Hdd player with line out, lossless support, good sq?
Jan 21, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 36
iPods, X5's, Q5, Archos 605 with battery dock... There are more, but not that many I can think of this early.

Jan 21, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 36
Those Cowons, Archos' have too many bells and whistles. I don't really need wi-fi, recorders, cams....anything. Just music player. Are there any options besides ipods?

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those Cowons, Archos' have too many bells and whistles. I don't really need wi-fi, recorders, cams....anything. Just music player. Are there any options besides ipods?

Sony NW-HD5. A bit older but simple and effective for mp3. No bells or whistles but excellent line out and quite good headphone out. Only 20gb though (a rarer 30gb version recently sold here but that really bumps the price up IMHO).

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 36
Creative Zen Vision: M had a very clean line-out. Good UI too.

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 36
I'd also strongly recommend the HD-5. If you're looking for simplicity and excellent sound quality (both via line out and headphone), this is your player. The use of Sonicstage seems to be the only perceived downside to the HD-5, but it's not as near as bad as people make it seem. Also very small and ridiculously durable. I've owned two, and will most likely buy a third once this one dies.

By the way, I've read that it's not difficult to replace the stock hard drive with an 80gb one.

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 36
I recommend not to get the HD5 as IMO sonicstage ruins the whole thing. It's so hard to set everything up to do what you want and if your not careful it ends up converting your whole music collection into Atrac3.

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 36
The old HDD Irivers (H1XX and H3XX) have line in and out. They were produced in a 20 and a 40GB models. Their sound quality are really good. The H1XX even has optical in and out. Might check them once they can still be found used ...

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #11 of 36
Is there a reason you don't want to use an iMod?

I think the NW-HDx are generally overlooked. They're really sleek, and the SQ is certainly not lacking. All software is different, and personally I don't think it's too difficult to manage SonicStage. If you don't want to convert it to ATRAC (with the stupid DRM thing), you can still use MP3.

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend not to get the HD5 as IMO sonicstage ruins the whole thing. It's so hard to set everything up to do what you want and if your not careful it ends up converting your whole music collection into Atrac3.

I agree Sonicstage is a pain. Use the alternative - MP3 File Manager. Simple, easy, drag 'n drop.

Quote:

The only question is, where to find this 80gb replacement.

Yes, where? What make/model, please?

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

No need for huge hdd's, ~30gb or so is ok.

i have that same question. so im in the process of purchasing a iriver h1 series with it's optical in and out solution. it's small in stature. records in wave or mp3 format and is easily upgradeable the hd and or battery. i plan on getting the ih-120 series for about a 100 bucks. i think it's a steal for that price. it's easily customizable as well through rockbox. it's pretty much plug and play with every computer, so no additional software required. thank goodness. i am currently using the creative zen and recording through the mic. i think it's time to step up. i would love to purchase a Sony but i hate having to use bundled software (most of the time it's crap anyways!) hope this helps
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by genax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have that same question. so im in the process of purchasing a iriver h1 series with it's optical in and out solution. it's small in stature. records in wave or mp3 format and is easily upgradeable the hd and or battery. i plan on getting the ih-120 series for about a 100 bucks. i think it's a steal for that price. it's easily customizable as well through rockbox. it's pretty much plug and play with every computer, so no additional software required. thank goodness. i am currently using the creative zen and recording through the mic. i think it's time to step up. i would love to purchase a Sony but i hate having to use bundled software (most of the time it's crap anyways!) hope this helps
biggrin.gif

I did want one of those ih-120's at one point but they are very expensive when they do come up... Where are you getting one for $100?

The latest Sony's work without extra software too which is good. But the older ones are still tied to that Sonicstage crap.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by genax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i plan on getting the ih-120 series for about a 100 bucks. i think it's a steal for that price.

The iRiver ih-1XX series are indeed more versatile, though their headphone out leaves a lot to be desired. They are brilliant with an amp, both optically and line out. However they are bigger and less indestructable than the Sony NW-HD5...but they DO have far more codec options due to Rockbox.

I use iRiver H120/140 for transportable and Sony NW-HD5 for ultraportable (fits in pocket, even with an amp
wink.gif
).

ih-120 (in good condition) for 100 bucks is a real bargain. If there's more than one at that price please get me one and PM me to organise delivery and payment to you.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back