HE-500 Loaner Program
Sep 18, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #166 of 185
An update: I received the loaner pair from Philimon, listened to it for a while, then sent it on to Treal512 (who should receive it tomorrow). 

Is this the proper place for impressions? Not sure but I'll post a few anyway. The HE-500 has already been extensively reviewed so I'm not going to into much detail. Personally, I loved them. 

Comfort is subjective. I always prefer velours over leather, so the HiFiMan design is great in that aspect. Despite being a bit lighter than the LCD-2, HE-500 seemed to place more weight on the crown of my head rather than distributing it evenly, so it seemed subjectively heavier. Short term, both were great, but long term comfort goes to the LCD-2. 

Build quality was acceptable but not extravagant for the price. I did much prefer the HiFiMan storage box compared to the Audeze wooden case. The Audeze box looks nicer from a few feet away but upon close inspection doesn't impress. HiFiman is the opposite. I absolutely hated the stock cables on both models though, and would immediately upgrade to some aftermarket cables for that reason alone. 

I've heard some people say the HE-500 is too bright, and the LCD-2 (original) is perfect. Others say the HE-500 is just about right and the LCD-2 is too dark. My feelings are somewhere in the middle, just like Tyll Herstens mentions in this article. I've been going back and forth between the LCD-2 and HE-500 with no clear winner. Ultimately I think I would choose the LCD-2 if forced to have just one, but it is by a very slim margin. Realistically, my current home situation doesn't allow for much time spent listening to open headphones. If that were not the case I would absolutely buy both the models tomorrow.

I felt that the LCD-2 paired extremely well with the Violectric V200 amp, initially using the Anedio D1 DAC and later swapping in my newly received Violectric V800, both of which are similarly excellent. The HE-500 with V200 was a great match as well, but not my favorite. I ended up really loving the Analog Design Labs Svetlana 2 tube amp with the HE-500. Something about the magic mids produced by that single ended triode design made the HE-500 really sing. But like the LCD-2, the HE-500 is somewhat easy to drive. You might not get the best out of it but you can certainly get by with a Matrix M-Stage, Yulong A100, or other somewhat low priced amp. But with the Svetlana amp it becomes a world class performer, on par with some of the best I've ever heard.

The LCD-2/V200 combo sounds extremely natural to me. Probably closer to what music sounds like in real life. The HE-500/Svetlana combo gives a more optimistic view of things..... this is how I wish real life sounded. If I had about an hour or less to spend, the HE-500 setup is more engaging, and probably the one I would choose. For more long term listening the LCD-2 is more smooth and natural, and also less fatiguing. 

I could go on and on, but it has already been done by so many folks so why bother? The HE-500 is undeniably an excellent headphone all around. As soon as my home situation changes I'll buy one for myself, although I suspect that HiFiMan will move on to other models by then. Thanks again to Fang for making this loaner program possible.

Sep 18, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #167 of 185
Thanks for your sharing your impressions. It's funny, but The LCD-2 and the HE-500 are my favorite headphones. Some have said they are  almost alike. I think their quite different, and complement each other. I've kept both. 

Head-to-head: As can be seen, the HE-500 needs a larger scull than the American.

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #170 of 185
Sep 27, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #171 of 185

Quote:
Thanks for your sharing your impressions. It's funny, but The LCD-2 and the HE-500 are my favorite headphones. Some have said they are  almost alike. I think their quite different, and complement each other. I've kept both. 

Head-to-head: As can be seen, the HE-500 needs a larger scull than the American.

Lovely pic! My He-500 arrived this morning and the LCD2 should be arriving later this week, I'm keeping both as well.
EDIT: The HE-500 sounds really great, even after a few hours, but I could use a slightly bigger head :D

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #172 of 185

Quote:
I think treal is getting them, then me, then I'll send them to you. I think it goes back to Head-Direct after you.

Now where is the other pair? 

If I tracked the posts correctly, DMV915 sent the central US pair to mobayrasta and says it was delivered on the 25th (post #131 back on 5/28/11).

According to mobayrasta's profile he has not been online since 5/23/11. 

What to do ??

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #173 of 185
I just stacked 2-3 of these BLACK soft / filt floor protective 20mm (Ø) using the selfadhesive glue, and placed 4 stacks evenly distributed under the headband. Fixed. :)

Quote:
EDIT: The HE-500 sounds really great, even after a few hours, but I could use a slightly bigger head :D

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #174 of 185

Quote:
If I tracked the posts correctly, DMV915 sent the central US pair to mobayrasta and says it was delivered on the 25th (post #131 back on 5/28/11).

According to mobayrasta's profile he has not been online since 5/23/11. 

What to do ??

frown.gif
 That's certainly depressing. 

Oh, where in Wisconsin do you live? I want to see if I can just hand them off to you in person if possible to save on shipping and avoid any fears of them getting lost.

Oct 2, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #177 of 185

Quote:
How big a head is needed to fill the HE-500?

Why don't someone just measure from ear to ear (hole to hole) along the head or head band, then everyone could measure their heads? We could have it listed in our profile :)

I'm not gonna measure mine right now, but the HE-500 fit my head best, and are not as loose as the HE-5 LE or HE-6.  I think my hat size is around 7 1/8 or so.

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #178 of 185
Holy crap guys. I have had the 500's in my spare bedroom since they arrived. The day the came I ended up in the hospital. The box that Gorthon sent me has never even been opened. 

I had pancreas problems  it seems my family has some herreditary pancreas duct issues and ended up carrying around a bag to feed me for months. I am in the process of moving and found the box today. I immediately called customer service and am shipping them back to headdirect tomorrow. I feel like such an ASS. I am so sorry to the community. It was a total accident. I have been a member here for years . I have bought and sold many things and would never intentionally tarnish myself . I  would never want to hurt head-fi and it's community and that was never my intent. I am SO sorry about everything. I have just logged on to my my account for the first time since the illness that has changed my life.  I have a ton of PM's that I will be getting to, I am sure some of these are about the 500's. Again I am SO very sorry. I did not even remember that they had came. 

I beg for forgivness and if you can't I understand that also.

Chris

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #179 of 185
We kindly received extra sets so it didn't slow the trials much. Thank you mobayrasta for returning the headphones and to Head-Direct for continuing the program.

I hope you are adjusting well. And glad to see you back!

Phil

Nov 19, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #180 of 185
I have yet to recieve a pair of these to trial.  I'm not sure who sent them to you, but it was not me.

Quote:
Holy crap guys. I have had the 500's in my spare bedroom since they arrived. The day the came I ended up in the hospital. The box that Gorthon sent me has never even been opened. 

I had pancreas problems  it seems my family has some herreditary pancreas duct issues and ended up carrying around a bag to feed me for months. I am in the process of moving and found the box today. I immediately called customer service and am shipping them back to headdirect tomorrow. I feel like such an ASS. I am so sorry to the community. It was a total accident. I have been a member here for years . I have bought and sold many things and would never intentionally tarnish myself . I  would never want to hurt head-fi and it's community and that was never my intent. I am SO sorry about everything. I have just logged on to my my account for the first time since the illness that has changed my life.  I have a ton of PM's that I will be getting to, I am sure some of these are about the 500's. Again I am SO very sorry. I did not even remember that they had came. 

I beg for forgivness and if you can't I understand that also.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back