HE90 Orpheus and Other Nice Things (WARNING 56Kers)...
Dec 21, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #31 of 243
I hope you will have the opportunity to hear the L3000, as it represents a huge upgrade over the W2002, especially in terms of attack speed, bass response and simply a more balanced sound. The W2002 cannot reach the same heights of the R10, but the L3000 comes awfully close. While I prefer the R10 over the L3000, I must admit that some may prefer the latter. If you prefer the W2002 over the R10 then imagine how much you may enjoy the L3000...
very_evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: I've heard the W2002 with:
Sugden Headmaster (modded and stock)
Emmeline HR-2
Headroom Max
Corda Prehead
Earmax Pro
EAR HP4
Melos SHA-Gold
Singlepower Supra

There are probably others I cannot recall at this moment, but while I thought the best SS amp for the W2002 was the modded Sugden, I enjoyed them the most out of the EAR HP4.

Dec 21, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #32 of 243
You -have- to hear them out of KG's Dynahi. Headamp's, mine, somebody else's, I don't care. The W2002 are amazing out of it. The only points I would give the R10 over the W2002 is sound staging (the w2002 have crappy frontal imaging) and prestige.
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

***EDIT***

That's not to say I don't want a pair of R10. That's just the prestige thing though. The same reason I'd want the HE90/HEV90.

Dec 22, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #33 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
I think AYT is going to come back and NeilPeart and a few other members will have disappeared with all of AYT's gear.

well, you are not welcome to any meets where my gear is present.
tongue.gif
lol bad influence.... Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Head-Fi member Scrith is dropping by today with his upgraded MPX3 (with tons o’ tubes) and the Sony Qualia 010
smily_headphones1.gif
Pictures and impressions will be posted here…

cool.
biggrin.gif
what tubes does he have? If I had known maybe I would have let you borrow some 6SN7 tubes of mine. Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
holy $hit that will feed my family for a year and pay for my kids college tuition..

smily_headphones1.gif
stop giving NeilPeart ideas. Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
I will have to respectively disagree with your view of the R10 vs. W2002. I feel the W2002 have are faster, have better bass, and superior detail.

I disagree... although the W2002 has more bass than the R10 (L3000 beats both though), the R10 is definitely faster and has more detail than the W2002 (the L3000 falls somewhere in between). I haven't heard them out of a dynahi yet (going to build one soon) but I don't see how it can improve the sound of the W2002 that much. if it does though, then the R10 / L3000 should improve along the same lines and become even stronger headphones. I still like the L3000 the best out of those three.
smily_headphones1.gif

Trevor - if you want an L3000 I can buy one for you for a slightly lower price than usually seen online.
evil_smiley.gif

I brought the L3000 with me to japan for some repairs... so no impressions from Leeav on the L3000 this time.
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #34 of 243
I have 3 Tung Sol Round Plates (my preferred setup with my old HD650), 2 Sylvania VT-231, 1 Ken-Rad VT-231, 1 Sylvania 1952 tall, and the original EH tubes. I was going to bring all but the stock tubes. The Qualia will have around 50 hours on it when I bring it tonight. The MPX3 I'm bringing has Solen Stage 3 and Jensen cap upgrades. I'll be bringing an "extra" Benchmark DAC1 and various cables (PS Audio XStream Statement PC, Zu Mother PC, Zu Varial IC, Kimber toslink). I've never heard anything other than an HD650 (and various other less expensive headphones), so it should be interesting...

Dec 22, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #35 of 243
Scrith - have fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish I could be there to listen to the 010 alongside the rest of my gear... we should have another meet (when I'm there) later on.

Dec 22, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #36 of 243
ayt999:

I do not tend to agree with your assessment of the R10 vs. W2002 debate. However, I respect that fact that you have spent much more time with each than I have. Well, certainly with the R10! I do however know that we hear differently from past comments you have made about headphones. Interestingly, we are both fans of the higher-end AT headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as the L3000, I would really have to give them a good audition before I would consider purchasing them. Has anyone physically compared the driver and/or driver housing of the L3000 to the W2002?

Dec 22, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #37 of 243
TrevorNetwork - heh. I've had the W2002 for about three years now and the R10 for about six months. of course, that doesn't mean I listen to them too much (the L3000 is the one I've listened to most so far I think).
tongue.gif

I guess we can agree to disagree....

Dec 22, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #38 of 243
NeilPeart said:
Alex (ayt999) “forced” me to baby-sit some of his headphone gear while he vacations in Japan and here are some teaser shots of the equipment at my disposal

I KNEW it all along, you're the real Neil Peart and this is Alex Lifeson's headphone gear your baby sitting, isnt it?
orphsmile.gif

JC

Dec 22, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #39 of 243
Wow, I drove all the way home, set all my headphone gear back up, and still no info from NeilPeart...hurry up!
smily_headphones1.gif

Without going into detail (I'll let NeilPeart do that, since he took quite a few notes on my feedback as we were passing around the headphones), I'll just say it was an amazing opportunity to hear many (if not all) of the most acclaimed headphones in one location, all with the same several pieces of music. I'd just like to thank NeilPeart (and ayt999) for giving me the opportunity to try out the best of the best with some of the music I'm most familiar with (or that I thought would show off the various aspects of the different headphones well).

My one disappointment is that Leeav confirmed my fear that I'm going to need to spend even more money now that I've purchased the Qualias. Not exactly a surprise around here, I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #40 of 243
Dude, this is like the Wrestlemania of headphones. I can only imagine how great Credence or the last screams on Blackwater Park from Opeth would sound on those headphones
eek.gif
Neil, you are one lucky dude
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #41 of 243
The system consisted of:
Panasonic DVD-S47 connected to the DAC1 via a Belden 1694A 75ohm coaxial cable; the S47 was powered by a PS Audio Power Punch C7 cable (2-pin style), which was plugged into the PS Audio P300.

DAC1 with a Zu Cable Mother power cord connected to a PS Audio P300.

The DAC1’s RCA output was connected to a Singlepower MPX3 via Zu Cable Varial interconnects.

The Singlepower MPX3 was powered via a PS Audio Statement power cord and featured various upgrades (which Chris will explain) along with 3 Tung Sol Roundplates (IIRC).

The DAC1’s XLR output was connected to a Headamp Blue Hawaii via Mogami 110ohm AES-capable XLR cables.

The Blue Hawaii had 4 Ruby EL34 tubes, and was powered by a Quail power cord plugged straight into the wall.

Only the DAC1 and Panasonic transport were connected to the P300 (which was connected straight to the wall via a PS Audio Prelude power cord).

Some pictures:
P300.jpg
Qualia_Stand.jpg
Qualia__Stand.jpg
Qualia_2.jpg
Qualia_1.jpg
Qualia_Stand_Macro.jpg
Electrostats.jpg
Cans_3.jpg
Cans_2.jpg
Cans_1.jpg
Chris_Qualia.jpg
Chris_HE90.jpg

Some initial impressions:
The Qualia is much better than I ever expected. Although the amplification was far from ideal (I actually preferred the sound of the Benchmark amp over the MPX3 in most instanced with the Qualia) the Qualia still managed to reveal such detail and nuance that even the R10 and HE90 felt a bit un-resolving. However, while the detail freaks will absolutely love this headphone, I felt the Qualia was simply too detailed and analytical to be enjoyable all of the time. Don’t get me wrong, the Qualia is probably the most resolving headphone I’ve ever heard; I simply prefer the more musical (IMO) sound of the R10 and HE90 (still my personal favorite). It is hard to regress to “lesser” ‘phones like my balanced HD650/Zu, as the veil is now noticeable. Even the HP-2, Omega II and PS-1 sound veiled compared to the Qualia – only the R10 and HE90 manage to sound (almost) as clear as the Qualia. Listening to the Qualia is like removing every layer of possible veil that ever existed, and then removing every layer of skin in one’s ear!
wink.gif
I wish I could hear the UE10-Pro and Sensaphonics 2X-S, because I fear even they cannot match the detail-level achieved by Qualia 010. While I admit the Qualia is a Tier 1 can, it still is not my choice because I don’t want a sonic microscope when I listen to classic punk or really old jazz – this is when the Qualia’s strength would become a distraction and irritation to me, but I can’t help to wonder about the Qualia’s potential with better amplification, cabling and simply living with it to acclimate to its unique sound (thankfully I cannot afford such a burden at this time). Hopefully Chris can chime in with some more detailed thoughts (hint, hint
tongue.gif
) and then I’ll write a full-fledged review for the impressions forum.

EDIT: I wish I had the L3000 and K1000 here for Chris to hear, but I would say the roster was fairly complete. That said the K1000 and L3000 are Tier 2 cans IMO compared to the Tier 1s (HE90, R10, 010, SR-007).

Dec 22, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #42 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
I felt the Qualia was simply too detailed and analytical to be enjoyable all of the time.

You want the truth? Well seems you can't handle the truth.
tongue.gif

I don't believe there such a thing as too detailed. Analytical is a state of mind. You gotta learn to ignore. You can train your ear and stuff but you should also have a mechanism to turn all that off.

My tier 1 is K1000, HE90, and Qualia.

Dec 22, 2004 at 8:43 AM Post #43 of 243
3 hours later...what I remember:

Orpheus HE90: a great sounding headphone, truly something that I think I could listen to any type of music on for hours and hours and never get tired of. And yet...it's there, and even NeilPeart had to admit it when I pointed it out during certain musical sections...a very distinct veil (somewhat similar to that of the HD650, though not quite as dramatic), and some distortion in the bass (and, to a lesser extent, the highs as well). He'd have the Qualias on and I'd have the HE90s on and I'd say "There...listen to that on these..." and he would and instantly you could see the surprised expression on his face...it sounded clearer on the Qualias. And this was with the Benchmark DAC1 driving the Qualias (vs. the Blue Hawaii uber-modded amp driving the HE90s). Still...easier on the ear than the Qualias (which, again, only had around 50 hours of break in).

R10: amazing headphone...I kind of ended up considering it as a cross between the HE90 (for mids and musicality vs. the Qualia) and the Qualia (with clearer, less veiled highs than the Orpheus). This is another one that I think I would be perfectly happy with if I had only one headphone.

Qualia: there is no question that these headphones will enable you to hear things that the HE90s, R10s, Omega IIs, etc. will not. It is like night and day, plain, basic, right in your face, go back and forth between these and any other headphone I heard tonight as many times as you want...these are, quite simply, the most detailed, revealing, transparent headphones that I heard tonight. True, the lower mids are a bit recessed (perhaps something an equalizer or break-in or a better amp could overcome?), as is the bass (to a lesser extent)...but they are there, and they are absolutely crystal clear. Again, a reminder on this: amp was a Benchmark DAC1 and the phones had about 50 hours of usage prior to this evening (and were 4 days old).

Stax Omega II: disappointing. OK, it sounded very good. But...and I'm sorry...in my opinion it is just simply owned by the HE90. And, next to the Qualia, it sounded a bit *distorted*.

Audio Technica W2002: I did not like these phones. After hearing the same music on the Qualias and switching to these, the distortion was obvious...they sounded muddy. I preferred the HD650 w/ balanced cable to these, as well.

Grado HP2: very detailed phone (perhaps a notch less than the Qualias, and with a kind of laid-back quality), although the presentation was very flat, and had a sort of metallic twinge to it.

Grado PS1: more musical than the HP2, but less detailed. I think, after the richness of the HE90, R10, and Qualia, these just seemed a little dull.

HD650 (balanced): sounded pretty good, about the same as my un-balanced HD650 (though I didn't bring them for a direct comparison). I think an unbalanced HD650 sounds better through the MPX3 than a balanced HD650 with a DAC1...but again, that is just kind of a guess, since I didn't have my HD650s with me.

For whatever reason, the Qualias seem to lose a bit of detail with the MPX3 (although the sound is richer and has more punch) when compared to the amp built into the Benchmark DAC1. This is especially odd to me because the MPX3 sounds absolutely amazing with my old HD650 headphones (a major upgrade over the DAC1's amp). This influenced some of our comparisions between the R10 and the Qualias, because the R10s (which sounded only a little bit worse connected to the MPX3) were connected to the DAC1, which seems to work better for both of these cans. When we switched the two around (R10 to MPX3 and Qualias to DAC1), I think the Qualias went up a notch in Leeav's opinion (I was already familiar with the difference between the two amps with the Qualias). The MPX3 was using a Tung Sol Round Plate in the front position and 2 Sylvania VT-231s. It has the Solen Stage 3 and Jensen capacitor upgrades.

So that's what I remember. My plan now is to think about a more suitable (expensive, I guess...) amp for the Qualias, and get them burned in a bit more before the next meet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back