HE-5LE cable
Jan 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lyle

New Head-Fier
Hi All

I am looking for a replacement cable for a pair of HiFiman HE-5LE's, mine has been damaged, (input jack, not balanced), but have been hitting a brick wall in my search.  Can anyone help?  I have a spare set of connectors that were supplied with the headphones, but can make no sense out of the cable.  The red wire strands appear to go to the inner pin and the copper to the shield, but I am at a bit of a loss as to how to solder everything together, the original was molded in.  I can see no means by which to separate the two and my eyes are not what they used to be.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Lyle

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 3
Saw your thread and pulled out my multimeter to check my HE-500 cable. I think it may actually be the HE-6 cable, not sure. It's thin, light and braided. Anyways, it shouldn't matter as you seem to be more interest in the connection.

Input jack side/Headphone connection side.

Tip      >     L Center Pin
Ring    >     R Center Pin
Sleeve >    Outer connection sleeve on both L and R

Hope that helps, let me know if I can provide any other info.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply.  The original connector was molded in and I have cut it apart as much as possible.  There appears to be red stranded wires going to the center pin and copper stranded wires going to shield.  Both sets appear to be coming out of separate channels of the inner jacket insulation, but I am uncertain, (eyes are not what they used to be), there does not appear to be continuity between the two however, (it may be possible that the red coating is an insulator and the two simply run side by side).  The replacement connector comes with an outer ring and I am uncertain if it should be crimped, silicon-ed or soldered into place and then covered in heat shrink.  I suspect I can cut the insulation away from the cable on one side to expose the copper strands and solder to shield and then run the remainder in to the tube to the connector pin and the solder.  The problem will be that the center pin appears to have a plastic insulator around it and to apply enough heat to solder, I suspect the insulator will melt.  I have various irons but can anyone tell me what wattage would be appropriate, should the red strand be cleaned if this is an insulator and first tinned, prior to attempting to solder?  Also what is the best placement of the iron, on the pin or the stranded wire?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back