Head-Direct RE0: durabilty issues? too much microphonics?
Jan 29, 2011 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

8140david

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good IEM for less than 100 euros (postage to France included).
The Head-Direct RE0 seems good for me, as I listen mostly to folk music, jazz and classical music.
I'll use these IEMS exclusively when commuting in the subway or on the train.
They'll be directly plugged on my Sony NWZ-A818.
Since I want a reasonable amount of music on the Sony, I use mp3 192 vbr (downgraded from 320 or lossless versions I have at home, where I use a different equipment).
I'm concerned with 2 things:
- Some users report that the RE0 generate microphonics very easily. Do you agree? Is the solution of wearing them behind the ears plus plugging the cable on the shirt satisfactory? Or is too cumbersome in practice?
- Some users report that their RE0s lasted just a couple of months. Is that confirmed, a general trend? That would be more worrisome. My previous IEMs lasted 2 or 3 years, and I already found that annoying... I won't put my IEMs in a jeens' pockets together with keys etc, but I will put them in my jacket pocket or in one "compartment" in my bag...

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 8
They should be fine if you take care of them, the microphonics is there, but not to bothersome.  the have upgraded the jack on the re0's recently and the reliefs look sturdier in my opinion.  If you want to check out some other iems in the price range, th sunrise x-cape is similar.  Or look at reviews of the fischer audio eterna v1

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 8
I had my RE0s for 8 months before I got my RE_ZEROs and had no problems with them.If you wear them over the ear there should be no problem with microphonics. Also consider the RE_ZERO (i prefer it over theRE0 although they are both great IEMs

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 8
I never had problems with my RE0 which I owned for several months. In my opinion they are plenty durable and microphonics are almost non-existent when they are worn over the ear.

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 8
I have the re0 for almost a year now. No durability issues, though I take good care of them.
I tried once to wear them over the ear but it looked stupid and I was concerned about the durability of the cord at that rather odd angle. The microphonics are pretty bad when I walk (worse than say the cx300-II, my other iem).

On the other hand they are great sounding IEMs

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 8
One of the housings of my RE-ZERO became splitted  2 months after I bought them. I still think report of splitting housings is getting rarer now though.

On the bright side my RE-ZERO got replaced by the newer version with TRS plug, kudos to Hifiman.
etysmile.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 8

Re0 are perfect for your genres. However, as far as I remember they do not isolate that well so subway/train listening might be not that enjoyable.
Quote:
I'm looking for a good IEM for less than 100 euros (postage to France included).
The Head-Direct RE0 seems good for me, as I listen mostly to folk music, jazz and classical music.
I'll use these IEMS exclusively when commuting in the subway or on the train.
They'll be directly plugged on my Sony NWZ-A818.
Since I want a reasonable amount of music on the Sony, I use mp3 192 vbr (downgraded from 320 or lossless versions I have at home, where I use a different equipment).
I'm concerned with 2 things:
- Some users report that the RE0 generate microphonics very easily. Do you agree? Is the solution of wearing them behind the ears plus plugging the cable on the shirt satisfactory? Or is too cumbersome in practice?
- Some users report that their RE0s lasted just a couple of months. Is that confirmed, a general trend? That would be more worrisome. My previous IEMs lasted 2 or 3 years, and I already found that annoying... I won't put my IEMs in a jeens' pockets together with keys etc, but I will put them in my jacket pocket or in one "compartment" in my bag...

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:

Re0 are perfect for your genres. However, as far as I remember they do not isolate that well so subway/train listening might be not that enjoyable.

I found the RE0s and RE-ZEROs have reasonably good isolation with Sony Hybrids or the Bi Flanges supplied, but not so good with the single flanges.
IMO they are better isolators than most of my previous IEMs except of course my klipsch x5s which were exceptional at isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back