HE-6 Loaner Program
Oct 26, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #826 of 903

Quote:
To be clearer both are stock cable but the new stock cable is significantly better than the old stock cable.

Significantly might even be an understatement from the looks of it.  The prototype cable was pretty obviously just thrown on there as something temporary.  I would have been upset buying that cable from Radioshack for 5 dollars.  But the new cable looks pretty nice.  At least in the pictures.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #827 of 903
Just throwing this out, how do the production versions sound compared to say a JH13 or JH16? I keep being impressed with my cheapy little Meelectric M9 IEMs and am wondering about high end IEMs. Obviously these M9s have a lot of problems being they are only $20 items, but the bass and sense of space is something I never really experienced before. I had, ironically, higher end IEMs, the Q-Jays and was shocked how bad they were and also how uncomfortable they were, but these $20 M9s have made me reconsider.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #828 of 903

Quote:
Just throwing this out, how do the production versions sound compared to say a JH13 or JH16? I keep being impressed with my cheapy little Meelectric M9 IEMs and am wondering about high end IEMs. Obviously these M9s have a lot of problems being they are only $20 items, but the bass and sense of space is something I never really experienced before. I had, ironically, higher end IEMs, the Q-Jays and was shocked how bad they were and also how uncomfortable they were, but these $20 M9s have made me reconsider.

It's really like finding that perfect glove w/ just the right fit.  Can't really say "gloves just don't fit me."  
wink_face.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #829 of 903

Quote:

I would definitely put the production HE-6 at RMAF on the level of my JH13Pro and the demo JH16Pro that I heard at RMAF.

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #830 of 903
Thanks for twisting the knife, Larry!
tongue_smile.gif

I kind of figured that would be the answer, but wanted to be sure. Hmm... decisions, decisions.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #831 of 903

Quote:
Thanks for the answer. That's a very nice looking stock cable there. I look forward to some more impressions between production and the test unit.

Quote:
To be clearer both are stock cable but the new stock cable is significantly better than the old stock cable.

Quote:
  1. Upgraded magnetic structure in the drivers bringing the efficiency to about the same level as the HE-5 LE. You still need a good and strong headphone amplifier but you do no longer need an amplifier designed to drive speakers to get the best from an HE-6.
  2. New connection cable made from monocrystalline copper which sounds notably better and also turns out to be nicely flexible.
  3. New finish on the earcaps which now feature a dark metal-like paint job that looks very luxurious. The same is true for the caps covering the slider mechanism which now sport a silver colour product identifier.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #832 of 903
Hi guys/gals! I have done additional listening and ... 

1. I measured the output of both the prototype and the production units using a Radio Shack dB meter model 33-2055. The production HE6 is about 2-3 dB louder with the same song, amp, cables, and same volume setting.
2. Although I liked the sound of the HE6 prototype there was something that did not quite click with me. Now that I have listened to both side by side I know why. The prototype unit has a "veil like" presentation which is not in the production HE6.
3. The production HE6 has a crystal clear presentation, yet I hear no harshness nor any shrillness. Instead I hear a very smooth presentation that is very appealing and engaging, basically I want to continue listening and not put the production HE6 down.

I can only think of three other dynamic headphones that are in the same category, the AKG K1000, the Sony Qualia, and a MarkL modded Denon w/ his V4 wood cups. I realize many would be shocked at my inclusion of the Denons and that I have not included the Sennheiser HD800 nor the Sony R10. Well I prefer the first three and not the later two.

I have not listened to the LCD-2 so I can not comment on them. I have also not compared them w/ any of the Stax offerings choosing to keep the comparison with dynamic headphones. Cheers.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #835 of 903

Quote:
digger945 I just sent you a PM requesting your contact information so I can send you the prototype HE6 to review/comment. Cheers.

Sorry for not keeping up guys. I look forward to giving these a spin.

The amp used will probably be the Dynamite exclusively. Although I no longer have a balanced source in house, my amp is configured for active ground when using balanced out with unbalanced source (AMB switch), and sources will no doubt be the Gamma 2 and EAD 7k, both using the async Halide Bridge with a Lenovo laptop. I will try to compare the HE-6 to all of the headphones in my sig.

I'll post again when they arrive mrarroyo.

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #837 of 903

Quote:
Hi guys/gals! I have done additional listening and ... 

1. I measured the output of both the prototype and the production units using a Radio Shack dB meter model 33-2055. The production HE6 is about 2-3 dB louder with the same song, amp, cables, and same volume setting.
2. Although I liked the sound of the HE6 prototype there was something that did not quite click with me. Now that I have listened to both side by side I know why. The prototype unit has a "veil like" presentation which is not in the production HE6.
3. The production HE6 has a crystal clear presentation, yet I hear no harshness nor any shrillness. Instead I hear a very smooth presentation that is very appealing and engaging, basically I want to continue listening and not put the production HE6 down.

I can only think of three other dynamic headphones that are in the same category, the AKG K1000, the Sony Qualia, and a MarkL modded Denon w/ his V4 wood cups. I realize many would be shocked at my inclusion of the Denons and that I have not included the Sennheiser HD800 nor the Sony R10. Well I prefer the first three and not the later two.

I have not listened to the LCD-2 so I can not comment on them. I have also not compared them w/ any of the Stax offerings choosing to keep the comparison with dynamic headphones. Cheers.

That "veil-like" thing mostly went away with my 55-watt Yamaha receiver for me.  Then I felt they became extremely transparent with adequate power.  The production HE-6 sounded wonderful to me on the ZDT and EF5 at RMAF, without needing more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back