HE-400's and onkyo a-8500.. will it vibrate?!?!
Nov 26, 2012 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bigmac

New Head-Fier

Hi there,

For christmas me and my mum are going to buy my dad some he-400's

at the moment he has a bit of a dated stereo system in the loungeroom including an onkyo a8500 amp.

I'm curious if the phono out would likely be alright to power planar phones like the he-400's

Being from the 80's there isnt much info on the internet, but i'll include a picture of the specifications if found in a service manual.

I'll be honest I dont understand much of it. and the bits I do dont seem to relate to the phono out.

anyway, i just dont want to blow up the amp or the headphones dont really work.. even though they are supposed to be easy to drive planars im a bit doubtful.

any ideas??

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 5
alsoo hd-650's?.. cmon show me some love headfi..
sorry about the formating i edited it a bit and it went weird..
yes this is a bump.. and ill let it die if no one can answer 

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 5
The phono out won't drive a headphone. The headphone out jack will and what it sounds like will have to be checked. If you have some headphones already, have you tried it? Some are using the HE on the speaker taps but your amp is too powerful to do that without putting resistors in circuit to burn most of the wattage as heat. If interested, you can check the 400 and receiver threads to see what others are doing. FWIW, those two are a nice complimentary pair of headphones.

If there isn't a headphone jack, then a resistor network can take the power from the speaker output and drop It but may take some effort. Of course another option would be to get a decent headphone amp later and bring an output to it from the receiver.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 5
hey happy camper!..
Thanks heaps it does have a headphone jack, i assumed since it was labled with phono it related to that in the manual. its a 1/4 plug but yeah have no way of testing the output. I have only have triple fi-10's though. they are driven at comfortable levels at less than 1/4 volume if that helps.
I was thinking of trying a multimeter but since the output is so varied I'm not sure how i would actually measure it.
Is there any standard for phones out?

and wiring it up to a speaker out was acutally something I had thought of and while i could probably calculate the resistance necessary to drop the power i wouldnt know anything further than soldering some resistors in series or parallel to make up the number and even then I'm not too confident id be picking the right ones for heat dissapation.
after that I imagine there would be issues with background noise comming from such a high output?

unfortunatly an amp would be way too much money after the 400's my dad would likely yell at me more than thank me.

thanks! and thanks for the info :)

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 5
For the price of the HE-400s, you could get some used Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm and a much newer (but still used) A/V receiver.
What source(s) do you plug into the Onkyo now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back