HE-400 and HE-500 portable Amp/Dac recommendation.
Sep 24, 2013 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

polasun

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,I'm kind of newbie here
JUst want to ask if there is any portable amp/dac with almost desktop grade sound quality as
I always go around the house and don't really like to stay in one place,and I always travel abroad so I might as well stick in one rig.

I heard the HIFI M8 is good as you have the control with your sound.
Will the sound be better with HE-400 and HIFI M8 as a combo or HE-500.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 13
I havent heard either out of the HiFi M8 but have tested the M8 out on other phones and its a great amp/DAC...

The 400 is MUCH easier to drive than the 500 so you will get a lot more volume from the 400,but personally im not a huge fan of either can...theyre not very comfortable and in that price range I prefer the HD600,HD650,Mad Dogs,DT990 and KEF500s more than the HiFi Man offerings.

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 13
as I said,I much prefer any of the headphones I listed more than the HiFiMan's...I find them too uncomfortable and the sound isnt neutral.which is what I prefer...but thats subjective,You may love the 400/500s...its all personal preference.
dont get me wrong theres a lot of members here who love their HiFiMans..im just not one of them

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #6 of 13
In terms of your question about the hifiman he400 vs sennheiser hd 650 I would refer you to the excellent review thread of the same name by MattTCG. I have the excellent HE 400 and they can be driven by my galaxy s3 or iPhones without any issues.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 13
  as I said,I much prefer any of the headphones I listed more than the HiFiMan's...I find them too uncomfortable and the sound isnt neutral.which is what I prefer...but thats subjective,You may love the 400/500s...its all personal preference.
dont get me wrong theres a lot of members here who love their HiFiMans..im just not one of them

I understand that. People usually don't have the same taste. One of the reason I would get the Hifiman is because I'm currently in China,so I might as well grab their cans to try them out.
The weight of the headphone is not really an issue for me,so probably I will have no problem putting them on, but of course by then I will have my own perspective towards them. 

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #9 of 13
In terms of your question about the hifiman he400 vs sennheiser hd 650 I would refer you to the excellent review thread of the same name by MattTCG. I have the excellent HE 400 and they can be driven by my galaxy s3 or iPhones without any issues.

Anyway, do you know how hard is the HE-500 to drive compared to HD650 ?

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 13

Anyway, do you know how hard is the HE-500 to drive compared to HD650 ?

The ALO International drove the HD650 much better than the 500....way more volume headroom....
The Sony PHA1 couldnt drive either....

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 13
  Does it sound better than the 500. How is the soundstage like and mids as well.
I would probably get the hd650

I didnt give the 500 much hearing time,once I had the volume jacked up to 100% and it was still not enough volume I took them off and moved on.I have yet to hear a portable amp make the 500 loud and proud,which isnt to say there isnt one but I havent heard it,

I have a problem with headphones that require amps that cost more than the cans themselves to sound good.

I dont recall the soundstage on the 650 being mindblowing,but it wasnt bad either.Soundstage is one of my fav aspects of HPs

Mids on the 650 are great,as are the 600s too...the 650 has a little more bottom end than the 600,but im not sure I actually prefer it over the 600...but both are amongst my fav cans.

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #13 of 13
  I didnt give the 500 much hearing time,once I had the volume jacked up to 100% and it was still not enough volume I took them off and moved on.I have yet to hear a portable amp make the 500 loud and proud,which isnt to say there isnt one but I havent heard it,

I have a problem with headphones that require amps that cost more than the cans themselves to sound good.

I dont recall the soundstage on the 650 being mindblowing,but it wasnt bad either.Soundstage is one of my fav aspects of HPs

Mids on the 650 are great,as are the 600s too...the 650 has a little more bottom end than the 600,but im not sure I actually prefer it over the 600...but both are amongst my fav cans.

thanks,but after looking at other threads about He-500. I'm kind of persuaded to lean against He-500. As you said about the loudness of the He-500 with simple amp, I might get the He-400 for it is easy to drive. 650s has a really high praise as well, but I'm a little tight in budget on amp but will probably get 650 in the future.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back