HE-300 against HD600/598 for versatile listening
Mar 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DarkSleip

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I'm thinking of getting my dad new headphones, since his Beats Pro got stolen (he didn't know better, but he does like good sound). He is a bit older (40~) so he somewhat likes U-shaped signatures. He listens to nearly any music style, with a slight emphasis on rock and strayment from classical. We have a nice speaker rig, and he only uses a laptop as computer; so no desktop rigs for him. Other suggestions?

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 4

I didn't like the HE300 when I heard it at a recent meet.

The 598 is probably the best option out of those 3 considering though. I consider the 598 the best headphone under 250 USD for an all rounder.

There are a few problems with the HD 600. First of which being that it's harder to drive than the 598 by a long shot so if he goes straight from a laptop it won't sound as good (relative) to the 598. Some also consider it boring because it's fairly neutral.

Quote:
Hello, I'm thinking of getting my dad new headphones, since his Beats Pro got stolen (he didn't know better, but he does like good sound). He is a bit older (40~) so he somewhat likes U-shaped signatures. He listens to nearly any music style, with a slight emphasis on rock and strayment from classical. We have a nice speaker rig, and he only uses a laptop as computer; so no desktop rigs for him. Other suggestions?

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 4
Mainly soundstage and comfort. The 598 has amazing soundstage and are definitely a step above the HE300. 

The HE300's bass doesn't match up either, IMO. Neither are bass monsters though.

Quote:
And why would you say the 598 are better? Soundstage? Detail? Sound signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back