Head-Fi CES 2015 Highlights
Jan 28, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #106 of 137
  It looks like a game changer, although I'm guessing the technology will take a while to mainstream to the bulk of audiologists that many of us rely upon for impressions.  I suppose their first big push will be towards the hearing aid industry, which will entice more audiologists to make the investment (whatever that may be).  If the scanners are that easy to use, I guess some headphone stores will invest in them, but there really aren't that many brick and mortar stores available to most of us.  It will be interesting to see future developments!

Check out earscanning.com - looks like there is already a plan to use it with hearing aids

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #109 of 137
  Thanks for the thorough preview of the HE1000.

Personally I'm excited about your 2nd article, most likely about UnitedSciences and their full ear mobile 3D scanner. Their implementation seems to be very complicated and prone to problems, on the other hand LantosTechnologies is basically making an earmold while automatically scanning it in your ear. The later is a much simpler and robust solution however it's still nearly as invasive as normal ear molds.

Another thing to add, this will only have broadband success if audiologists can see an advantage over  the traditional method: regular silicon ear impression > sent to lab > 3D scan at lab
The quality requirements for hearing aid earmolds are much lower than for CIEMs.

If it pans out, what's not to like? Skipping the post office is a huge advantage. A pain I guess they have rightly noticed as of late.

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #111 of 137
Seriously cool - digital impressions. It would be fun to eventually be able to 3D print your own. If it removes the intrusive feeling of foams then cool but I can't help wonder if the physical mold wouldn't be more accurate still?

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #114 of 137
I don't know, but that picture tends to remind of when that guy in "Starship Troopers" had his brain sucked right out of his head !

(Having watched too many SFflicks makes me very wary of things that appear to be generating a "Blu Ray" of some type !; Never bendover to look at your Bluray player if a disc gets stuck... Get one of your kids to look, their brains aren't that big yet so the Ray may have to search harder to find it) (Just kidding; get one of the neighbor's kids to do it )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back