Head-Direct RE2 + Cowon D2 concern
Jun 13, 2008 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello, head-fi, I've got a little question that some of you peeps may be able to hopefully answer.

I just bought and paid-for some Head-Direct RE2's via Group Buy but however I am slightly concerned that the RE2's are 32 ohm IEM's while according to Cowon, the output power of the D2 is 16 ohms. Will this affect the RE2 in any significant negative way/ will an headphone amp be needed to counter this problem or isn't it a real problem?

Also I've read that the RE2 have a little problem with noise isolation. Are they as bad as say the Yuin's in terms of noise isolation?

And one last question for RE2 owners, how long did it take for your RE2's to arrive from head-direct (please state location)?

TIA.

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 4
No amp is required. There are plenty of other phones that operate at above 16 ohms and work wonderfully with the D2 (in fact pretty much every phone is over 16 ohm)

Yuin's don't isolate at all (their canalphone "option" barely works), so the RE2 is definitely a better isolator.

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4saken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No amp is required. There are plenty of other phones that operate at above 16 ohms and work wonderfully with the D2 (in fact pretty much every phone is over 16 ohm)

Yuin's don't isolate at all (their canalphone "option" barely works), so the RE2 is definitely a better isolator.

I know they don't isolate at all, I've had the PK3's
smily_headphones1.gif
. Great sound for the money but only in a quiet setting but how bad is the noise isolation on the RE2 in relation to say the Denon c551s?

Also, how well powered is it as I've read up here and different 32ohm rated earphones power better than others?

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought and paid-for some Head-Direct RE2's via Group Buy but however I am slightly concerned that the RE2's are 32 ohm IEM's while according to Cowon, the output power of the D2 is 16 ohms. Will this affect the RE2 in any significant negative way/ will an headphone amp be needed to counter this problem or isn't it a real problem?

I think you read the D2 spec in the wrong way. The spec lists only one power output under a fixed load (that is the 16ohms impedance), but it isn't mean the player can't be used on another load. The whole thing is, when you change the load, the maximum power output will change accordingly, i.e. 74mW for 16ohms, but less than 74mW for 32ohms, and even less for 150ohms. The higher the impedance goes, the less power the D2 can put out.

Quote:

Also I've read that the RE2 have a little problem with noise isolation. Are they as bad as say the Yuin's in terms of noise isolation?

If you use the big bi-flange that come with the IEM, isolation shouldn't be too much of a problem. They are close to that of CX300 or EP-630.
Quote:

And one last question for RE2 owners, how long did it take for your RE2's to arrive from head-direct (please state location)?

With in a week by EMS, from China to Malaysia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back