HE-500 Loaner Program
May 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #121 of 185
Just wanted to update:

After checking the sensitivity and adjusting the volume to a proper level, I must say I am very impressed. Seems to me that it is a fixed HE-6 in many ways... comfort is superb, build quality looks better even if the materials are arguably slightly inferior.

They remind me a lot of what I love in the LCD-2. The mids are extremely rich and the highs and lows have balanced volumes more or less... a very even sound. I do think there is a section in the highs that are scooped out a bit because a few songs sound markedly different on the HE-500, but not in a bad way. I will have more detailed comments and examples later on.

It is an excellent headphone that is for sure, and I think the sounstage is better than the HE-6 in the sense things seem to be better angled.

It surely will give the LCD-2 a run for its money at 899.99.

May 21, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #122 of 185

Quote:
Just wanted to update:

After checking the sensitivity and adjusting the volume to a proper level, I must say I am very impressed. Seems to me that it is a fixed HE-6 in many ways... comfort is superb, build quality looks better even if the materials are arguably slightly inferior.

They remind me a lot of what I love in the LCD-2. The mids are extremely rich and the highs and lows have balanced volumes more or less... a very even sound. I do think there is a section in the highs that are scooped out a bit because a few songs sound markedly different on the HE-500, but not in a bad way. I will have more detailed comments and examples later on.

It is an excellent headphone that is for sure, and I think the sounstage is better than the HE-6 in the sense things seem to be better angled.

It surely will give the LCD-2 a run for its money at 899.99.

I really can't wait to try these and directly compare them to my other ortho's .  Thanks for your first impressions. Can't wait for any more info you have.

Chris

May 25, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #125 of 185

Quote:
I'll be sending it out east once I get some personal information.

dmv915, this set has not yet made it around the central loop yet.  Neither Ishcabible or myself had a chance to get them.  Happy Camper sent them to you because Ishcabible was having some gear issue at the time.  You should check with him to see if he is ready for them.  If not, they should be sent my way.  There was suppose to be a sepearate pair to cover the east coast

May 26, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #127 of 185
I just received my HE500 loaner. Initial impressions are good. Played through the Woo WA6SE it has a richer tone so far over the HD800. The soundstage is obviously smaller than the Senn but it's not compressed and it's well organized. One thing I did notice is it still needs more juice compared to the 300Ohm HD800. I'll try the HE500 on the beta22 and the WA2 also to see how it fairs. More to come...

May 26, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #128 of 185
I was first on the West list, but apparently there is only one US loaner. Can I get a break - would the next US person please pm me and send them my way?

Please?

May 26, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #129 of 185
Quote:Originally Posted by budx3385 

"I was first on the West list, but apparently there is only one US loaner. Can I get a break - would the next US person please pm me and send them my way?
Please?"

There are two pair.

May 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #131 of 185
The pair I had has already been sent out to mobayrasta.  It was delivered on the 25th.  So just tell him to send it back your way, and it should be good.

Regarding the HE-500, I was thoroughly impressed. 

The quick and dirty: It is head and shoulders above the rest.

Most of my source music was FLAC with the occasional v0.  The music that I listen to is extremely varied.  It can consists of artists such as: kings of leon, kid cudi, local natives, jack's mannequin, and rilo kiley.  All in all these head phones definitely were subjected to a wide listening scope.

Comparing it to the Senn HD 600 the HE-500 has a lot more bass.  Not overpowering, but it surely had a presence that you could feel.  Although the bass was there it did not mask anything, clarity was on par.  This was probably the biggest selling point, and feature that it had over the 600's. 

The other great thing about these are the sound stage.  In my opinion the center sound stage on the HD 600 sounds like it is in your head as opposed to coming from the front.  In comparison the HE-500 center sound stage sounds much more natural, and not in your head.  I wouldn't necessarily say it was pinpoint but it was enjoyable.

Nonetheless, I feel confident in recommending this pair of headphones to anyone.  They sound great coming from a relatively cheap amp, and would surely sound better with a better setup.

Now if I could only sell my HD 600.

May 28, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #132 of 185
Dave,

Good to see you are still with us what with all that weather in your area. You're right about amping. The better the gear, the better they sound.

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #134 of 185
OK! I have been trying to send the HE500 along the line and I can't seem to find anyone. I've sent PMs and no takers. So here's what I'm going to do. The first person who sends me a PM with their name and address gets the HE500 loaner sent to them. Here's the condition:

- You must already be on the list

- You must be on the list for the East Coast.

If you're not already on the list from the first page of this thread and you're not from the East Coast I won't send them. Please hurry. I want to ship these out tomorrow. It will be shipped with a SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION so make sure it's shipped to a place that can take delivery.

Thanks guys!

Peace,

Ross Feinberg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back