HDCD list
Apr 23, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #241 of 597
Haven't seen it on the other lists, but Switchfoot: Learning to Breath is also an HDCD, labelled on the case.

Sure would be nice if these artists would stick HDCD through into their best albums, and not just at random.
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #242 of 597
Just found another:
The Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies
Konk records release, 1998 remaster

May 10, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #243 of 597
Maybe we should start a thread like this for dualdiscs. It would be very useful to have a list that one could look at so guesswork is not needed when looking for high-res dualdiscs. The list could state weather the dvd-side is high-resolution stereo and/or surround, along with the sampling rate and bit depth. I know I have been searching high and low for a list like this. If anyone thinks this is a good idea I'll start a new thread listing the dualdiscs I have along with their contents, to which other people can add to. If anyone is interested, I'll start one.

May 23, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #244 of 597
For the list:

Sam Bush & David Grisman, Hold On, We're Strummin' (HDCD marked)

Crosby, Stills & Nash, Greatest Hits (HDCD not marked)

May 25, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #246 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
The CD layer of the new hybrid SACD of Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" is HDCD encoded. However, it's unmarked on the disc and on the packaging.

How does it sound compared to the original CD version of BIN?

May 25, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #247 of 597
Not able to compare the original CD to the SACD layer yet. However, the CD layer of the SACD blows the original CD into the weeds (when decoded w/ HDCD). Much more enjoyable with the CD layer of the SACD.

Here's some reaction to the SACD of "Brothers In Arms".

May 25, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #248 of 597
Damn. Guess I'll have to buy the hybrid of this CD as well. I seem to be replacing a lot of favorites this year with remasters of one sort or another. The remastered Joe Jackson "Night & Day" and Sade "Diamond Life" are two that have dented my wallet in the last 2 weeks.

Jun 2, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #249 of 597
I was delighted to see that The Band's 'The Last Waltz' (four disc set) is HDCD. Never played it in that player before. It appears to be unmarked.

Jun 2, 2005 at 11:35 AM Post #250 of 597
King Crimson, In the Court of the Crimson King (HDCD marked).

This is the "new" remaster from Sept. 2004. See markl's post (#5) in the King Crimson remaster thread.

Jun 10, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #251 of 597
I was totally shocked to see my indicator light go on for:

Kaada/Patton: Romances

It's unlabelled, and may as well be put under 'Rock'. It's a very good disc of electronics and atmospheric vocals. The Kaada guy is a musician from Norway, Patton is the former singer of Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, current Fantomas, and a million side projects like this one. Here's an AMG review, 4 stars, if anyone's interested:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:ad67gjwr56iw

Jun 26, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #252 of 597
New box from amazon.ca had yielded 2 new unexpected and unmarked HDCDs:

Archer Prewitt - In the Sun
Sea and Cake - Oui

Both also feature very high production values, and very crisp sound. Highly recommended, especially the Archer Prewitt title. Also of note is that I have all of his full studio albums,a nd this is the only HDCD...

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #253 of 597
Another one:

Mile Davis - A tribute to Jack Johnson (2005 Remaster) unmarked

I must say, when the light came on, I was surprised, as no other Miles release that I know of has been released in HDCD format. Sound quality is stunning, even on my Senn HD590s...
Anyone remotely interested in jazz/rock really should have this.

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #254 of 597
Funnily, I was prompted to dig out Spiritualized 'Let it Come Down' for a listen after mentioning it on the unusual packaging thread. It turns out to be HDCD. I had no idea. It's unmarked. I must add that it's the special edition I have. I wouldn't think the actual disc would be different from the regular one, but you never know. Maybe someone can check a regular version.

Also, I've listened to my copies of the Prewitt and Sea and Cake albums mentioned above, and mine are also HDCD. And looks like I'll be buying this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironchef
Mile Davis - A tribute to Jack Johnson (2005 Remaster)

for the third time. D'oh! It'll be worth it, though, it's one of my very favourite Miles records. I saw it for $10 CDN a bit ago so it's not too bad.

Jul 25, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #255 of 597
Thanks for the heads up on the Spritualized, one of my favourites, and I hadn't picked that one up yet.
If you loved McLaughlin's guitar on the previous version, you may hear even more of it this time - I hope so, after 3 purchases!

One more to add, unmarked:

Ricky Scaggs - Bluegrass Rules

I'm no country fan, but this is hella fun, and it even has a sad car accident song...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back