HD800 vs HE500
Jan 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #527 of 1,025
Thin midrange out of HD800 ? You cannot be serious
eek.gif

And drums kicks and bass guitars are very good as well. Maybe not in combination with heavy metal but jazz, instrumental, blues and normal rock/pop.

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #531 of 1,025

it's not only about bass....midrange is important too...

boosted bass doesn't mean more impact or weigth to the sound, but only more bass.

hd800's "thin" midrange can't handle distorted guitars sound like coming from a 12" speaker amp....even if it had more bass.

I bowed out from this thread but this was too interesting not to say something (plus it's not about HD800 vs HE500
biggrin.gif
)

Thin mid range from HD800?  Wow.  Please define or give me an example of thick mid range from other HPs.

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #532 of 1,025
  Thin midrange out of HD800 ? You cannot be serious
eek.gif

And drums kicks and bass guitars are very good as well. Maybe not in combination with heavy metal but jazz, instrumental, blues and normal rock/pop.

yes I am. but i'm not saying it is not good,

however good or enjoyable doesn't mean best....

even the HE500 is not the best, I only think that amped instruments are handled better with HE500...there's much more balance between weight, transparency and punch

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #536 of 1,025

HD650, Denon D7000, RS1, HE500...should I go on?
rolleyes.gif

lol, the only one on your list that I haven't listened to is the RS1, no their mid is not thicker than HD800's.  Even my jergpad HE500 driven by a speaker amp doesn't have thicker mid than HD800.  I don't think the term "thick/thin" is correct for what you might be describing here. 
More lush, less details, more forgiving, less forward  = yes.  Thicker = no.  IMO anyway.

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #537 of 1,025

lol, the only one on your list that I haven't listened to is the RS1, no their mid is not thicker than HD800's.  Even my jergpad HE500 driven by a speaker amp doesn't have thicker mid than HD800.  I don't think the term "thick/thin" is correct for what you might be describing here. 
More lush, less details, more forgiving, less forward  = yes.  Thicker = no.  IMO anyway.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #538 of 1,025
To be honest even I found the mids, especially female vocals, upper mids to be bad on the HD800 the first time I heard it and even when I run it through a different chain now. I can see thin to be a word to describe it, but a better word would be unfocused. The wide soundstaging causes this imo, as it stretches out the voice unnaturally. I've since fixed this by adding the Quickie to my chain, and the vocals and mids are very lush now. The HD800 is very chain dependent.

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #539 of 1,025

"thick" doesn't mean less details or more forgiving.
in addition, be careful if someone puts a word between quotes......that's in fact "thin" not thin.
lush may be a good word though

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #540 of 1,025
To be honest even I found the mids, especially female vocals, upper mids to be bad on the HD800 the first time I heard it and even when I run it through a different chain now. I can see thin to be a word to describe it, but a better word would be unfocused. The wide soundstaging causes this imo, as it stretches out the voice unnaturally. I've since fixed this by adding the Quickie to my chain, and the vocals and mids are very lush now. The HD800 is very chain dependent.

undoubtly!

in fact i wasn't able to enjoy it strait from the DAC1...much better with the Yaoin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back