HE-500 Balanced Cable from Canare Star Quad Cable
Aug 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

robrob

100+ Head-Fier
I made what turned out to be a pretty nice hybrid balanced cable for my HiFiMan HE-500 headphones using very high quality Canare L-4E6S Star Quad cable. The details of the build are here: http://robrobinette.com/HeadphoneMods.htm#HE-500 I say "hybrid" because the cable's star quad wrap and braided shield provide RFI protection to the earcup split, then the conductors are braided in a 4-wire round braid for 3 inches, then the conductor pairs are twisted to the earcup SMC connectors.

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 11
Nice work mate. I understand the Canare quad is popular but any reason for using it over the Mogami or Gothams? I know that for short distances capacitance is a non-issue but thought I might ask anyway....

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 11
Oh BTW please build me one also 
L3000.gif

(Is that a Model M keyboard?)

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 11
The Gotham mini quad is 26 AWG and the Canare is a beefy 21 plus I had the Canare Star Quad on hand. I have no experience with the Mogami.

The computer keyboard is just an old IBM unit.

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 11
Great idea having balanced 4 pin xlr as a termination - then add adapters to whatever amp you wish if you have multiple amps or want to switch later on...xlr>1/4" or xlr>bananas. Nice read.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 11
The Canare Star Quad cable would be a good choice if you wanted to remove all the coax cover and just use the 4 conductors in a braid--although it would be a pain to remove 10 feet of cover and shield. The 4 wires have a "twist memory" that makes them very easy to twist into pairs for the run to the earcups. Be sure and twist the wire counter-clockwise (when looking down at the wire). I initially twisted my blue wire clockwise and they wouldn't twist nice and tight like the white wires. The whites were twisted correctly and the blues went the opposite direction.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #10 of 11
A circuit's  'Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance' is not dependent on length only in a correctly designed transmission line system.
This only matters when the cable is a good fraction of a wave-length long.  Got any mile long audio cables?
Poorly  designed systems will have reflections, but at radio frequencies.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #11 of 11
I see... So not at standard audio frequencies. Of course material and diameter of the cable does come into play as well? 

Just getting into the DIY side of audio finally;getting sick of waiting for others to reply and quotes and paying more than what the product is worth. Although sometimes I can justify the price difference...well to my decreasing bank funds anyway.. Haha. 

Don't get me wrong all my experiences with guys in the audio business  have been great but I want to to do this for myself. So it's encouraging to see these sorts of threads. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back