HD800 vs HE1000/MHP1000 impressions. Suprises all around!
Sep 21, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #271 of 317
I'm not sure why people are so down on the looks anyway. They're Beyer-like, naturally, given that they were involved in the design phase, but Beyers always look pretty classy to me. The T1 for instance, is a sleek, stylish, minimal design. Who wants the kind of OTT bling that companies like Final Audio and Ultrasone put out? It's a pair of headphones, not a crown. I also agree that looks are a distant second to sound quality, but there are a handful of headphones that look so ridiculous it's a deal-breaker.

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #272 of 317
  Whoa, struck a nerve 
mad.gif

LOL you're the one who came out swinging with "who cares what it looks like".  I wasn't as serious as that sounded to you (and I'm sure you too).  
beerchug.gif

Anyway it's not bad looking at all.  I haven't really stepped up to $2000 headphones, so I am still trying to find ways to justify it.  I was definitely impressed by the MHP-1000.  It's a great performer, along with some classic McIntosh looks.  And the personal demo by Ron Cornelius really had me sold if it wasn't 2000(MHP1000)+4500(MHA100).

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #274 of 317
Oct 17, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #275 of 317
I was fortunate enough to hear all three with same system and I am not the only one who would put these three, in this order:

1- HD800 = higher level of realism
2- MHP1000 = open, linear, punchy
3- HE 1000 = grand, nice, with soft sub bass, but overall less resolution in presentation than the two above...

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #276 of 317

Just came back from DMA in Hong Kong and had the chance to sample the he1000, he6, lcd800 and lcd3. No time for the stax unfortunately. Overall very impressed by the he1000 but not a clear winner vs hd800. Despite all the stated shortcomings of the hd800, it's soundstage and airiness remains special and a real treat. The sound is also a bit more in front vs in your head. But he1000 was clearly exceptional too with unique precision and slam. If I had to buy one, I was leaning and actually ready to go with the hd800. Not necessarily better but the price difference vs value difference makes it in my mind a better buy. Both so close and exceptional and of similar value .
I luckily didn't go ahead as I just read about the hd800s. If sennheiser prices it below $2k, they will clean up the market.

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #277 of 317
this doesn't surprise me based on my own comparison of the he1000 and hd800. looking forward to the release of the hd800s so i can give it a listen.

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #278 of 317
  I'm enjoying the MHP1000 immensely.  Certainly surprised by this one.

- Very nice Cable ! What cable is it ? does it improve sound V/S the stock cable ? 

- In general, based on the comments here the MHP1000 is a real surprise for me. I did not expected it to be considered THAT GOOD ! I definitively need to find a way to listen to it since I am always looking for a good isolating closed headphone.  
--> Does it isolate well or does it leak ?

- last question: The HD800 is much more efficient than the HE1000 (able to be used with modest amplifiers), but what about the MPH1000 ?  Does it need powerful amplifiers ? 

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #279 of 317
Does it isolate well or does it leak ?

Doesn't leak much if I recall. Definitely not like the HD800 does.

but what about the MPH1000 ?  Does it need powerful amplifiers ? 

I'd say the HE1000 is about half as efficient as the HD800 if not less. You certainly don't want to be using it on your ipod.

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #281 of 317
Oct 27, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #282 of 317
Correct, I was wondering about the Mcintosh MPH1000

In terms of does it require a powerful amp, I don't believe so. Nominal SPL: 97 dB/mW. Not sure what the efficiency of the HD800 is, but I find the MHP1000 requires less power than the HD800 to drive. In practical terms, using my Hugo, it's mid-way or below on the volume pot for the MHP1000 + well above that for the HD800, to reach comparable listening levels. I'm sure a lot of people will tell you that you must use the MHA100 to get the best from these 'phones. I've demoed that pairing myself and like it, but currently use mine with the Hugo and am more than happy with this combo.

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #283 of 317
more to compare HD800 vs HE1000 for headphone listening I use SPL Phonitor this amplifier has HD800 a weak bass and aggressive height - HE1000 solid, accurate, deep bass, beautiful, clean, non-aggressive height, excellent definition of instruments and phenomenal space - simply live sound, HD 800 is needed to to choose the appropriate tube amplifier 
gs1000.gif

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #284 of 317
I got the chance to demo the HD800S today and took along my MHP1000 for a side-by-side comparison. Thought I'd write up my brief impressions as I normally seem to spend far more time on this site talking about music than I do about gear 
biggrin.gif

I should preface my impressions by saying I know it's comparing apples and oranges to a degree, but blame OP for that - I didn't start this thread! I didn't expect night and day differences (I never do) and sure enough there weren't, so no exciting hyperbolic revelations will be forthcoming! I was using a Chord Hugo as DAC/amp and a selection of tracks from a variety of genres including electronic, rock, hip hop, jazz and acoustic.

So...

Putting them on, I noticed how light the S is on the head, and how comfortable - just like the original HD800 in that respect, as you'd expect. Unless you have truly colossal ears, the pads give you space around your ears and then some. The MHP1000 by contrast, is best described as a snug fit, especially if your ears are on the larger side!

In terms of the sound, the first thing that struck me with the S is how smooth the treble response is - every track I threw at them, even some lower quality ones, was reproduced with incredibly smooth treble, without the slightest hint of harshness - but in no way did it feel like detail was compromised either. This was probably the single biggest win over the 1000 for me, which can occasionally get a little hot up top with brighter recordings. However, the 1000 wins out in the bass department, quantity-wise at least - both 'phones extend very well, but there was no denying the visceral impact and slam of the MHP1000 over the HD800S. On certain rock tracks especially, the S seemed a bit lacking in body compared with the 1000 - a little less meat on the bones!

In terms of stereo image width, I'd give it to the S, although the 1000 is no slouch in this department. It's been referred to several times as a closed-back HD800 and with good reason IMO - by far the most out-of-your-head sounding of any closed-back I've tried. The S though, conveys an amazing sense of space for a pair of headphones; the imaging is so on point, especially when listening to Jazz and acoustic music. As far as detail retrieval goes, I would say it's pretty close - both cans are excellent in this regard - but in terms of transparency, I have to give it to the S; the 1000 can occasionally sound a bit congested by comparison.

Overall, the HD800S is mighty impressive and I look forward to auditioning them again. My initial impressions are that they have the edge in several departments including clarity, resolution and accuracy of reproduction, though they do lag behind the 1000 in terms of bass slam; quick-switching between the two really brings that point home.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #285 of 317
  I got the chance to demo the HD800S today and took along my MHP1000 for a side-by-side comparison. Thought I'd write up my brief impressions as I normally seem to spend far more time on this site talking about music than I do about gear 
biggrin.gif

Nice write up WA, surprised no one has commented sooner.

Thanks for the comparisson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back