HD800 vs HE500
Jan 3, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #541 of 1,025

"thick" doesn't mean less details or more forgiving.
in addition, be careful if someone puts a word between quotes......that's in fact "thin" not thin.
lush may be a good word though

Just trying to understand what you mean by thin mid.  Let's not sidetrack and start up something else, shall we?

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #543 of 1,025
To be honest even I found the mids, especially female vocals, upper mids to be bad on the HD800 the first time I heard it and even when I run it through a different chain now. I can see thin to be a word to describe it, but a better word would be unfocused. The wide soundstaging causes this imo, as it stretches out the voice unnaturally. I've since fixed this by adding the Quickie to my chain, and the vocals and mids are very lush now. The HD800 is very chain dependent.

I would like to add ear dependent too. 
wink.gif
  Btw, J is bringing his HD800 over tmr afternoon.  We'll confirm what you and I have been wondering about.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #544 of 1,025
  I try to be as clear as possible! I'm not a native english speaker, so maybe I can't explain very well

It's all good Blasyrkh.  English is confusing enough without having to describe sound characteristics of HPs. I just found what you said about HD800 having thin mid overall very strange and opposite of my personal experience.  The first thing that came to my mind when listening to a friend's HD800 on my WA22 was "wow, that is thick/forward/detailed mid", much more so than my HE500.  That's a big part of why I ended up buying the HD800 for myself over some other choices.  As Sonido said though, HD800 is very chain dependent.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #546 of 1,025
  Yep, the HD800 is one of the most amp picky headphones.

Pesonally, I would say that the HD800 is amp/source component sensitive rather than saying it's picky.
I am listening right now to my HD800 at the office driven by my cheapo Fiio E17/E09K.  While the SQ is not comparable to my WA22,  I wouldn't call it horrible.  The Fiio combo actually calms the HD800 quite a bit.   Am I too easy to please? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #547 of 1,025
  Pesonally, I would say that the HD800 is amp/source component sensitive rather than saying it's picky.
I am listening right now to my HD800 at the office driven by my cheapo Fiio E17/E09K.  While the SQ is not comparable to my WA22,  I wouldn't call it horrible.  The Fiio combo actually calms the HD800 quite a bit.   Am I too easy to please? 
biggrin.gif

is there the thick/forward/detailed mid with the fiio? :D

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #548 of 1,025
biggrin.gif

Sometimes I drive my HD800 by the E12, it's fine but not comparable with when I use them with the Lyr. The Lyr is NOT a perfect amp for the HD800 though.  

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #549 of 1,025
  is there the thick/forward/detailed mid with the fiio? :D

less forward, less detailed, less thick.  The Fiio's drop the entire mid of the HD800 down a notch but still very enjoyable for listening while working/focusing on something else.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #552 of 1,025

Not sure about "less thick" 
rolleyes.gif

How about less dense, not as much timbre details, not as full?  all those together = thick for me. 
biggrin.gif

I am cross-using terms I often use in mixing/mastering.  Not sure these terms will communicate correctly what i am trying to convey when it comes to HPs.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #554 of 1,025
I can't believe it ... thin mids. No way. I found the mids from HD800 is one of his biggest strength.
They are so damn clear and not dull or airless like they are from LCD-2 or LCD-X. That is one of the reason why I kept the HD800 instead of LCD-X. Especially voices are to dark and sound not naturally and the voices from HE-500 are weird (at least in my ears).
As I already wrote I don't like the sound from HE-500. For me the LCD-X and HD800 are one no two steps better. Especially the HD800. So damn clear and if the record has bass, you will get it !
Two hours ago I listen to different kind of music. Keb Mo, Fourplay, Fleetwood Mac, Tracy Chapman, Amos, Lee, etc. and all records sound so amazing. Neither too much or too less bass. Only perfect. But it really depends on your preferences and what do you expect from your headphone.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #555 of 1,025
  I can't believe it ... thin mids. No way. I found the mids from HD800 is one of his biggest strength.
They are so damn clear and not dull or airless like they are from LCD-2 or LCD-X. That is one of the reason why I kept the HD800 instead of LCD-X. Especially voices are to dark and sound not naturally and the voices from HE-500 are weird (at least in my ears).
As I already wrote I don't like the sound from HE-500. For me the LCD-X and HD800 are one no two steps better. Especially the HD800. So damn clear and if the record has bass, you will get it !
Two hours ago I listen to different kind of music. Keb Mo, Fourplay, Fleetwood Mac, Tracy Chapman, Amos, Lee, etc. and all records sound so amazing. Neither too much or too less bass. Only perfect. But it really depends on your preferences and what do you expect from your headphone.

Maybe it's better to say "less thick" than "thin".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back