a pretty big noggin, yet the ginormous HE-1000 made even my head look tiny. Despite its size, the HE-1000 felt light on the head

Nice moustache, Jude
wink_face.gif

(and before anyone corrects me, yes, I know that's not actually Jude...)

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #132 of 137
Jude you mentioned that you were using the Sennheiser 185 for awhile, have you tried them out on movies? The model down, the RS 175, seems to be more geared towards movie listening (surround mode and bass boost). While the RS 185 seems to be geared more towards music. My use would mostly be movies, however I'm keen on the 185 just because they look more comfortable and have an open back design. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back