HD800S-like headphone?
Apr 18, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #16 of 23
Your reality will be a limited one.

The closest headphone (and one that is quite a bit better) is the HEDD. It will bring a rather wide soundstage compared to most of the field,
retain more clarity and resolution while providing just enough more full-body without bordering into bloat nor extra warmth.
It's also just appreciably more dynamic and engaging.

The HEDD has one downside and it's the weight which may cause comfort issues.

Apr 18, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #17 of 23
Your reality will be a limited one.

The closest headphone (and one that is quite a bit better) is the HEDD. It will bring a rather wide soundstage compared to most of the field,
retain more clarity and resolution while providing just enough more full-body without bordering into bloat nor extra warmth.
It's also just appreciably more dynamic and engaging.

The HEDD has one downside and it's the weight which may cause comfort issues.

Thanks for the suggestion.

So far, below is what I can possibly loan:
  • HD820
  • HEDD
  • HD800S (for comparison)
And my local store recommended the following too - what do you think?:
  • ZMF Verite
  • Focal Stellia
I wish I could loan all them together but I don't think that's possible. I'll loan in pairs plus the HD800S for comparison I guess.

Apr 18, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #18 of 23

• HD820
  • HEDD
  • ZMF Verite
  • Focal Stellia
I wish I could loan all them together but I don't think that's possible. I'll loan in pairs plus the HD800S for comparison I guess.
I owned and loved the 800S, had the 820 here for a few weeks and it was a problematic headphone for myself and others. I was selling it on behalf of a friend and he decided to sell it because the fit was terrible, he couldn't get it to seal so the bass was weak. I had the exact same problem, no matter what it wouldn't seal and what I did hear of it, I personally very much preferred the 800S. The 800S fit me perfectly so I was shocked that the 820 fit was so problematic, and I have read that this is not as uncommon an issue as you would expect.

And as others have stated, the ZMF offerings are going to be very different in tonality. You may love them, but if you do it wouldn't be for the same reasons that the 800S appeals to you.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #19 of 23

• HD820
  • HEDD
  • ZMF Verite
  • Focal Stellia
I was trying to follow your preference. And balance the potential complementary addition.

Considering you haven't tried many headphones, it may be best to remain open to all suggestions and do your best from there to aggregate as many anecdotes as you can to streamline what is available for you to demo.

If you'd like to pursue a different sound characteristic from the HD800 without really sacrificing the technical attributes the HD800 excels in, the Verite would be a top consideration.

If you can opt to extend your budget, well, the rabbit-hole goes very, very endlessly deep. :wink:

Apr 18, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #20 of 23
I owned and loved the 800S, had the 820 here for a few weeks and it was a problematic headphone for myself and others. I was selling it on behalf of a friend and he decided to sell it because the fit was terrible, he couldn't get it to seal so the bass was weak. I had the exact same problem, no matter what it wouldn't seal and what I did hear of it, I personally very much preferred the 800S. The 800S fit me perfectly so I was shocked that the 820 fit was so problematic, and I have read that this is not as uncommon an issue as you would expect.

And as others have stated, the ZMF offerings are going to be very different in tonality. You may love them, but if you do it wouldn't be for the same reasons that the 800S appeals to you.
Hi! Have tried only the Auteur and the Aeolus so far. I like the Auteur but I am not too eager about it. I'd prefer it over my Amiron, sure but for me, it doesn't feel right to be my second pair. There is this feeling that there could be something else within that price bracket that makes me want to try other options. To be honest, when there's a lot of choices, it gets harder to pick. When I got my Amiron, it was my first set of cans, I only had to compare it with the DT1990 Pro so it was easy back then.

I was trying to follow your preference. And balance the potential complementary addition.

Considering you haven't tried many headphones, it may be best to remain open to all suggestions and do your best from there to aggregate as many anecdotes as you can to streamline what is available for you to demo.

If you'd like to pursue a different sound characteristic from the HD800 without really sacrificing the technical attributes the HD800 excels in, the Verite would be a top consideration.

If you can opt to extend your budget, well, the rabbit-hole goes very, very endlessly deep. :wink:
I agree with you on this. Sadly, I'm in it now and I feel like I can't go back! I need help :frowning2:
I started with the Apple earpods. Life was simple back then. I mean I was happy and contented I got to listen to a fine set of earphones.
Then this colleague of mine introduced me to this hobby that I never thought I'd find myself in. He'd say things like "there are headphones that cost $1000", and I would be like "I wouldn't be that stupid to spend that amount of money for a headphone". And here I am. Trapped. LOL

Verite was also suggested by my local store. I trust that they know my preference very well as I've been getting stuff from them for a year now.
Here's the complete recommendation with rankings:
1) ZMF Auteur (Ambrosia Maple)
2) ZMF Aeolus
3) ADX5000
4) Focal Clear
5) ZMF Verite Open (The Ziricote is great)
6) ZMF Verite Closed
7) Focal Stellia
8) HD800S
9) HD820

Apr 18, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #22 of 23
For the people who think the bass is lacking and the soundstage is too wide the HD820 might be better.
I have a big head, so I get a good seal.

Here are my comments on the headphones listed:

1) ZMF Auteur (I think I preferred the bass impact of the Eikon to this)
2) ZMF Aeolus (don't remember.)
3) ADX5000 (haven't heard)
4) Focal Clear (Sounds very transparent like the HD800S, but soundstage is small)
5) ZMF Verite Open (Sounds good, though I didn't spend enough time with them. Wasn't immediately impressed. Bass may have been lacking.)
6) ZMF Verite Closed (Has a very closed-back sound compared to the Verite Open. Wouldn't recommend.)
7) Focal Stellia (Sounds pretty good, though I didn't spend much time with them. Soundstage is small.)
8) HD800S (I prefer the overall sound slightly because it's wider and airier than the HD820)
9) HD820 (I prefer the build quality, slightly higher isolation, and more bass)

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #23 of 23
For the people who think the bass is lacking and the soundstage is too wide the HD820 might be better.
I have a big head, so I get a good seal.

Here are my comments on the headphones listed:

1) ZMF Auteur (I think I preferred the bass impact of the Eikon to this)
2) ZMF Aeolus (don't remember.)
3) ADX5000 (haven't heard)
4) Focal Clear (Sounds very transparent like the HD800S, but soundstage is small)
5) ZMF Verite Open (Sounds good, though I didn't spend enough time with them. Wasn't immediately impressed. Bass may have been lacking.)
6) ZMF Verite Closed (Has a very closed-back sound compared to the Verite Open. Wouldn't recommend.)
7) Focal Stellia (Sounds pretty good, though I didn't spend much time with them. Soundstage is small.)
8) HD800S (I prefer the overall sound slightly because it's wider and airier than the HD820)
9) HD820 (I prefer the build quality, slightly higher isolation, and more bass)

I will keep this in mind.
So far I haven't tested the Focal Clear, Verite, Stellia, and HD820.
Hopefully I will be fine satisfied with HD800S so that my wallet won't scream that much. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back