HE90 Orpheus and Other Nice Things (WARNING 56Kers)...
Dec 18, 2004 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 243

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
Alex (ayt999) “forced” me to baby-sit some of his headphone gear while he vacations in Japan and here are some teaser shots of the equipment at my disposal (I will update these awful web-cam pics once I have access to my grandpa’s camera):

Best_Cans.jpg

BH_2.jpg

BH_1.jpg

Electrostats.jpg

SR-007_Box.jpg

SR-007.jpg
HE90_Box_1.jpg
HE90_Box2.jpg
HE90_3.jpg
HE90_2.jpg
HE90_1.jpg
Grado_1.jpg
Grado_2.jpg
Grado_3.jpg
Grado_Boxes.jpg

HP2.jpg
HP2_Box_1.jpg
HP2_Box_2.jpg
PS1.jpg
PS1_Box.jpg
R10_1.jpg
R10_2.jpg
R10_Mad.jpg
R10_5.jpg
R10_4.jpg
W2002_1.jpg
W2002_2.jpg
W2002_5.jpg

He let me borrow:
Sennheiser HE 90 (Orpheus)
Stax SR-007 (Omega II)
Sony MDR-R10
Audio-Technica ATH-W2002
Grado HP-2 and PS-1 Pro
Headamp Blue Hawaii electrostatic amplifier

I have:
Panasonic DVD-S47 transport (outputs un-molested DVD-Audio digital at any sampling rate – 88.2/96/176.4/192kHz to Benchmark DAC1)
Benchmark DAC1
PS Audio P300 and assorted PS Audio power cables and power ports
HD650 with a balanced (XLR) Zu Mobius
HD580 with Oehlbach
HD25-1 with HD650 cable

The HE90 system I’m using:

P300->Panasonic DVD-S47->Belden 1694A Coax->Benchmark DAC1->Radio Shack Fusion ICs (I will find some better ICs ASAP)->Blue Hawaii with Quail PC plugged into the wall, and Ruby EL-34B tubes (a huge upgrade over the stock Electro-Harmonix in terms of detail retrieval and treble smoothness)->HE90

I have already begun charging the HE90 and I’m enjoying it as it charges; so far it is unbelievably good (and will probably only improve if it follows the Omega II charge-up formula). I understand why the Orpheus is so sought after but I also understand why some would still prefer the Omega II or the R10. I will say that I’m betting many Omega II fans, if given the chance to hear the HE90 from a great amp like the KGSS, Blue Hawaii (and probably Sennheiser’s HEV90 amp, but I’ve never heard it) might prefer the Orpheus (but most are never allowed the opportunity). Some initial impressions (with the understanding that things will probably improve or at least change as the HE90 charges):

1.Almost K1000-like width of soundstage, with a vertical soundstage I’ve never heard before, even from the R10, Omega II, K1000 or balanced HD650
2.Smoooooth top end that shimmers with detail yet isn’t fatiguing (and still incredibly involving)
3.Midrange that competes with the R10 for best-I’ve-heard-yet: it is seductive and magical
4.Bass that is very present (more than HD650 + balanced Zu Mobius) and as impactful as ever I’ve heard an electrostatic, but is not bass-heavy and certainly not dark like the Omega II is to my ears
5.It presents a cohesive, musical sound that I cannot give up – I’ve been listening to it since I arrived home @ 9PM – it is enchanting. I’m using mostly hi-rez DVD-Audio, but I’ve been returning to my Redbooks and they are as stunning as ever

I know it sounds like I’m gushing, but hopefully us Bay Area Head-Fiers can hold a meet soon (even a very small one) to confirm my thoughts and provide a better amp for the other cans (the DAC1 amp has great synergy with the HD580/600/650, but it cannot wake up the HP-2, control the PS-1’s bass or give the MDR-R10 what it needs). I’m glad I finally heard the elusive Orpheus but I’m sad because even if I could one day afford it I could never justify such a luxurious purchase. It’s 1AM and I’m not sleeping anytime soon – I promised my buddies I’d hang out at the Brit (Britannia Arms, a local British/Irish pub) but I reneged and am spending my weekend alone with the HE90, like a truly dedicated Head-Fi geek!
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 243
lol. be nice to my cans.
orphsmile.gif

btw, I did some room rearrangements (read placing the Accuphase on my dresser next to the computers and the P300 in the middle of the room blocking access to the closet) and right now experimenting with this setup:

dual xeon music server -> ethernet -> dual barton w/ RME HDSP 9632 transport -> glass optical -> Accuphase DP-85 used as a DAC -> ZCable Live v5 -> grace 901 -> HD650.

Leeav left me the balanced reference and ATH-L3000 so I'll probably switch the amp and headphone so I can do a direct sound comparison of the blackgate modded HDSP analog out versus that of the DP-85 used as a transport.

Dec 18, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 243
Neil,

You look like a complete dork wearing all those phones. A young man like you should not put himself in a situation that would detrimental to dating. As a concerned fellow head-fyer, I would be willing to aide you in your quest towards coolness and sex appeal. I am willing to take on your headphone burden to relieve you of such a heavy responsibility and provide you with plausible deniability that the pictures posted were just a fluke, and that you were caught in your moment of weakness.

I will provide you with an address where you can send all the geekware, thus shedding that label.

You don't have to thank me. I'm glad to help.

Beefcake

Dec 18, 2004 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 243
You guys really are headphone geeks.
orphsmile.gif

I'm starting to change my mind about really expensive headphones. I always thought they were a waste of money but I'm starting to see the attraction.

Dec 18, 2004 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 243
No molestation pics?
evil_smiley.gif

How does the stereo imaging of the HE90's compare? To the HD650's, R10, Omega II's? Are instruments well centered, location able to be distinguished, and separated?

Does it feel like you need crossfeed?

-Ed

Dec 18, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 243
You look really similar to "Zoolander" doing his "Blue Steel" on some of those pics.

Don't listen to me...I'm just jealous.
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 243
You look so focused..

Oh wait, if I had the Orpheus on my head so would I
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 243
without the Blue Hawaii in my room it is sort of cold.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
I know it sounds like I’m gushing, but hopefully us Bay Area Head-Fiers can hold a meet soon (even a very small one)

you want to hold a meet without me!?
eek.gif
lol

Dec 18, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 243
Forget Blue Steel - it's all about the Magnum!

And I would croak to have any of those in my permanent possession - having all those in the house = divorce for me lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back