HE-90, L3000, OMEGA2, 010, R10, PS-1
Oct 31, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #61 of 78
Ok, pardon my noobness, but what does balancing a pair of headphones do to the SQ ? Why balance them? Couldnt we just do the stax approach and have volume control knobs for the right and left respectively since the 1/4 plug has three contacts?

Oct 31, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #62 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
Ok, pardon my noobness, but what does balancing a pair of headphones do to the SQ ? Why balance them? Couldnt we just do the stax approach and have volume control knobs for the right and left respectively since the 1/4 plug has three contacts?

Read the thread in the amplifier section on the technical advantages of a balanced amplifier. It's a good thread and reading it will explain it pretty well (It's the best thread for content on the subject I've read).

Oct 31, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #63 of 78
Hirsch, Gpalmer>I have heard you two describe the balanced Rs-1's as something exceptional with the balanced SDS. I respect both of your opinions as I know both of you are not Rs-1 fanboys.

Do you think the same level of performance maybe obtainable with a balanced mpx3 or similar?

I have not had the chance to listen to any balanced amps let alone a balanced Rs-1.

I wasn't planning on buyin any more headphone equipment but I must admit I am very intrigued by the balanced Rs-1 option. I am not interested in balanced Ps-1's or 650's etc, my primary focus is only the Rs-1.

Looks like I need to hit RobN's house fast.
rs1smile.gif

Jpelg>Most of my setups are more based on warmth so they are more forgiving than the he90/007t combo. Even when I had the Qualia's I amped them via the melos and EMP a.e and i would hardly describe them the last word in detail and transparency amps.

I just find the he90/007t different to how I usually have headphone setups.

Oct 31, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #64 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer

Stax are balanced, btw.

Balanced headphones aren't really balanced, they just have an active negative channel per side, the shield isn't connected, and generally isn't even present, in most balanced headphones.

Oct 31, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #65 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Stax are balanced, btw.

Balanced headphones aren't really balanced, they just have an active negative channel per side, the shield isn't connected, and generally isn't even present, in most balanced headphones.

They have balanced inputs but I don't think they run in full balanced mode as they only have one connector to the amp. Although I think I might be wrong. Mind you I wonder what happened if you did split the omega 2's and he90's etc to run in full balanced mode?

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #66 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
They have balanced inputs but I don't think they run in full balanced mode as they only have one connector to the amp.

they are balanced headphones. four of the pins on the connector are used to carry a positive and negative signal to each of the stators, and the other pins are used to carry the bias voltage to them.

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #67 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
they are balanced headphones. four of the pins on the connector are used to carry a positive and negative signal to each of the stators, and the other pins are used to carry the bias voltage to them.

Really Alex? DOH! I have connected it up using only RCA's in a single ended configuration. I am off to Audio gon to get some balanced IC's then!!!

Thanks Alex

BTW how's the w10ltd hunt going?

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #68 of 78
the amp should power the cans properly no matter what signal it gets. if the input is RCA then it'll generate the inverse signals internally.

I'm losing interest in the ATH-W hunt.
tongue.gif
too much work.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #69 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
the amp should power the cans properly no matter what signal it gets. if the input is RCA then it'll generate the inverse signals internally.

I'm losing interest in the ATH-W hunt.
tongue.gif
too much work.
biggrin.gif

So does tha mean there is no difference sq wise betweeen Rca and balanced using the 007t to drive the he90's? damn I was thinking of trying the jena labs xlr cables.

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #71 of 78
Quote:

I wasn't planning on buyin any more headphone equipment but I must admit I am very intrigued by the balanced Rs-1 option. I am not interested in balanced Ps-1's or 650's etc, my primary focus is only the Rs-1.

If I'm reading your tastes correctly oh fuzz master, you really, really should. I think you'd absolutely love the groove with the right set of tubes. You're one of the people I think should probably run not walk to check it out!
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #72 of 78
Quote:

So does tha mean there is no difference sq wise betweeen Rca and balanced using the 007t to drive the he90's? damn I was thinking of trying the jena labs xlr cables.

there might be. quite a few people mention it being better when they use XLR inputs on their KGSS or Blue Hawaii versus the RCA inputs.

either I don't care or whatever the reason, but I don't seem to notice this. strange.
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #73 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Any interest in selling the W11JPNs?
icon10.gif

I'm still interested in the collecting part, just that the methods to obtain them seem to be quite the challenge.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #74 of 78
jjcha>I thought you weren't interested in the w11 jpn's? I knew you couldn't resist for long.

Gman>Well a balanced sds is pricey and I would seriously need to hear it first.
But I have followed comments you and hirsch made about balanced Rs-1's cos I know they are not your all time faves so you have a certain objectivity whereas if it was being made by one those Rs-1 fanboys then they would say the Rs-1's sounds the best EVAH! with or without the amp, Sometimes not even a source
rs1smile.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #75 of 78
Quote:

If I'm reading your tastes correctly, the Jena Labs cable should be right up your alley. It's not particularly detailed, and the image is not razor sharp. However, it's got a superb sense of warmth and tonality that makes it a really pleasant cable to use. That cable is about tone, not detail (and sounds great with 007t).

I'm going to have to do some comparative listening to RCA vs. XLR on the 007t. About the only time that I actually compared the two inputs, I was listening for cable differences (and wound up deciding I preferred the RCA cable, so the single-ended input sound quality can't be too bad).

The balanced RS-1 is also impressive with a balanced Supra. I haven't heard it with a balanced MPX-3 or PPX-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back