Head amp - good reviews?
Jan 17, 2009 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Androxylo

New Head-Fier
Hi folks! My first post here.

I have a limited experience with gear, so I have more questions than answers. I'm posting in this section because I have a little frustration that the full-size headphone amps are not properly reviewed. I saw some reviews of ultra-portables, but that's not very useful.

My current setup is pretty poor and I plan the upgrade. I have comp feeding the Musiland MD10 DAC/headamp plus sennheiser 280 PRO cans. I mostly listen 250k encoded mp3s, sometimes raw CDs.

The only good thing I can say about this setup is that there is no fatigue. I can listen no matter how long and I can be tired from music in general but there is no fatigue that is prompting me to turn it off.

I think the sound I hear from this setup can be called "simple and boring". There are some very minor distortions at high frequencies, but it's not something that decrease the pleasure from music.

My plan is to enhance this setup with good DAC (DacMagic) and good cans (Denon D5000). I'll need also a headamp.

For now I just ordered a used Rega Ear amp. I saw no meaningful reviews about it or about any other amp, so it's pretty much a random purchase just to try it. For now I'll just plug it into MD10 to replace its own build-in headamp, I have no idea if that will make a difference, but I need a separate headamp because in future I will use it with DacMagic.

I just want to encourage this very brightest and earest community to post a little bit more often about full-size headphone amps, comparing them side-by-side, so the beginners like me can have at least some clue.

Tons of thanks to everyone!

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 15
I also heard some opinion on this forum that the amp is much less important than a good DAC, i.e. recommended budget is to spend most money on DAC and only 1/3 of that on the amp.

I'd like also to get an opinion on what is the most optimal budget split between all the rig (DAC->amp->cans).

For example, from all the reviews I've read it seems the Denon D5000 are the right cans for me (I need closed phones).

That would make the budget split to look like this:

DAC (say, DacMagic) $400, headamp (say, the Rega Ear) $140 and D5000 $400. Is that the right way to spend $940?

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 15
I did a quick search on 'Rega Ear':

Showing results 1 to 50 of 522
Search took 1.04 seconds.

So simple a caveman could do it.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sure
normal_smile .gif

I've probably read the first 100 of those links. None of them is making a reasonable professional setup vs. at least 4-5 other amps. I found NOTHING.

Yes, I found a lot of professional reviews on head amps above $800 or so. But this is not my budget. It seems when the price goes below $400 nobody even try them.

Compare with DACs, for example. If you google for Benchmark DAC1 you'll get probably 20 full-sized reviews and 100s of opinions. Enough to buy it (or not).

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 15
Good luck with your research.

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 15
Jan 18, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 15
To the OP, I think its pretty insulting what you just said there.

A lot of people have shared their experience, posted pictures and plenty of comparisons to other amps they have used.

Rather than insulting, just ask a specific question. And like pabbi1 said, stop being lazy then. Cause I don't believe you read 100 of those postings and found none of them to be useful.

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #8 of 15
Thanks skylab.

mbd2884, I apologize, pity it sounded like that.

Let me explain. With any hi-fi component you can start with google and get a dozen decent roundups from mainstream Hi-fi media. Then you can narrow the list by price range and pretty much come with 10 options. Then you can google every one of those options to death and get plenty of targeted reviews.

Now what to do with those headamps?

Skylab just posted a great link above. Very nice reading, but can it be a starting point? Some of them are some weird tube amps coming from China on eBay. I'm assembling the office rig, so a tube amp will attract too much unwanted attention. And I don't want something that is coming exclusively from weird sources. I don't feel comfortable. And I don't want to warm it up, it's an office rig, it must simply work right away.

Then there are some boxes with DAC. I don't like it, because I rather have a separate DAC. That will give upgradability and flexibility. I'm sure most of the integrated options have a DAC that is inferior to DAC1, for example.

Then there are some pre-amps that also have a good headphone jack. I don't want to pay for something I don't need.

So after I reject everything that I'm not comfortable with the list is empty.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Androxylo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds like there's nothing out there for you then. At least you'll save some money.

Of course, if you use the search feature and actually read, then maybe you get some more info.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I have to admit it's starting to sound like you are trying to talk yourself out of something
wink.gif

But sentinl's suggestion of the Purity Audio KICAS is a good one - great amp - I reviewed it here and really liked it. The Meier Audio Arietta could also be a nice choice for you.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 15
what's with all the hostilities to a new person asking a new question? yes there are some reviews, but if he wants a specific answer to a specific question that you believe can be found easily, then why not just dont reply?

or if you do, do it like skylab with opinions and civilities. afterall we're headfi, its a community isnt it? not just a forum.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

If you won't challenge what you're comfortable with you'll end up with nothing.

Generally applicable to life, as well.

If you want a setup, ignore the percentage breakdowns a lot of people give. Here's what's important to me:

1. Quality of recording
2. Transducer
3. Amplifier
4. Source component
5. Miscellaneous stuff

Source first is true, but only insofar as the quality of the recording. If you level match digital sources, they are very difficult to tell apart. The $4,000 player with a 1" thick CNC milled aluminum faceplate is very nice, but the fact that it costs $4,000 does not necessarily mean a $100 CD player is garbage. If you look at the specs, you'll see that even the cheapest machines offer low distortion and noise, and good to excellent numbers all around.

Next, the transducer determines sound quality. An excellent recording with excellent headphones from a $29 DVD player connected to a 1980s receiver sounds surprisingly good.

The amp is important because it has to drive the transducer without clipping or crapping out during loud transients. A lot of smaller, battery-powered amps don't have the reserves to do that with the larger headphones. Dedicated, mains-powered amps are boutique items and can cost a few hundred or more. If you want a good, class A circuit and reliability, you have to pay for it. Sometimes more than the headphones cost.

So to get a setup, first decide on the headphones you want. Spend as much as you can there. Next, find an amplifier that is capable of fully powering them. If the headphones are underpowered, then you're not going to hear all of the recording.

Last, look at the source. Get a fancy one if you like or your budget allows, but it's not necessary.

Jan 18, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There ya go, ragging on the caveman!!!!!
What you got against cavemen huh????!!!!!

eek.gif
ph34r.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #15 of 15
Thanks a lot for all answers!

I think the most useful direction for me is to decide with the cans first and worry about amp later. I will use that Rega Ear for a while to get my ears used to its quality so that I can compare it vs something else.

I'll move to the cans threads and watch for some ideas. This office rig will be my treat for the birthday and I still have time to decide :)

Btw, yes, it will be an office rig. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) as it turns out with two kids I simply cannot listen music at home :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back