HE 1000 vs. LCD 4
Oct 8, 2015 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

HiAudio

100+ Head-Fier
Has anybody listened both and made some comparison?  On paper and over ears.

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 31
Too soon.  There's one guy in the LCD-4 thread making comparisons between these two and many other headphones, but his impressions are unlike those of almost everyone else.

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 31
These headphones are becoming ridiculous expensive and very close to the price of the lower end of top tier speakers.

At that price you might just buy PSB Imagine T3, or Klipsch Palladium series etc, way better than the headphones, just an idea. IMO only.

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 31
I heard both of these at RMAF and at a local head-fi meet (the usual caveat about bad listening conditions applies). I prefer the HE1000, both sound and confort-wise. Neither of them could convince me to ditch my HD800, value-wise still the best high-end phone one can get IMO.

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 31
I purchased both the HE1000 and the LCD-4, just waiting for delivery. The LCD-4 will be here Wednesday. I don't have a tracking number for the HE1000 yet but, it should be here before the end of the week. After I have some time to brake them in a bit I will post some comparisons.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 31
  I purchased both the HE1000 and the LCD-4, just waiting for delivery. The LCD-4 will be here Wednesday. I don't have a tracking number for the HE1000 yet but, it should be here before the end of the week. After I have some time to brake them in a bit I will post some comparisons.

Hi - really keen to hear your views on how these two headphones compare ! 

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 31
I am still working on a summery comparing the two models. Both headphones have now had more time to brake in and the differences are becoming clearer.

I did preveously post the following on the LCD-4 thread:

Update: LCD-4 vs HE1000

I found a few surprises I thought I would share. At first I was surprised just how similar both these headphones sounded (or could sound). I found the LCD-4 needed more power then previous models to open up and shine. Audeze did make it clear to me that the LCD-4 requires more power then the LCD-3 (to get the best out of them). Now the surprise was the change when using the HE1000 with less power. They became thin up top and muddy in the mids & bottom. These cans clearly require more power to sound good. Where as the LCD-4 benefits from more power if you want to get the best out of them. To clarify, you can still enjoy the LCD-4 with less power, where as the HE1000 becomes much less enjoyable. As in I do not want to listen to them unless I have an amp with a lot of power available to drive them. 

Even though the HE1000 is 35 ohm and the LCD-4 is 100 ohm the Audeze's are clearly more efficient. Those powerful magnets in the LCD-4 must be the reason for this. The HE1000 seems reminiscent of the HE6 needing some serous power to perform. I believe the HE1000 are still a lot more efficient then the HE6 was but, the LCD-4 is clearly much more efficient of the two. 

Both of my headphones are still braking in and I'm hearing some changes along the way. I will wait and see if I can confirm this conclusion next week when I have more burn-in time on each (I have both plugged in 24/7 playing music at a low to medium volume level). 

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 31
I am still working on a summery comparing the two models. Both headphones have now had more time to brake in and the differences are becoming clearer.

I found a few surprises I thought I would share. At first I was surprised just how similar both these headphones sounded (or could sound). I found the LCD-4 needed more power then previous models to open up and shine. Audeze did make it clear to me that the LCD-4 requires more power then the LCD-3 (to get the best out of them). Now the surprise was the change when using the HE1000 with less power. They became thin up top and muddy in the mids & bottom. These cans clearly require more power to sound good. Where as the LCD-4 benefits from more power if you want to get the best out of them. To clarify, you can still enjoy the LCD-4 with less power, where as the HE1000 becomes much less enjoyable. As in I do not want to listen to them unless I have an amp with a lot of power available to drive them. 

Even though the HE1000 is 35 ohm and the LCD-4 is 100 ohm the Audeze's are clearly more efficient. Those powerful magnets in the LCD-4 must be the reason for this. The HE1000 seems reminiscent of the HE6 needing some serous power to perform. I believe the HE1000 are still a lot more efficient then the HE6 was but, the LCD-4 is clearly much more efficient of the two. 

Both of my headphones are still braking in and I'm hearing some changes along the way. I will wait and see if I can confirm this conclusion next week when I have more burn-in time on each (I have both plugged in 24/7 playing music at a low to medium volume level). 

The reason the LCD-4s are indeed more efficient, they are rated at 100 dB / mW; whereas the HE1000s are rated at 10 dB/mW lower (90 dB/mW). The impedance really doesn't control efficiency, but rather damping factor for your amp selection. But as these are both orthos, damping factors are no where as important as with traditional moving coil dynamic headphones.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 31

Nice review, cant wait for updates.

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #12 of 31
  Nice review, cant wait for updates.

Ya nice review indeed, with that kind of money, should invest in speakers, PSB T3 or SVS Ultras. (just saying nothing more, if you didn't hear any speakers yet).
I have the entry level Martin Logan Motions and it's superior than HD800/TH900/HE6 in terms of sound quality, with 4 sets of Dynamo 1500 it's no contest IMO. :) 

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #14 of 31
maybe he1000 is not better than he6

They are different, but the HE1000 is better in many ways, namely detail, sound stage, and imaging.  I don't want to comment much on other attributes since the HE-6 I listened to wasn't properly amped (and I still liked it more than every other non-electrostat except maybe the HE1000 which I've listened to at a different time).

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 31
maybe he1000 is not better than he6

It is...no doubt to my ears. I've owned the HE-6s for a few years and tried them on speaker amps from Krell to McIntosh, but they have been surpassed by the HE1000s...game, set, match. In fact, the HE1000s are right there with the LCD-4s and SR-009s as the best headphones I've heard. The HE-6s simply can't keep pace with these three IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back