Head-direct RE2 isolation?
Sep 21, 2008 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

quadrophonic

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've done all the research here and around I believe, and I'm still left confused on exactly how much isolation to expect from the RE2s.

Can anyone who owns them clarify?

I'd like to know if I used them with a typical mp3 player on a typical city bus or subway, would I hear the music clearly and satisfactorily without cranking the volume? Ideally I don't want to hear any of the crap going on around me, just the music.

If the RE2s don't meet this need, it seems I need to jump up to the Ety ER4P ... is that correct? Or is there a high-quality alternative for ~$100? Isolation and overall SQ are what I'm after.

Thanks!

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by quadrophonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I've done all the research here and around I believe, and I'm still left confused on exactly how much isolation to expect from the RE2s.

Can anyone who owns them clarify?

I'd like to know if I used them with a typical mp3 player on a typical city bus or subway, would I hear the music clearly and satisfactorily without cranking the volume? Ideally I don't want to hear any of the crap going on around me, just the music.

If the RE2s don't meet this need, it seems I need to jump up to the Ety ER4P ... is that correct? Or is there a high-quality alternative for ~$100? Isolation and overall SQ are what I'm after.

Thanks!

If you want complete isolation, I'd go the Westone UM1.
However the RE2's do have a good amount of isolation considering it's canalphone.

The UM1 is an IEM, which by design, are extremely isolating.
Sound quality wise however, the RE2's are better.

Sep 21, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 6
If you are using the RE2's for the subway, you will definitely hear things going on. Because they are open, the isolation is not so great (My opinion). In quiet places is where it works the best.

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 6
Best isolation under $100 is probably ER6i, UM1 is pretty good too. The unfortunate thing is RE2 sounds much better than my ER6i but not as isolating. It is definitely a trade off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back