HE-400 Planar Driver Headphones Pre-order
Dec 23, 2011 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Nankai

Sponsor: HiFiMAN

Update:  We have shipped orders paid before Jan 10. Because of Chinese new year holiday, we will ship rest headphones at the second or third week of Feb 2012. 

Purchase Link:
http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=115

At the upcoming CES in Las Vegas in January, HiFiMAN will be introducing an exciting new planar magnetic model, HE-400.
Until CES close on January 13, we are offering HE-400 at special pre-order pricing of $349.  Save $50 by ordering by Monday January 13. We will do shipping on Jan 15th, 2012.

What makes HE-400 special is:

1)      it is 92.5DB efficient so it can be driven by virtually anything including an iPod.
2)      It has the familiar HiFiMAN sonic signature which means it is very detailed yet warm
3)      It is only $399 MSRP. We price it at such a price because we finally figure out a way to mass produce hi-end sound quality planar driver headphones in a much easier way than before. 

Spec

Sensitivity: 92.5 DB
Impedance: 35 Ohm
Weight: about 440 gram or 14.5 Oz
Frequency response: 20Hz to 35 KHz

Accessories
OFC copper headphone cable (3 meter or 10 Feet)

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Dec 23, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 18
Subscribed

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 18
Oh wow, I was just thinking of swapping my 'Sones for a HE-4. I will be watching this thread.
Are those leather or pleather pads I wonder.

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
wow looks interesting! wonder how it compares to the he500

This is the crux of the biscuit, isn't it?   Will these be similar to the HE500 or the HE300?  If the former, it should be a winner -- if more like the latter, fugetaboutit.

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #8 of 18
What's the difference between the HE400 and the HE500? Loving the blue tint btw. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #11 of 18
Save $50 by ordering by Monday January 13.

That's Friday by my calendar

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #12 of 18
I think I wanna order a pair.  There seems to be some discussion that although the product write up says these need no amplification due to their low impedance (not actually that low at like 93dB ish).  I don't have a headphone amp, so I wonder if an inexpensive Fiio E7 would do the trick? Or would that be a waste? 

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
I think I wanna order a pair.  There seems to be some discussion that although the product write up says these need no amplification due to their low impedance (not actually that low at like 93dB ish).  I don't have a headphone amp, so I wonder if an inexpensive Fiio E7 would do the trick? Or would that be a waste? 

It really depends on the source, how loud you listen, and what you listen to.  You might be able to get by without an amp if you listen to pop/rock/metal mixed without much dynamic range.  If you want to listen to well mastered classical at live levels you'll probably need an amp.

The E7 probably isn't the best choice to use with a portable player since its analog input doesn't have much gain.

Unless you budget precludes you from buying an amp if you turn out to need one you may want to order the 'phones first and see how they do with the gear you already have.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #14 of 18
I just pre-ordered a pair. Never had a planar magnetic headphone before, from the specs they look to couple nicely with my iPod/Arrow combo. Can't wait for them to arrive!

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 18
Hmm yes, I didn't realize that about the E7.  I'll use them with my NAD home amp which I think will do fine, and I also wish to use them with my iPod occasionally.I've just heard so many wonderful things about these planar magnetics;  I want them, I'm gonna Getem!  Thanks for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back