HE-500 Amp Suggestion
Jun 3, 2013 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

christophhh

New Head-Fier
I dig my Bitfrost, but I'm not sure on the Neuhaus amp... I can crank it up to full volume with the HE-500s and while at a nice loud level, it could certainly go louder. I feel like its not pushing the actuality of the headphones. Sounds pretty damn good to me.. but I bet it can get much better. 

I've read around all the threads and it seems to be 50/50 that the Lyr is a great amp choice for the HE-500s.. I know it has more power than my current amp but I wonder if it will increase the quality significantly. I'd spend up to 1k on an amp for these phones

Current setup:

Schiit Bitfrost
Neuahus T-2 Amp

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 7
There are several lengthy threads concerning the 500s and amping experience. You really want to start another one? Look at the Emotiva speaker amp thread for the best value to performance. You will spend $200 or less and can buy yourself whatever you wish with the rest.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-please-post-your-impressions-proving-to-be-a-great-headphone-and-standing-the-test-of-time

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 7
Well, speaker amps have lots of power, but it also increase noise and distortion. 

A good (and properly designed) headphone amp will provide excellent performance and a quieter background. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Well, speaker amps have lots of power, but it also increase noise and distortion. 

A good (and properly designed) headphone amp will provide excellent performance and a quieter background. 

basshead.gif
can you prove your assertion?

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 7
In my short experience with speaker amps, I have found them to easily outperform headphone amplifiers in the same price. If you're running an orthodynamic headphone, I'd strongly consider a speaker amp over a headamp. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

basshead.gif
can you prove your assertion?

A couple of people have reported an audible noise floor on the HE-500 on Emotiva speaker amp thread when listening very loud and some are experimenting with resistors to fix it. YMMV depending on how loud you listen I guess.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 7
i actually run my emotiva with the he-500 and i actually do hear a slight fuzzy noise on the back ground on zero volume. Its connected from my computer to a maverick D2 dac to emotiva to my phones with speaker tap adaptors. Sounds great but it does bother me sometimes. not sure if its normal that i have such sound though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back