Head-Fi and how you can't escape!!
May 16, 2009 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

m_memmory

1000+ Head-Fier
Well ....

Seems the curse of this place really digs in well!!

Here's my story (or warning to anyone whose new!):

A few years back I stumbled upon this site. I'd always felt that I was someone who really enjoyed music and liked to hear it well - I wanted decent equipment to listen to it through but was happy to buy a (fairly) high quality product and just use that on its own. So, for example, I had a nice decent portable Sony CD player with the headphones that came with the player itself.

Then, a few years ago, I came upon this site. It seems interesting and have quite a few people who also like great music to listen to. So I hung around, signed up and started posting. At the time I had a iAdudio X5L with standard ear phones and quite liked it. Before too long however this wasn't good enough and before long I had purchased a pair of Shure E2c to go with it .... then a PA2V2 .... then a pair of Koss KC75s .... then a pair of Sennheiser HD555 ... then a Corda Aria, a pair of DT880s, a pair of ATH-900LTD & a pair of MS-1s. The curse of this place dug in deep (well, for the amount of cash I had)

Over time I changed jobs and had less time to spend just listening to music. The Aria sat there unused as did the headphones & I didn't seem to mind too much. The E2cs died and I didn't mind too much. The X5l was stolen & replaced by a iPod and I was happy with just basic headphones without an amp - I guess I was getting away.

Then tonight I was listening to a song on my iPod and realised that it was a really good song and I could listen to it better then just stock iPod. So then the Aria started back up with the A900ltds. Before too long I realised that 2 hours had gone back as I was listening to these FLAC files from the computer. Before I know it the browser is up and I'm back on head-fi and looking at new portable amps and headphones to really get as good music from the iPod.

To those who've been here a while - I guess this place never truly lets you go. To anyone whose new - RUN AWAY WHILE YOU STILL CAN .... your wallet will thank you!!

May 17, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 17
When I started....
Cowon D2(4gb+8gb card)+Mylarone x3i's
Now, my sig shows:iPod 5.5gen 30gb and Fuze(4gb+4gb), Mini3, NuForce NE-7M, DT770's...I haven't quite hit the level you have :p I think the next change for me will be either:
1) replace the Fuze with a D2...I miss it :/
2) get a USB DAC/amp(because I guess once college comes, my laptop will get a LOT more use).

May 17, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 17
I escaped by getting custom IEM's and having a good DAP. I don't really miss it anymore... hehe.

So it is possible to escape - by going to the top.
wink.gif

May 17, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 17
I know what you mean
frown.gif
. Even when I don't have funds for any purchases at all, I constantly browse Head-Fi checking out gear.

May 17, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 17
this sounds oh so familiar...because that's everyone's story here! sorry about your wallet!

May 17, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #12 of 17
nice story. i think we all can relate to it one way or another. i guess head-fi (or the appreciation of listening to quality music/sound) never really leaves us...it's deep inside us and is waiting to be reborn again.

May 17, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #13 of 17
You know Head-Fi's got its claws in you when you spend half your work day on the forums looking for a good deal for the next headphone you want, or amp as you note, or line out cable, or even different sleeves for your IEM's in order to eek out the last iota of sound. It's a curse, run away while you still can for sure....

May 17, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 17
I keep trying to press logout and it just doesnt work :|...
soon to buy an 880 or hd600, decision is pending on the available cash in a months time
even when I leave home i still feel logged in. I went to a careers expo today and saw an aviation exhibit and almost rofled at the old phillips set in the poster
frown.gif

May 17, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #15 of 17
Well, my story.

My Icemat (then before it was acquired by Steelseries) Siberia broke, and I was running a X-fi Xtremegamer at the time. I stumble onto Head-fi via Google and ask aobut the A-500's. After stretching my budget and reading up, I decided to buy the AD700's (which I still use!). I was content with my Creative MicroPhoto and CX300's before Head-fi!

Probably spent a good at least US$1500 in a year and a half now...thanks Head-fi.

My sound journey (as far as I can remember);

No-name headphones --> Altec Lansing 602i headset --> Icemat Siberia in-ears --> Icemat Siberia full-size --> Audio Technica AD700 --> Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 --> DT880 600 ohm.

Onboard --> X-fi Xtremegamer --> X-fi Prelude --> Asus Essence STX

No amp --> Headfive --> Little Dot MKV --> Rockhopper M^3

Portable: Creative MicroPhoto --> Cowon D2 --> Sansa Fuze

Earphones: CX300 --> Yuin PK3 --> Head-Direct RE2 --> Altec Lansing iM716 --> Denon C551 --> Denon C700 --> Nuforce NE-7M --> Apple In-Ear Headphone (ADDIEM)

Portable amp: None --> Fiio E3 --> Fiio E5

Most of that in the last year and a half.
Thanks Head-fi.

Also acquired some M-Audio DX4's.

I'm in little old NZ as well = shipping and exchange rate can be a killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back