HDCD list
Jul 19, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #121 of 597
i just ordered dave brubeck - time out cd...

i hope its hdcd or someone will have to pay for it, hehe...

anyway, but that record is from many many years ago... how can they make it sound good ?

Jul 19, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #122 of 597
Dorian's "Music from the Odhecaton"...

It is music from the late 1400s in honor of the 500th anniversary of the first mass produced printed music published in 1501. Dorain Cat. xCD-90301. It has the HDCD logo on the back of the packaging.

Jul 19, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #123 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
i just ordered dave brubeck - time out cd...

i hope its hdcd or someone will have to pay for it, hehe...

anyway, but that record is from many many years ago... how can they make it sound good ?

Don't worry, it does
smily_headphones1.gif

The technology to make a good recording has been around for quite some time. With careful work, you can get a clean, hiss-free remaster of a well-recorded album.

Jul 23, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #125 of 597
Hong Kong Warner Music

George Lam - Live Contact Lam 2001
George Lam - Love Fever*
George Lam - Thousands of Nights*
George Lam - Creation Collection*
George Lam - Music & Video 16 Golden Songs*
George Lam - Lam XIII*
George Lam - Flower Street No. 70*

George Lam and Sally Yeh - The Best of*
George Lam and Sally Yeh - Our Fate*

Sally Yeh - Blessing*
Sally Yeh - 00:10*
Sally Yeh - III*
Sally Yeh - I*
Sally Yeh - To Concern*
Sally Yeh - Sweet Honey Words*
Sally Yeh - The Best of*

Unforgetable You (Tribute To Sam Hui) - Various Artists*

Beyond - Continued Revolution*
Beyond - Non-stop Spirit Special*
Beyond - Rock and Roll*

Danny Chan - Break Through Collection*
Danny Chan - Listening*
Danny Chan - Inclined To Love You*

*all titles are marked as HDCD on their slipcases and were part of a massive reissue program by HK Warner Music from 1999 or so. Almost all of these titles are now out-of-print. However, most of these titles have also been just remastered using DSD. Here's a scan of the slipcover to George Lam's HDCD-encoded "Love Fever"....note logo of HDCD on the front

lovefever.jpg

Sony Music Taiwan

Harlem Yu - Ha-llywood

Sony Music Hong Kong

Love Journey - Various Artists

Above titles are all marked "HDCD". I have to look through my entire Cantopop now....

Jul 23, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #126 of 597
I don't see this title listed at HDCD.com (maybe I missed it)....River of Sorrow, Immortal Chinese Instrumentals on First Impression Music. I think it's available as a standard CD encoded in HDCD, but the the CD layer of the stereo hybrid SACD is HDCD-encoded. However, the disc itself is marked as HDCD-encoded on the label side, but not the packaging.

26.jpg

Also, in 2002, Hong Kong EMI reissued all 10 of its Roman Tam albums remastered in HDCD. All are marked as HDCD-encoded on the discs and on the packaging....here's a scan to the back cover of the album "Best Songs For You"

hdcd.jpg

Best Songs For You
The Famous Sword
Soundtrack to the TV serial "Legend of the Condor Hero"
My Choices - New Songs + Best of
To Hope For Love
Qin Qing
On Stage
A Mid Summer Night
Best of TV Themes
Flower

Jul 25, 2004 at 12:55 PM Post #127 of 597
All the Grateful Dead studio and live albums originally released on Rhino/Warner (i.e. those from about '67 to '75 and included in the Golden Road boxset) have been remastered and rereleased in HDCD.

The Grateful Dead (67)
Anthem of the Sun (68)
Aoxomoxoa (69)
Live/Dead (69)
Workingman's Dead (70)
American Beauty (70)
Skull**** (71)
Europe 72 (72)
History of the GD, Vol. 1 (73)

All are marked as HDCD, too. (Also, many Dick's Picks are HDCD, as mentioned earlier).

Jul 25, 2004 at 1:22 PM Post #128 of 597
i got my dave brubeck, it doesnt say HDCD anywhere (cover or CD), but its HDCD when you play it.

and i just found out that there are 2 versions of that tracy chapman, one with HDCD and one without, they both look identical only the HDCD symbol on the back cover, so be careful and dont repeat my mistake..

Jul 25, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #130 of 597
Hmm, Electronica, Rap, and Opera all have pretty slim lists. Anybody out there interested know of anything else in these genres?

Jul 26, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #131 of 597
Dredg - el cielo (SACD/HDCD hybrid) rock/indie
Covenant - Northern Light (synth rock)
The Tragically Hip - In Violet Light

No labelling as such so all = *

Jul 27, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #132 of 597
i could spend a good amount of time at work just writing down CD titles that have HDCD on them (and this would up the counts in many categories -- even, surprisingly, rap), but i've found that just cuz they say that doesn't mean that they're encoded. so.........should we be including these CDs in the list (labeled but not HDCD)?

besides that, in my own collection (i've been slowly going through all of my CDs -- well, everything made after 1996) i've found that some CDs have just one or 2 songs that are HDCD. i'm already guilty of listing a couple of these CDs, but should i/we continue? is it worth listing if there are only a couple of songs in HDCD? and if so, should we start giving song titles or track numbers ...or what?

Jul 28, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #133 of 597
I would say that if there are individual tracks that are HDCD encoded, it's worth posting as a comment, though I probably wouldn't add it to the main list. But someone might still find it useful, especially if it's an artist, producer, or label that's got a track record of HDCD recordings.

Do people generally come across a lot of HDCD-labelled albums that aren't HDCD? (I haven't come across any myself.) If there's more than a couple out there, I'll start a seperate list for that as well.

Jul 28, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #135 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
i just found out that there are 2 versions of that tracy chapman, one with HDCD and one without, they both look identical only the HDCD symbol on the back cover, so be careful and dont repeat my mistake..

It occurs to me that this is an opportunity for someone to do a comparison between an HDCD and non-HDCD recording of the same material. Does anyone have access to both versions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back