Head-Fi CD Gift Exchange: What'd Ya Get?
Dec 14, 2002 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
Since some have already started shipping their gift CDs to their "buddies," here is where you can post what, from who, and how'd ya like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 32
…for sending me “Garden of Dreams” by Ali Akbar Khan. I didn’t check my mailbox until just before midnight last night and although it was bedtime, my curiosity made me stay up and listen to the complete CD…twice in a row. I really like it.

The only previous exposure I’ve had to Indian music is from the singing/dancing movie soundtracks and a bit of Ravi Shankar (which I liked ) through the Beatles.

Calanctus mentioned in his enclosed note, “the CD was well recorded and had a jazzier flavour in parts” True on both counts.

The recording quality is excellent. Through my home stereo with eyes closed, it felt like I was in the room with the musicians. (haven’t listened to it through headphones yet).

The first track starts out with the expected sitar sound ( actually it’s not a sitar, it’s a “sarod”, an unfretted lute carved from a single block of wood covered with a goat skin, steel fingerboard, and 25 strings.) , but soon the introduction of instruments like guitar, violin, viola, bassoon, oboe and didgeridoo brings on the realization that this is some sort of melding of Eastern and Western music. It has an overall Indian-New Age feel to it, but at times hints of blues, Celtic folk, and even a little rock & roll come to the surface. A very pleasant and relaxing CD.

Turns out Ali Akbar Khan has won numerous awards in not only his native country Bangladesh, but also the United States…including 2 Grammy nominations. In 1967 the started the Ali Akbar College of Music in Northern California which at the time of this CD’s release ( 1993 ) he was still operating at the age of 72.
He began his career as a court musician in India.

Anyway, try to imagine Mark Knopfler, Peter Townsend, George Harrison and Ravi Shankar sitting on the floor acoustic jamming some new age instrumentals.

As the banner in Ali Akbar Khan's school proclaims “It is music of the universe”

Thanks again Calanctus!

Dec 18, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 32
JMT sent me a copy of Wynton Marsalis: The London Concert. In our emails I stated that I was looking for something I would not necessarily buy for myself. This is a perfect exchange as far as I am concerned.

Four pieces are perfomed by Marsalis in conjunction with The English Chamber Orchestra, Raymond Leppard conducting. There are trumpet concerto's by Haydn, L. Mozart, Fasch and Hummel. All of the pieces are great, as is the trumpet work of Wynton Marsalis. The recording (DDD) is also very good and uses Sony's 20-bit technology. The best part was the note JMT sent along explaining his choice. A very, nice personal touch that was very much appreciated.

I'm already in for next years exchange!

Thanks again to JMT and Moo for organizing the exchange.

Dec 20, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 32
As Morphsci mentioned, we agreed that we were going to choose the gift CDs based on what we thought the other would not purchase for themselves. Morphsci sent me a double CD set entitled "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. But the collection includes many other artists as well: Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris, Taj Mahal, Willie Nelson... to name just a few. I haven't listened to the entire collection, but what I have listened to I really like, a lot.

Thanks Morphsci, the selection was perfect. Have a great holiday.

Dec 21, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 32
Got a hell of a package from UPS today: Norah Jones Come Away With Me on CD and the 200g (!!!) Classic Records LP (!!!) , plus The VU and Nico on 180g (!!!). The LPs are glorious, Come Away With Me is rich and lush and both I and my VPI are very thankful to Rick for a great gift.

I really don't have anything else to say, I'm blown away by his generosity. Thanks man
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2002 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 32
Carlo, you must tell me about the Norah Jones lp...I just ordered one..hated the distortion on her cd.
Damn, I just sent out acidtripwows cd..hope it reaches him before Christmas
frown.gif

Carlos please PM me on what you thought.
md

Dec 21, 2002 at 10:52 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
Got a hell of a package from UPS today: Norah Jones Come Away With Me on CD and the 200g (!!!) Classic Records LP (!!!)

Glad you dig it, Carlo. That package with the CD and LP was called the comparison pack. The idea is to compare the two formats and I think I know what the outcome is...with that VPI...

I know I'm constantly amazed with my records as opposed to CD's (and hey, we have the same phono stage).

wink.gif

Dec 21, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 32
Huy_ha honored me with a 2 CD set of Arthur Rubinstein's Chopin Nocturnes. Huy and I discussed briefly doing a vinyl exchange, but I suggested we stay within the original agreement of CDs. This is an elegant package of the remastered 1965 recording of Rubenstein's third cycle of the nocturnes. It is an RCA Red Label edition remastered in 20-bit technology with a great informational essay. The 1965 recording sessions were in RCA Italiana facility in Rome and were miked perfectly for an intimate sound. Huy included a note (yes, his handwriting is way better than mine) relating how involving he found this music, and I can only agree. Whether on headphones or speakers, the listener is there with the master for one passionate, moving rendition after another. Almost two hours of music passes so very quickly! I am fond of the solo piano, and familiar with the Chopin nocturnes, but did not have this recording.

[Aside: In 1970, I visited the World War II Seige Memorial gardens and mass graves in Leningrad/St. Petersburg, a very moving and affecting tribute to the thousands who died during the 900 day seige of the city by the Germans. At that time, early July 1970, the formal park was planted with young deciduous trees which appeared to be 20 years old. Hidden in each of the trees were speakers playing Chopin nocturnes softly but clearly, setting the mood of loss and memorial. I can remember it to this day.]

Anyway, an elegant recording of essential piano music that I already treasure. Boy, did I ever get the best part of this deal! Thank you again Huy!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
Got a hell of a package from UPS today: Norah Jones Come Away With Me on CD and the 200g (!!!) Classic Records LP (!!!) , plus The VU and Nico on 180g (!!!). The LPs are glorious, Come Away With Me is rich and lush and both I and my VPI are very thankful to Rick for a great gift.

I really don't have anything else to say, I'm blown away by his generosity. Thanks man
smily_headphones1.gif

Norah Jones on vinyl. I can just imagine "the nearness of you." must sound awesome. I never realized what an old song this was. My latest favorite. I have since searched other versions from Mel Torme to Nancy Wilson.

Dec 23, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 32
received lextecs cd a couple of days ago but won't open until Christmas , just a thing a have about gifts.

Bob ,yours should arrive at any time , I really hope it is something you overlooked . Purchasing for you was rough due to anything I thought of was either out of print or special order and would not have shipped in time

cheers

Dec 24, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 32
Thanks Acidtripwow!
I got a Govt Mule cd that features different bass players on each track. There's also and 2nd enhanced cd with pics and stuff on the recording sessions.
Cool idea
smily_headphones1.gif
Sign me up for next year!
Have a nice holiday season all!
md

Dec 25, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 32
Jude was kind enough to send me a copy of "Largo" by jazz pianist Brad Mehldau. It's a fantastic cd of rock from a jazz perspective. Mehldau joined forces with Jon Brion (producer) to bring forth this interesting work. To quote the accompanying article that was sent with the piece:

"In this case the music suggested one of those rare partnerships between the sensibilities of Rock (Brion) and Jazz (Mehldau) that borrows worthy elements from both styles to fashion a hybrid that feels neither forced nor calculated but has a lot to offer on it's own terms."

I have to say my favorite track is the cover off the Radiohead song "Paranoid Android". The whole album is fantastic in terms of exploring the sanctum of a style (rock), giving it a familiar feel, while at the same time taking you on a relaxing trip to a new horizon.

It's absolutely first rate and thoroughly enjoyable (as I'm listening to it for the third time today.
biggrin.gif
)

Jude I can't thank you enough for being my CD partner, and for sending such a thoughtful collection. It's fantastic!

Dec 26, 2002 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 32
I don't know how Old Pa figures he got the better end of the deal as I'm eating the cookies he sent along with a rocking musical package. I had to have the package sent to my office, so I didn't get it until this morning, but the cookies are still soft.

John sent me: Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus, The Bill Evans Trio At The Village Vanguard, and (that's right, and) Thelonius Monk - Brilliant Corners. One Ziploc brand sandwich bag packed with Christmas cookies and a Christmas card.

I'm ecstatic. The Little Feat album is a double CD of live cuts (I'm rocking out in my office to Old Folks' Boogie right now). I've not heard this band for years and should never have let them slip by the wayside. Just switched gears to Bill Evans, which also goes well with cookies and morning coffee. Makes me almost feel like I'm in that red basement with low ceilings (though I wouldn't be drinking coffee, I suppose).

Truly, though, I'm touched. What a great gift of music and spirit. Thanks, John.

Dec 26, 2002 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 32
In all honesty (and before anybody gets any ideas), I should mention that the last two CDs Huy mentioned I sent him were opened and had been played (but were enjoyed so much that they had been replaced in my collection with 20-bit versions). I just figured a guy with Huy's tastes would enjoy them and I would rather send them to him than one-way them to the local used CD store for the pittance they usually come up with.
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #15 of 32
Man, carlo sent me Root Down Jimmy Smith live. I play keys for a living and Jimmy Smith (king of the Hammond B-3) has always been a monstrous influence on me.

Hey, carlo, how did you know Root Down was one of the few JS disc I don't own? Scary man....this stuff cooks...

Thanks a million carlo!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back