Head-Direct RE2 vs. Ultimate Ears SF3/SF4
Jul 27, 2008 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LogicalDisconnect

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

I've looked everywhere but haven't managed to find much of a comparison between these sets of headphones. I'm limited in price to under $AUD150, so these seem to be about it - I can find the RE2s for $99 and the UEs both for $139. I've read good reviews of both, and I listen to a fairly wide range of music (but not metal, trance, hip-hop etc. so I don't think bass is a huge issue), so I'm finding it very hard to decide! I'll be using a 30g iPod and listening mostly on the bus and while exercising, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jul 27, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 11
I have both of those models and the RE2s, which I just received a few days ago, seem to sound good but mine has a defective left phone. I've requested service but haven't been contacted yet. Until I can get a replacement set, i can't make deep comments about their sound quality.

The UE3s are my updated new number one canalphones. Their sound quality is above the others in my signature. I would say to go with the UE3s. They have an outstanding soundstage and clarity, great and accurate bass, an overall very detailed and clear sound quality. They have a right up front sound to them.

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by LogicalDisconnect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot. Is there much difference between the 3s and the 4s that you can discern?

Anyone else have any experience with these models?

Beyond the obvious style difference, I can't say. I'm trying to obtain a set of the UE4s but haven't yet. It's possible the 4s are just a downward version of the 3s and may sound very similar. however, I saw one post in another thread speaking of the 4s as not as good a sounding as the 3s.

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 11
That's strange - I thought I'd read the opposite about the SF3 and SF4. In any case, I'm not a huge fan of the "over the ear" style of the SF3, but I guess I'll have to think about it.

I would like some other opinions too if anyone's tried (any of) these, before I make a decision. I'm sure I've seen others here with the RE2...

Jul 28, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 11
Jul 29, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 11
Yeah, that's where I was going to buy from - I got my other headphones from them and they're very good. But you've now made me even more confused.

So here's a bigger question - I can get the Sleek SA6s imported for around $AU230 and the UE SF5 Pros or ER-4Ps imported for a bit less than that. I've read some favourable comparisons between the RE2 at least and some of these other models, so I'm wondering whether it's worth spending the extra money or whether I should just go for the RE2s or the SF3s.

I realise that the quality of the more expensive models will probably be at least somewhat better, but I'm not sure whether it will be ~$120 better or not. To be honest I'd rather by locally, but I'm willing to import if it's really a better deal.

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 11
The question is, what kind of SQ are you looking for? The best you can afford, or the best bang of the bucks? Both RE2 and SA6 are great choice of their price point, but it really depends on what kind of SQ you are looking for. If you want the best US$200 IEM in the market now, than go for SA6. If you just want something better than your average iBud, RE2 will serve as a great beginner 'phone.

Note: both are available from Headphonic (AUS) but at a higher price. The good news? You get a 20 days trial and you can return / exchange them.

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for your reply. Obviously I'm on a limited budget, and around $AUD250 is about as high as I want to go. The only reason I'm even considering models like the SA6 etc. is because I can potentially import them for less than that price - eg the SA6 is $299 locally, the ER-4P is $329 and the SF5 is pretty similar.

But within those confines, as you say, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. What I'm trying to say is, I'm happy to put up with the lower quality of the RE2s - I'm no real audiophile, after all - if you and others suggest that overall it provides better value than the SA6 and others in terms of price vs. SQ. If I get more out of my $ by spending the extra money on the more expensive models, then I'll do that instead.

I realise it's difficult to quantify the difference in sound quality in dollar terms, but still, if you and others can give it a go I'd really appreciate it. (I did read your reviews of the SA6 and RE2, by the way, but given that you rank them as equal in value...well, maybe that tells me what your answer will be!)

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by LogicalDisconnect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(I did read your reviews of the SA6 and RE2, by the way, but given that you rank them as equal in value...well, maybe that tells me what your answer will be!)

Indeed. My personal view is: Get RE2 if you only have US$100 to spend; Get SA6 if your budget is $200. It is that easy
cool.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 11
Unfortunately the 20day trial on headphonic doesn't apply to intra-aural stuff so the RE2's wont be returnable. I do have a pair though and they're VERY good for the price, though my only other IEM's to reference are the Ety 6i and Vsonic RO2-Pro. If i had more money i would possibly have gone for the sleeks myself, but the major thing that held me back (other than money) was that i'd be using these as portables, hence they'll be treated roughly.. thrown in with uni books and into jacket/jeans pockets.. i'd say the build quality will easily hold up to some rough use but it'll break eventually. So my advice pretty much mirrors ClieOS's, if you have the budget and intend to take at least a bit of care for your new cans, go the Sleeks.. if you throw your portables around like i do.. RE2's are probably the way to go.
Would not recommend the Vsonics btw.. have had a few friends get them only to have them fall apart after a few weeks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back