Head-Fi 2011 Christmas Gift Exchange Whadjaget? Thread
Jan 1, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #61 of 78
Woops, never posted here! My partner was ardgedee. He sent me 2 very entertaining and unique albums.

The first one was The Verlaines, Juvenilia
(pic from wikimedia)

These guys are great. The sound is an almost pop-ish early 80's alternative, but the part that I love the most is the lyrics.

"Sitting up late
The ash in the grate
His pretty face goes prison pale
There's a shadow tapping on the window -
His old lover's come in from the wind and rain
And he dreams burning memories
The girl ain't at his door - he's just getting bored
Oh he can't refrain 'cos he's got it on the brain
Wants to see the bright lights, gonna do it again
Pyromaniac, ain't no turning back" - Pyromaniac

He also included a second cd, Danger Doom - The Mouse and the Mask

(Picture from sleevage.com)

Really entertaining, as any hiphop cd with appearences by the cast of adult swim would have to be. The music itself is good in and of itself though, so it's still good the 2nd 3rd etc. etc. time you listen to it, unlike a lot of novelty albums.

All in all, Ardgedee was a great exchange partner, who along with sending the albums fairly quickly and answering messages promptly, has a great heart sending a bonus cd, and most also has a GREAT taste in music, Thanks man!!!

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #63 of 78
Took me awhile to get this posted.............
My Christmas gift came from JW...2 new to me CD's:"Lookaftering" by Vashti Bunyan and "In My Own Time" by Karen Dalton.
The first CD and I hit it right off....very enjoyable.
The second CD is a bit different....Ever have a CD that you felt you were going to come to like a lot, but in the beginning you had to work at listening?  That's where I'm at with this one.  Very interesting....
Thanks JW!

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #64 of 78

These are the gifts from my partner.  very cool.  never even heard of spocks beard, and now I'm a fan.  some really amazing stuff.  and of course skynard rocks.  cool deluxe package includes two different mixes of the album.  interesting comparison.  Love this tradition.  Thanks bwarfel!!

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #65 of 78
^ Snow, that's a prog.rock classic, excellent choice!

If you like that, I'd try Beware of Darkness and Kindness of Strangers and/or the Neal Morse solo stuff

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #66 of 78

Quote:
^ Snow, that's a prog.rock classic, excellent choice!

If you like that, I'd try Beware of Darkness and Kindness of Strangers and/or the Neal Morse solo stuff

Yeah, I cant wait to check out some other cuts.  I'll look into stuff you mention!

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #67 of 78

Quote:
Yeah, I cant wait to check out some other cuts.  I'll look into stuff you mention!

I looked for 'Snow' on MOG, but it's not there. 'X' is however and I'm listening to it right now. 

How is it I've never heard of Spock's Beard?!?! They rock!

Loving this thread...
dt880smile.png

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #68 of 78
[size=10.0pt]I know its a little late but this is the first chance I have had to post.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]I received my gift from Ritchiepurple and have only been able to give it a couple of spins so far...but already I can see it joining my list of favourites[/size]

[size=10.0pt]An acoustic album by an ex Red Hot Chili Pepper member.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]John Frusciante - Curtains[/size]
[size=10.0pt] [/size]
[size=10.0pt]Its very different to his original band, but to me there is a slight hint of the Peppers in this album.[/size]

**** UPDATE *****

I've now listened to this album a number of times and it just keeps impressing me more with each listen.
This is one album that shines with higher end 'phones!
The recording has a natural analog sound and a wide, spacious soundstage. I like the fact that at times the vocals and instruments have 3D depth as different voices and instruments enter and leave the songs

A GREAT choice by Ritchiepurple

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #69 of 78
Received my gift today and am finding it facinating, not something I would ever have thought of buying but am really enjoying it.

Sa Dingding: Alive

55ca1586-841d-127d.jpg

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #70 of 78
Just received my last exchange, turned out my neigbour had received it and she was too lazy to bring it over...
Anyway, I got:

Thanks Joel! I'm listening to it right now, very relaxing :)

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #71 of 78
I love Patricia Barber but the Cole Porter album is not top of my list from her

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #73 of 78
Quote:
I love Patricia Barber but the Cole Porter album is not top of my list from her

Yeah, well, Ultrainferno and I are old friends who have PM-ed about female jazz vocalists (among other topics) for over a year, so I figured that it's a decent Patricia Barber introduction for him.  More than anything the choice was dictated by the fact that I bought my gifts from a local store rather than online, and the choices were not as expansive.  But yeah, if "Nightclub" had been on the racks, I might have opted for that instead; "Modern Cool" is a bit too avant-garde in places for my tastes.  I still like her take on standards like "You're The Top"...

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #74 of 78

Quote:
Yeah, well, Ultrainferno and I are old friends who have PM-ed about female jazz vocalists (among other topics) for over a year, so I figured that it's a decent Patricia Barber introduction for him.  More than anything the choice was dictated by the fact that I bought my gifts from a local store rather than online, and the choices were not as expansive.  But yeah, if "Nightclub" had been on the racks, I might have opted for that instead; "Modern Cool" is a bit too avant-garde in places for my tastes.  I still like her take on standards like "You're The Top"...

I agree Modern Cool isn't the easiest album to listen to, but the album is worth owning for her cover of Fool on the Hill alone.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #75 of 78
Brown Sugar presents "Let There Be Funk!", a very interesting compilation.

Corry must have read Genesis and assumed there was already plenty of light so why not add some Funk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back