HD800S @ AE-9 - Would it be worth buying a Sennheiser HDV 820?
May 30, 2020 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rafassbr

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
Happy to be part of this forum! :relaxed:

First, I would like to provide some context about me. Also, I would like to mention I searched before posting but couldn't find any post directly related to my needs/doubts.

A few months ago I upgraded from an ATH-AD700X @ AE-5 to a Sennheiser HD800S @ Creative AE-9 and the difference is huge in both listening to music and gaming, as expected. I enjoy listening to old songs when I didn't have these high-end peripherals. It feels like they are new songs. There are so many details I never imagined they were there. Fantastic!

I am an FPS gamer (therefore I need surround for gaming) and I've been always exigent about audio in games. I feel I have a great advantage of playing with such high-end peripherals. I can pinpoint enemies so easily and precisely that sometimes I feel like a bat - knowing enemies position without seeing them.

But since I first listened to Flac files using my AD700X@AE-5 (hp mode) I realized how enjoyable listening to a song can be. Now, I mainly use my PC for playing FPS games and to listen to high res. songs.

Therefore, I was wondering... Would the difference be noticeable between the AE-9 and an HDV 820?

Quick comparison:

AE-9
Impedance: up to 600Ω
Max playback resolution: PCM: 32-bit / 384 kHz - DSD: DSD64
DAC: ESS SABRE-class 9038
THD: 0.0001%

HDV 820
Impedance: up to 600Ω
Max playback resolution: 32-bit / 384 kHz - DSD256 files of up to 12.3 MHz
DAC: ESS SABRE32
THD: < 0.001 %

How would I set?
Gaming: optical from the soundcard to the HDV 820 - maintaining 7.1 surround for FPS games (Correct?)
Music: USB from the PC to the HDV 820.

I know how expensive HDV820 is, especially when compared to the AE-9 350,00 price tag.
Therefore, I expect the HDV820 to sound better for music (noticeable?). What about gaming? Would I notice any improvement?

If there is anyone with similar needs/experience and could comment it would be very appreciated. Hopefully, this could help someone else with the same doubt.

Thank you!

May 30, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 2
If you have the ears for it, the 800/800S should be resolving enough to let you hear a difference in those two dacamps.

But check here for threads on the HDV820. I'm not sure everybody agrees it's the best you can do for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back