HE90: $8000 worth?
Mar 5, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #31 of 174
People are too damn quick to figure out the meaning of "worth". If it's going to be a financial hardship, it's probably not worth it, regardless of how good it is. However, if you've got the money, you're a headphone listener, and you want the best there is, yes, it may be worth it. Just remember, $8K for the headphone is just the start. You're going to need an amp that can drive it properly to hear all that it can do, so you may be looking at double the cost of the headphone (or more) before you're settled in.

"Worth" is a personal judgement, and nobody can decide that for you.

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #32 of 174
I disagree with most of the comments saying the cans aren't worth it. It's quite simple, you could offer me $8k for my HE90, but I wouldn't sell it. That means, by definition, they are worth more than $8k to me. If at the time Jan Meier announced the new HE90 batch cost $8k each, I would have paid $8k. My guess is that the limited run would have still sold out, though not necessarily to the same people.

Really, it's up to you to decide if $8k is worth it to you. That's only something you, your spending preferences, your income, can really decide. Other than that, the only other relevant consideration is the chance that another HE90 will come up on the market, chances it will be acceptable to you, and the price at which you will need to pay in order to acquire it.

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #33 of 174
I completely agree with Hirsch and Jason on this. Completely. Personally, I don't try to quantify enjoyment in terms of cost. I usually find this actually takes away from my enjoyment anyway. Are they worth $8K? Well, do you even know if you like the phones? After hearing them, owning them, having the entire Orpheus system, I would unequivocally say "YES YES YES". But that is me. I have never heard anything close in my opinion, and I have heard almost every headphone.

...However, you've got to be able to jump the hurdle (cost) in the first place.

Related: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...94#post1963994

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #35 of 174
A packet of cigarettes in Norway is $9.78. Yes, honestly. So having done some quick calculations I've figured out I've spent approximately $10k over the past three years. This makes Hugo's possible investment look very sensible in comparison. Those of you who thinks he's nuts just by considering it, might have a think about all the crap you've bought over the last few years that aren't worth anything now, not to you or anyone else. At least his Orpheus will be worth a considerable amount of money for years to come. Maybe even more than the initial investment.

Hmm....I might consider giving up on those Marlboros
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #36 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by OK Johansen
Hmm....I might consider giving up on those Marlboros
biggrin.gif

I would if I were you. I don't think anyone would argue that spending $3.3K a year to slowly kill yourself is a good investment.

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #37 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I disagree with most of the comments saying the cans aren't worth it. It's quite simple, you could offer me $8k for my HE90, but I wouldn't sell it. That means, by definition, they are worth more than $8k to me. If at the time Jan Meier announced the new HE90 batch cost $8k each, I would have paid $8k. My guess is that the limited run would have still sold out, though not necessarily to the same people.

That's why I find my personal feelings on this sort of interesting. I wouldn't take the 8K for mine but I don't think I would have paid 8K either. My guess is this means if Jan had put 'em up for that I would still be an owner, it just would have taken me a little longer to talk myself into it!

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #38 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
You're going to need an amp that can drive it properly to hear all that it can do, so you may be looking at double the cost of the headphone (or more) before you're settled in.

Hmmm, I think you're lowballing it on this Hirsch. Let's face it, it's gonna be at least 4K or up for a source and 3500 is the low end of what I'd consider worthy amplification. (Yeah, I've heard the lower cost amps and I couldn't hack them for long). Of course, some nice used EMM Labs gear (damn you bozebuttons!
evil_smiley.gif
) will mate better and cost more and a maxed ES-1 would really come in handy and that's what we're talking to really do justice to the HE-90. Yeah, you could do it cheaper, 2K for source and 1.7K for source but what's the point?

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #40 of 174
It all depends on your financial situation. If you want it, and won't be levelled by the cost, why not. It is understandable to want the best.

If I was rich I would most definitely have a pair, though I would shop around. I'm sure there is a pair floating around for far less than $8k!

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #43 of 174
"When the music is soft, the sounds caress your skin. When it changes into a powerful fortissimo,the listener will be swept away to the epitome of joy."

Yessssss! Now that's what I'm talking about! for 317,000 bucks less you can have that experience with the HE90's. Heck now I'm ready to pull the trigger on those cans. Oh, wait a minute, I'm broke from my latest purchase (ety4P's which were 7,820 dollars cheaper than the senns).

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #44 of 174
Worth is pretty relative.

As a college student the HE90 isn't worth $8000 to me but if I was well off financially I could probably justify spending the money on a set of headphones. At $8000 you're probably not going to be able to recoup your investment if you ever wanted to sell them but if you've got the money and the Orpheus is your holy grail go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back