HE-400 have let me down, what happened?
Jun 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #91 of 144
I recommend either Mad Dogs or the newish Denon AH-D600.  MDs have a 15 day return policy and you can get the Denons lots of places that allow returns.  I know that there is a lot of bitterness on Head-Fi over the move from D2000 to D600, but I actually prefer the D600s. They are not as V shaped as the D200s, but I prefer that to the piercing highs.

AH-D600 is highly underrated IMO.....outstanding with Bifrost/Lyr even though not needed.
Good sub bass......burn em for 100 hours and watch them shine.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #92 of 144
To me the AH-D600 were some of the worst headphones I've heard for the money... the only headphones I've ever returned in my life.  I returned them because they were way too bass heavy so they may fit the bill for your needs.  You can audition them at Best Buy Magnolia stores.  For me, my new closed can which I'm very pleased with is the SoundMagic HP100.  No recessed portions across the range for me but still with a very capable bottom.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #93 of 144
I like the AH-D600, better than the D2000. I think they might not have quite enough bass thump for the OP, however. I also like the DT700s, but they can run a bit bright at the top end.

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #95 of 144
Quote:
Are you saying the 600s nor the d2000s have enough? Im about to get the m100s

Here's a graph comparing those three:

graphCompare.php

From the graph you can see that the M-100 has the highest bass response of the three.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #97 of 144
Quote:
I wonder why the D600 have so many bad reviews when the FR looks just right.

FR is only the surface of the matter. More telling measurements would be square waves, THD, and cumulative spectral decay waterfall plots.

I don't think D600s have CSDs measured, but Tyll did measure their FR / THD / square waves among other things (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD600.pdf) and they look pretty nasty in THD, and fairly coloured based on the square waves.

The only somewhat commendable thing is that it seems to have decent sub-bass extension (30 Hz square wave top stays flat), however even then it is heavily distorted (almost 10% of its sub-bass is pure distortion as shown by THD).

As a reference, here are some headphones that measure better (HE500 http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE500.pdf / LCD2 http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf  / SR009 http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR009.pdf  / Denon D7000 http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD7000B2012.pdf), note the recurring theme: significantly lower THD, much more behaved and chiseled square waves. Those are the hallmarks of clean, transparent sound. FR just tells about the tonal balance and extension, not much more.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #98 of 144
What is the problem with the D600 then? Bad treble?

Tempted to try them because I liked the D2000 and the D600 look nice for £200... At the moment I have 3 other pairs on test so if they are just poor then maybe I won't bother with them. At the moment I have Momentum, UE6000 and M-100 on test...

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #99 of 144
Quote:
What is the problem with the D600 then? Bad treble?

Tempted to try them because I liked the D2000 and the D600 look nice for £200... At the moment I have 3 other pairs on test so if they are just poor then maybe I won't bother with them. At the moment I have Momentum, UE6000 and M-100 on test...

Globally high total harmonic distortion means they will sound low-fi and opaque, to put it bluntly.

Whether or not the treble is bad I can't quite judge just from Tyll's measurements. It'd be much easier to spot via a CSD measurement.

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #101 of 144
Quote:
Have you actually heard them?

Nope. Doesn't make the measurements any less credible though.

Look, if you don't know much about measurements, then ignore my inferences all you want and trust your ears. I don't oppose that, in fact there are tons of nuances in sound we perceive that current-gen measurements can't pick up reliably. It's just that when certain things are blatantly off (e.g. extremely high THDs) then it's hard to avoid the implications, as long as you trust the measurement.

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #103 of 144
Quote:
Nope. Doesn't make the measurements any less credible though.

Look, if you don't know much about measurements, then ignore my inferences all you want and trust your ears. I don't oppose that, in fact there are tons of nuances in sound we perceive that current-gen measurements can't pick up reliably. It's just that when certain things are blatantly off (e.g. extremely high THDs) then it's hard to avoid the implications, as long as you trust the measurement.

Ya I agree with what your saying as far as trusting ears and not measurements. I have listened to critical listeners for a while now and it has lead me in a very bad direction, very far from what I wanted. 

Trust your ears, and base your decisions as much as you can on general consensus (while taking into account what they are comparing them to and their past experience with headphones) and not graphs. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #104 of 144
Learn something new everyday. Thanks for explaining the graph. helped explained things I didnt know about. I always told myself to look it up one day, but looking at those graph and reading in the science forum is too much like school, people goes into it too deep. :p I like short and straight forward info.

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #105 of 144
Yeh a combination of FR graphs, distortion, square waves, etc. As well as general consensus from people (make sure you check what they are comparing to and headphone experience) and you can get a pretty good idea before buying something. Blindly buying stuff and relisting on ebay does actually get quite expensive... If you buy something and then resell it a few weeks later at a loss of 20% or something and do this a lot of times you end up wasting quite a lot of money so it is good to get an idea first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back