HE-400 causing ear fatigue..
Feb 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jeffxx

New Head-Fier
I have had my HE-400s for about a month now and I'm experiencing fatigue and slight ringing that I have never dealt with before.  I've used K702, Pro 900, DT 770 and never had these issues.

I'm guessing it is an issue with the treble on these?  I'm thinking the most logical solution is to sell these and pick up a different pair. Is the LCD-2 more subtle in the treble?  I really enjoyed the planar sound so I think the LCD-2 would be good for me.

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 17
You might have the he400 r3, which is them trying to solve some issues the 2nd time. They have recalled these from retailers as they are too bright and fatiguing. They have a light brown color driver I believe. Hope this is your issue.

Read this thread on the original poster blue writing last paragraph:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
So, they're on R4 now correct? What color drivers does it have (wasn't mentioned in the linked post).

From what I gathered after reading the link, it sounded like they just recalled R3 and went back to R2.  I didn't see anything about a 4th revision yet.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong though :xf_eek:

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
Oh alright. Thanks for the clarification.

Got one on it's way.

Ditto!  Should be getting shipped tomorrow, as well as a Magni.  This is my first tentative step into the world of planar magnetics and open HPs; I'm eager to see how it turns out.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #10 of 17
For everyone's interest, here is the HE400 lineage (topmost = more recent revisions).

Post-defect rev2 drivers (what all people who buy new HE400s should have received) clear translucent white:

Problematic "rev 3" drivers (no longer avail) - opaque yellow:

Pre-defect rev2 drivers (no longer avail) - opaque pearl white

revision 1 drivers (no longer avail) - black:

Preproduction rev 0 prototype drivers (no longer avail) - silver:

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
I have the new ones. I guess I shouldn't be having this issue with them then.

Yeah, so stop it.
biggrin.gif

You could always try toning down the treble(~9kHz) with an EQ and see if that helps.

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #14 of 17
I had the same issues with these headphones fatigue and ringing at low volume levels.  It could be that I had an r3 (I do not know which version I had)  as it has been several months since I purchased my pair, but you are not the only person who has experienced this issue.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back